Sign in to follow this  
bigedcoach

So what is next?

Bigedcoach who and how do you propose to track all that paperwork for weight certifications?

Its one form and you tourn it in to your district tournament host at the district seed meeting to be eligible. I would have no problem creating this form for the state if they asked. It was done like this for the KHSAA for a few years and middle school was close to this. Since Im not attached to any middle school program , Im always willing to help out in an unbias way.

Its one form and you tourn it in to your district tournament host at the district seed meeting to be eligible. I would have no problem creating this form for the state if they asked. It was done like this for the KHSAA for a few years and middle school was close to this. Since Im not attached to any middle school program , Im always willing to help out in an unbias way.

So your plan is to add it to the District Host list of everything else to check and verify?  That would make for an all day seeding meeting if you waited until then to turn in the forms.  It is already a difficult process to make sure all teams and wrestlers are up to date with their USA Cards, Track wrestling registrations, rosters are correct, all while trying to get your own team ready for Districts.  

So your plan is to add it to the District Host list of everything else to check and verify?  That would make for an all day seeding meeting if you waited until then to turn in the forms.  It is already a difficult process to make sure all teams and wrestlers are up to date with their USA Cards, Track wrestling registrations, rosters are correct, all while trying to get your own team ready for Districts.  

why is track wrestling used for middle school? actually I have ran seed meetings for HS regions and districts and had to do similar work and the meetings didnt last over 45  mins probably take longer for MS since there are 4 more weight classes, but if everything is online, it should make it easier and quicker looking at the stats program.

I guess when you are on the inside looking out it difficult to see the Disenfranchisement (to deprive a person or organization of a privilege).   Stan I do not want you or Range to think I am attacking you or the hard work both of you have contribute to Kentucky Wrestling in general not just the youth program.   However, the youth association has failed to promote wrestling in rural areas.  Check your state tournament number and I believe you can see that.  Here is the currently scenario / cost a wrestler and his parents have to go through to wrestle the elementary state coming from Johnson County. (I believe this applies to most of the rural areas of KY).

Cost:  AAU Card:  10$      Region Tournament entry fee:  10$   Transportation: Region (40$) Parents will have to transport their wrestler 75 miles (1 hour ½ (150 x 30 cents a mile)) to the Region held at Perry Central.  Admission: 12$ Food: 25$,   They will only be 25 to 30 wrestlers with 75% being from Johnson County.  In short we will wrestle ourselves and / or get 1   match.   Total cost of Region 97$

Total Cost of State: 255 (Transpiration 75$, Room 75$, Food 75$ Entry Fee 10$, Admission 20$)

So to make a long story short it will cost the parents 352 dollars to wrestle 2 matches.  You don’t see disenfranchisement in that? 

I guess when you are on the inside looking out it difficult to see the Disenfranchisement (to deprive a person or organization of a privilege).   Stan I do not want you or Range to think I am attacking you or the hard work both of you have contribute to Kentucky Wrestling in general not just the youth program.   However, the youth association has failed to promote wrestling in rural areas.  Check your state tournament number and I believe you can see that.  Here is the currently scenario / cost a wrestler and his parents have to go through to wrestle the elementary state coming from Johnson County. (I believe this applies to most of the rural areas of KY).

Cost:  AAU Card:  10$      Region Tournament entry fee:  10$   Transportation: Region (40$) Parents will have to transport their wrestler 75 miles (1 hour ½ (150 x 30 cents a mile)) to the Region held at Perry Central.  Admission: 12$ Food: 25$,   They will only be 25 to 30 wrestlers with 75% being from Johnson County.  In short we will wrestle ourselves and / or get 1   match.   Total cost of Region 97$

Total Cost of State: 255 (Transpiration 75$, Room 75$, Food 75$ Entry Fee 10$, Admission 20$)

So to make a long story short it will cost the parents 352 dollars to wrestle 2 matches.  You don’t see disenfranchisement in that? 

So you want the association to cover those cost?  How can the association from a distance actively promote wrestling in those areas.  Doesn't that responsibility really come down to the local coaches and parents in that area to get things going.  Where are the HS in those areas?  Are they doing anything to help promote and get the numbers up?  

JCB- I dont know if there is a perfect answer to the problems of youth wrestling in the rual areas. I feel sorry for teams from your area of the state, i think the only solution is growth, Sports are exspensive and I know there are probably little opportunity for fundraisers.

