Sign in to follow this  
fanofwrestling6

What's the norm for Senior Night ?

This is off beat of the regular wrestling topics. I went to a match the other night to watch a few kids I know wrestle. I knew it was one of the kids senior nights and thought I could at least acknowledge him and say job well done on his last match at his home high school gym. There's another senior on the team but I really don't know him that well but he tries hard and the kid I first mentioned has 40 wins this season and over 130 for his career. I figured it would be a night of celebration as they even brought the middle school over to wrestle.

I waited and loved watching the little guys go at it and finally the varsity match was getting ready to start . I thought well maybe they will do the celebration after the varsity match seemed logical although I would have thought that the middle school kids might want to see the celebration too knowing that someday this is what they will get to look forward to.

The match ended and my sister and mom got there cameras out etc and .....................and...................and........ there was nothing .... not a thing.. not one single thank you.. not one acknowledgement of his parents for all they do to help the program...  not 1 mention of the young man's success ....not a walk with his mom to receive a plaque or at least something..... I couldn't believe what had just taken place.. I'm still shocked really ..... Tell me is this normal for wrestling ?  I'd really like your opinions .. if this isnt normal I'm serious there may be another school having one heckuva a stud added to there roster next year !

Thanks in advance

In the 20+ years i have been aroung Cambpell Co.  I don't believe they have ever had a senior night.

ok thanks maybe they just do most of that stuff at the awards banquet. I've just never saw a school that didn't recognize their seniors on there last home match. We're not from CC btw so glad you told me.

The match ended and my sister and mom got there cameras out etc and .....................and...................and........ there was nothing .... not a thing.. not one single thank you.. not one acknowledgement of his parents for all they do to help the program...  not 1 mention of the young man's success ....not a walk with his mom to receive a plaque or at least something..... I couldn't believe what had just taken place.. I'm still shocked really ..... Tell me is this normal for wrestling ?  I'd really like your opinions .. if this isnt normal I'm serious there may be another school having one heckuva a stud added to there roster next year !   Thanks in advance
Willing to move schools simply because a school doesn't do a senior night? Kind of crazy in my eyes. I've coached at a few different programs. One did a senior night the other two did not. Let the awards speak for themselves.

Willing to move schools simply because a school doesn't do a senior night? Kind of crazy in my eyes. I've coached at a few different programs. One did a senior night the other two did not. Let the awards speak for themselves.

No..It just got me upset but now that I know some schools don't I'm fine lol.  It was just one of those things that kept being stuck in my mind and no I'm not crazy I too have coached high school for years.  We always went above and beyond for our seniors.... just seemed odd to me that nothing was done.

No..It just got me upset but now that I know some schools don't I'm fine lol.  It was just one of those things that kept being stuck in my mind and no I'm not crazy I too have coached high school for years.  We always went above and beyond for our seniors.... just seemed odd to me that nothing was done.
Understand. CC recognizes their seniors at the banquet. Other schools do the same. Some do a senior night at a dual.

Fanofwrestling , you gave in awfully easy , just because other schools do not do it doesn