In the beginning that was one of the reasons we discussed having the elementary state move from region to region.  A rural team hosting the state could make enough money to run their youth form for years.   In addition, having the 6 regional tournaments on different weekends and using them for seeding the elementary state would increase the number of youth in all regional tournaments and increase gate for all.  Also allow the regional tournaments becoming somewhat of a youth season in the process. 

In the beginning that was one of the reasons we discussed having the elementary state move from region to region.  A rural team hosting the state could make enough money to run their youth form for years.   In addition, having the 6 regional tournaments on different weekends and using them for seeding the elementary state would increase the number of youth in all regional tournaments and increase gate for all.  Also allow the regional tournaments becoming somewhat of a youth season in the process. 

But yet, there are only so many places that can hold 1000 kids to wrestle.  State has been open every year to teams that wanted to host it, last year an entire region decided to host it together and spread the money out between the teams and it seemed to work out.  This year during the meeting, no one wanted to host the tournament, everyone just looked around the room and thankfully the NKY stepped up to host the tournament.  There are opportunities for the regions and teams in the "rural areas" to run the state tournament and make money for their programs, and use that as a tool to grow the sport.  Many choose not to.  

• Upvote 1

I guess when you are on the inside looking out it difficult to see the Disenfranchisement (to deprive a person or organization of a privilege). Stan I do not want you or Range to think I am attacking you or the hard work both of you have contribute to Kentucky Wrestling in general not just the youth program. However, the youth association has failed to promote wrestling in rural areas. Check your state tournament number and I believe you can see that. Here is the currently scenario / cost a wrestler and his parents have to go through to wrestle the elementary state coming from Johnson County. (I believe this applies to most of the rural areas of KY).

Cost: AAU Card: 10$ Region Tournament entry fee: 10$ Transportation: Region (40$) Parents will have to transport their wrestler 75 miles (1 hour ½ (150 x 30 cents a mile)) to the Region held at Perry Central. Admission: 12$ Food: 25$, They will only be 25 to 30 wrestlers with 75% being from Johnson County. In short we will wrestle ourselves and / or get 1 match. Total cost of Region 97$

So to make a long story short it will cost the parents 352 dollars to wrestle 2 matches. You don’t see disenfranchisement in that?

The only people who should be blamed for depriving kids from those areas from wrestling are the adults in those areas who haven't figured out a way to or don't care to get youth wrestling off the ground. Everyone understands and has sympathy for the disadvantages with rural areas (population, money, travel). But how can you blame that on anyone else and what are your solutions to this "disenfranchisement"? To answer your question, no one is depriving anyone in this state to wrestle youth.

• Upvote 1

In the beginning that was one of the reasons we discussed having the elementary state move from region to region. A rural team hosting the state could make enough money to run their youth form for years. In addition, having the 6 regional tournaments on different weekends and using them for seeding the elementary state would increase the number of youth in all regional tournaments and increase gate for all. Also allow the regional tournaments becoming somewhat of a youth season in the process.

The problem with your logic about taking the profits from the state tournament is most of the rural teams don't jump at the opportunity to host and/or don't have the man power to pull it off. If raising money is the issue, have a car wash, host a tournament, have a golf outing....you'll make more money and it would be easier. I assure you that hosting the state tournament is not easy and doesn't yield as much profit as you think.

I just mapquested the distance to Johnson county--it's over 200 miles from where I live near Louisville. My point is that geography is a serious impediment in our state. Mucho respect to the rural schools and their dedication to the sport.

My son wrestles for Johnson County and if we want to wrestle we have to always travel. You just get used to it. He wrestles with the middle school but he still also wrestles the youth circuit, he's 9. We travel every weekend (when the middle school isn't wrestling after the season) 3 or 4 hours away to Oh, WV, PA to find matches. Like this weekend we have to travel past Columbus to get matches. The travel cost is outrageous but if you want your child to get better and he has the want to it has to be done.

Regarding the overall cost of participation, if you're not willing to pass the full cost on to parents or parents are unable to bear the cost and refuse to participate at the current expense level, then IMO you have hit a point that requires creative and season long fundraising. You have to go after that cost yourself, rather than hoping the events can come closer to you. It is the price we pay (no pun intended) when we choose to participate in a "minor" sport or a sport that is not popular in our local area, i.e. one that isn't football or basketball, and in some areas baseball. Fewer teams and fewer kids involved overall always means fewer / no local leagues, more travel cost, and more effort for parents. Swimming, tennis, equestrian, archery, fishing, and plenty of other sports have the same complaints, I'd suspect. I don't begrudge the N. KY and Louisville areas for having more clubs & teams around them, and for not having to travel as far to find good competition as a result. Their proximity to IN and OH and their efforts to bring those models over the borders and into their areas have been a very good thing for our sport. I wish the Lexington area was the same way (it is improving, at least on a MS level), but until it is we're stuck with packing our bags.

That being said, my 1st son, who does not wrestle, plays MS basketball and baseball. Those season fees (plus tournament team entry fees, equipment costs, etc.) easily exceed the typical amounts we spend on a wrestling season. As does my daughter's year-round swim team, with pool rental fees and a paid coach and most meets 2 days long. During wrestling season we travel at least an hour almost every weekend for events, and we spent 4 years driving 2+ hours to tournaments in Cincinnati all winter long as youth, so I think I'm in at least a somewhat comparable situation. We definitely don't wrestle in the Central KY neighborhood exclusively during the season. When everything is weighed, I still consider MS wrestling a "bargain".

Our summer travel baseball team chooses to try to help alleviate the cost pressures with coupon book sales, gift sales, yard sales, mulch sales, car washes, comedy club nights, and darn near everything else you can think of to try to generate a positive team cash flow. The swim team has a license that allows them to work bingo nights, etc. No reason a wrestling team can't do the same thing and fund-raise year round. That being said, it's dedication and elbow grease any way you slice it to be sure. Just like the sport itself. :)

• Upvote 1

But with high schoolers, you only have one wrestler per weight class for districts. Some middle school teams have three or four wrestlers per weight class which creates a lot more paper work. Also high school has set weight classes across the nation. Many middle school programs travel to different states with different weight classes so the paperwork becomes a lot more confusing.

But with high schoolers, you only have one wrestler per weight class for districts. Some middle school teams have three or four wrestlers per weight class which creates a lot more paper work. Also high school has set weight classes across the nation. Many middle school programs travel to different states with different weight classes so the paperwork becomes a lot more confusing.

ok 1 piece of paper per kid at most, you only need 3 weigh ins. we are not talking wrestling a national circuit. This is easier than it sounds.

I was told by your head coach the amount you made the  year you hosted and I know it's way more than any other team has ever come close to making.  Enough to fund a team for several years.

I don't understand how much is needed to run a youth program.  In our club the kids paid their own entry fees for every tournament except our own.  We didn't charge gate fees but of course had a concession stand.  Each kid was also required to pay a club fee of about $50.00 that covered coach's insurance(before USA Wrestling became involved), helped buy singlets and also covered expenses for kids who couldn't pay.  We did not receive a dime from the school system, we raised all of our money by hosting tournaments and picking up trash on the roadways.  It is very hard  and takes a lot of time and patience to get parents on board but it is done in every program around the state if they want to have Youth teams.

The problem with your logic about taking the profits from the state tournament is most of the rural teams don't jump at the opportunity to host and/or don't have the man power to pull it off. If raising money is the issue, have a car wash, host a tournament, have a golf outing....you'll make more money and it would be easier. I assure you that hosting the state tournament is not easy and doesn't yield as much profit as you think.

Thank You.  Finally, you see by NOT moving the state tournament from region to region has disenfranchised most all of the Rural Youth Teams.  In no way is it practical for any rural teams to be able to provide 30 to 40 adult volunteers to travel over 100 miles and stay the night to run the youth state.    The argument that is always provided by those in “power” and was given by plantmanky1 (But yet, there are only so many places that can hold 1000 kids to wrestle.)  is no one  in rural area have the ability or resources.   Frankly that is a crock of B.S.  If you look back at the history of the Elementary State Tournament you will see Larue (350 kids), McCrery (350 kids) Connor (750 Kids), Johnson County, (750) are example of teams who successful held the state tournament.   Honestly my personal experiences of the elementary state tournament were more enjoyable at the different sight.

Bigedcoach - in one of your posts you referred to the refs should make sure they have a usaw ref certification as well as their nfhs certifications to host at one of our hybrid tournaments. I researched this quite a bit as well and as you pointed out this liability stuff is extremely involved. My understanding years ago was that as long as the event was ran according to nfhs guidelines, then the refs were covered through their insurance through high school certification. This is why we had to abide by the five match rule at state. Do you think this is accurate? Just want to get your opinion. I thought we were covered and actually the schools are covered through usaw as well as club teams. It would be great to get you to verify the possible scenarios we have with club teams and school teams meeting up at the various ms competitions we have, and making sure we are covering our basis. Id hate to see ranger or any of our dedicated coaches be homeless because we were misinformed. Kdsmith also knows a lot on this subject.

The officials are told if they want to do middle school matches they need to get their USAW cards also so everyone is still covered. Also in the past if the official didn't have theirs the tournament host will register them that day

Bigedcoach - in one of your posts you referred to the refs should make sure they have a usaw ref certification as well as their nfhs certifications to host at one of our hybrid tournaments. I researched this quite a bit as well and as you pointed out this liability stuff is extremely involved. My understanding years ago was that as long as the event was ran according to nfhs guidelines, then the refs were covered through their insurance through high school certification. This is why we had to abide by the five match rule at state. Do you think this is accurate? Just want to get your opinion. I thought we were covered and actually the schools are covered through usaw as well as club teams. It would be great to get you to verify the possible scenarios we have with club teams and school teams meeting up at the various ms competitions we have, and making sure we are covering our basis. Id hate to see ranger or any of our dedicated coaches be homeless because we were misinformed. Kdsmith also knows a lot on this subject.

Your covered if you have referees have the USA wrestling card. Its easy and Im sure Keith Smith stays on top of it. Schools and clubs are covered by USA wrestling and actual school sponsored teams (Teams that have only kids from one school and actually hire and pay a coach) are lucky because they most likely have both USA and local school insurance. Im sure Ranger's house is safe. I am curious about one thing, if I get back to coaching and take a team to Southern Indiana like we did in the old days, they are all scholastic teams and dont use USA wrestling.

Thank You.  Finally, you see by NOT moving the state tournament from region to region has disenfranchised most all of the Rural Youth Teams.  In no way is it practical for any rural teams to be able to provide 30 to 40 adult volunteers to travel over 100 miles and stay the night to run the youth state.    The argument that is always provided by those in “power” and was given by plantmanky1 (But yet, there are only so many places that can hold 1000 kids to wrestle.)  is no one  in rural area have the ability or resources.   Frankly that is a crock of B.S.  If you look back at the history of the Elementary State Tournament you will see Larue (350 kids), McCrery (350 kids) Connor (750 Kids), Johnson County, (750) are example of teams who successful held the state tournament.   Honestly my personal experiences of the elementary state tournament were more enjoyable at the different sight.

Ok JCB then tell me, why didnt any of the rural teams speak up when the discussion of moving the event to Frankfort was brought up?  Or how about the move to the Horse Park?  They could have spoke up and asked for it to be in their area, did they?      

Your covered if you have referees have the USA wrestling card. Its easy and Im sure Keith Smith stays on top of it. Schools and clubs are covered by USA wrestling and actual school sponsored teams (Teams that have only kids from one school and actually hire and pay a coach) are lucky because they most likely have both USA and local school insurance. Im sure Ranger's house is safe. I am curious about one thing, if I get back to coaching and take a team to Southern Indiana like we did in the old days, they are all scholastic teams and dont use USA wrestling.

BTW just to inform everyone, Middle school sponsored teams, are not covered via insurance as many think they are.  The August HCR 155 Task force meeting was very informative on the matter.  Just because your a school team, that practices in a school, has a coach paid by the BOE, doesn't mean the BOE has insurance for the program that covers anyone.  Some do, many do not, in fact most do not.  Just ask KDE, it was their insurance rep that let that cat out of the bag in the meeting. 

BTW just to inform everyone, Middle school sponsored teams, are not covered via insurance as many think they are.  The August HCR 155 Task force meeting was very informative on the matter.  Just because your a school team, that practices in a school, has a coach paid by the BOE, doesn't mean the BOE has insurance for the program that covers anyone.  Some do, many do not, in fact most do not.  Just ask KDE, it was their insurance rep that let that cat out of the bag in the meeting. 

I was just going on past JCPS data which has a different insurance case, but this is why USA wrestling is so important, you can never have enough insurance

I was just going on past JCPS data which has a different insurance case, but this is why USA wrestling is so important, you can never have enough insurance

Agreed, one of the task force members was a principal from a middle school.  After that meeting they checked their insurance and found out that indeed their middle school athletes in all sports where not covered in the plan that they had.  It cost that school district over $75,000 to get an updated policy that did cover their middle/youth school athletes. 

I not sure why so many people are always complaining about the $10 League card that has the coverage below.

For the record, This card should be purchased on day 1 of your season. The day you step on the mat for the season. This is not for just post season activity. As the infomation explains; coverage does not start until recieved by USA Wrestling or your state director. If a kid gets hurt in practice without the $10 league card and the club having a Charter. Who do you think pays for his injury? School, No they do not in most cases. Parents will pay and try to recoup out of pocket expences through the school. When that don't happen, then they will sue who? the coaches, school, the BOE, etc.

The $10 USA Wrestling league card covers all this along with having a chartered club to cover both member and club/school Volunteers from liability.

INSURANCE COVERAGE

At USA Wrestling, our top priorities are safety and security, that’s why we make sure you’re protected by

insurance coverage considered to be among the most extensive in the sports industry! Please take a few

minutes to familiarize yourself with the following highlights of our policies and coverage. As always, if you

have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact USA Wrestling State Services at (719) 598-8181 or

e-mail info@usawrestling.org.

TYPES OF COVERAGE

• Secondary Sports Accident Insurance: for injuries sustained while wrestling, coaching, or officiating

• General Liability Insurance: to protect all members and volunteers from liability claims (first dollar

legal defense)

Please note that there is no Secondary Sports Accident or Liability coverage for wrestling activities

held at a home or residential dwelling

SECONDARY SPORTS ACCIDENT INSURANCE:

•Coverage is secondary to primary medical insurance

• $1,000,000 aggregate benefit, with the following limits:

•Accidental Dental – $100,000

•Physical Therapy – $100,000

•Orthopedic Appliance – $100,000

• Claims must be filed with primary medical carrier first (if applicable)

•You must follow “in-network” requirements of your primary insurer

•There is a $500 deductible per injury

• Coinsurance rate is 80% – 20% on the first $10,000 after the $500 deductible

•Max out of pocket per injury is $2,500 ($500 deductible + $2,000 coinsurance)

WHO IS COVERED?

• Wrestlers, Coaches, and Officials holding USA Wrestling Membership

WHEN DOES COVERAGE START?

•When you have completed and paid for your membership online; or

•When the state association or its director receives both membership information and fees

WHEN ARE MEMBERS COVERED FOR SECONDARY MEDICAL?

•At USA Wrestling chartered club practices

––Practices must be organized and supervised by a member coach

––All participating club members must be individual USA Wrestling members

•When participating in sanctioned USA Wrestling events and activities

•When traveling directly to or from USA Wrestling sanctioned events or chartered club practices

•While participating in non-sanctioned events

––Events must be formally scheduled, supervised, and conducted by a recognized sports

organization, association, civic group, or school and its rules must be in force

Secondary Sports Accident coverage while at the above non-sanctioned events extends to:

––Member athletes – while competing

––Member coaches – while coaching

––Member officials – while officiating

USA WRESTLING GENERAL LIABILITY COVERAGE

WHAT DOES GENERAL LIABILITY PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR?

•Bodily and personal injury (3rd party)

•Property damage (3rd party)

•Participant legal liability

WHAT ARE THE COMMERCIAL GENERAL LIABILITY POLICY LIMITS?

––$5,000,000 per occurrence

––$100,000 limit on damage to premises rented to you

WHO IS COVERED?

•Wrestlers holding USA Wrestling Athlete Membership

•Coaches holding USA Wrestling Coaches Membership

• Officials holding USA Wrestling Officials Membership

•USA Wrestling Chartered Clubs

•Event directors and volunteers at sanctioned events

• Additional insured entities that are specifically named

•State Associations

WHEN DOES GENERAL LIABILITY COVERAGE APPLY?

For individual members:

•When membership information is submitted and payment is received by USA Wrestling or your state association

For clubs and club volunteers

•When the club submits application and payment to USA Wrestling or your state organization

•All members of the club must also be members of USA Wrestling for coverage to apply

For event directors and event volunteers:

•When the event sanction application is submitted with payment and approved by the state

association. Coverage applies for the duration of the event, to include set-up and tear-down. USA

Wrestling membership must be a requirement for event participation for coverage to apply.

PARTICIPANT LIABILITY

•Provides coverage for claims against participants for acts that the insured is found legally liable

•This does not cover athletes for claims brought against them by another athlete

PROPERTY DAMAGE

•Provides liability coverage for loss or damage to the property of others

•Coverage is subject to a $500 deductible

•Personal effects of individuals, including jewelry and cash are excluded

•Policy does not include full replacement – depreciated value is the basis for claim payment

Auto liability and collision coverage are not included in USA Wrestling’s general liability policy.

Please make sure all drivers are licensed and appropriately insured. We encourage you to visit with

a local insurance agent to discuss coverage options, including a non-owned and hired auto policy

for your club.

CERTIFICATES OF INSURANCE

With an approved event sanction or club charter, you will receive a Certificate of Insurance. This proves

that your club has insurance and states coverage limits. Many facility owners/operators will ask for this

proof as a condition of you using the facility. The owner/operator of a facility may also ask to be listed

as a Certificate Holder on a Certificate of Insurance. This gives the owner/operator proof that you have

insurance and states that they will be notified of any changes.

You can also submit application to name an Additional Insured. Additional insured entities are extended

the same coverage as the event host or chartered club. Schools, school districts, and facility owners/

operators often ask to be an additional insured. You can request an additional insured during the

sanctioning process.

The key difference between a Certificate Holder and an Additional Insured is that the Additional Insured

is extended liability coverage. A Certificate Holder is only provided proof that the event host or chartered

club has liability insurance and the Certificate Holder will be notified of any changes in coverage.

CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE & ADDITIONAL INSURED PROCESSING PROCEDURES

•Fill out an application for Sanction of Event or Club Charter [whichever is applicable]. This is proof

that the event host, the club, its directors, and volunteers are provided liability insurance coverage for

covered claims and related litigation within the conditions and limits of the policy procured by USA

wrestling. As part of the event sanctioning / club charting process, you will be asked to provide the

name and address of the facility’s owner/operator who should be listed as a Certificate Holder. The

owner operator of the facility in which the event is hosted will automatically be listed as a Certificate

Holder as part of the sanctioning/chartering process – there is no additional fee.

Regarding the overall cost of participation, if you're not willing to pass the full cost on to parents or parents are unable to bear the cost and refuse to participate at the current expense level, then IMO you have hit a point that requires creative and season long fundraising. You have to go after that cost yourself, rather than hoping the events can come closer to you. It is the price we pay (no pun intended) when we choose to participate in a "minor" sport or a sport that is not popular in our local area, i.e. one that isn't football or basketball, and in some areas baseball. Fewer teams and fewer kids involved overall always means fewer / no local leagues, more travel cost, and more effort for parents. Swimming, tennis, equestrian, archery, fishing, and plenty of other sports have the same complaints, I'd suspect. I don't begrudge the N. KY and Louisville areas for having more clubs & teams around them, and for not having to travel as far to find good competition as a result. Their proximity to IN and OH and their efforts to bring those models over the borders and into their areas have been a very good thing for our sport. I wish the Lexington area was the same way (it is improving, at least on a MS level), but until it is we're stuck with packing our bags.

That being said, my 1st son, who does not wrestle, plays MS basketball and baseball. Those season fees (plus tournament team entry fees, equipment costs, etc.) easily exceed the typical amounts we spend on a wrestling season. As does my daughter's year-round swim team, with pool rental fees and a paid coach and most meets 2 days long. During wrestling season we travel at least an hour almost every weekend for events, and we spent 4 years driving 2+ hours to tournaments in Cincinnati all winter long as youth, so I think I'm in at least a somewhat comparable situation. We definitely don't wrestle in the Central KY neighborhood exclusively during the season. When everything is weighed, I still consider MS wrestling a "bargain".

Our summer travel baseball team chooses to try to help alleviate the cost pressures with coupon book sales, gift sales, yard sales, mulch sales, car washes, comedy club nights, and darn near everything else you can think of to try to generate a positive team cash flow. The swim team has a license that allows them to work bingo nights, etc. No reason a wrestling team can't do the same thing and fund-raise year round. That being said, it's dedication and elbow grease any way you slice it to be sure. Just like the sport itself. :)

I think your post is right on. Unfortunately, if you can't afford a sport then find a way to make it happen. If not, find another sport. I think many sports are amazing, but some are not attainable for me...ie sky diving, car racing ect. That's why my family doesnt do them. Just saying.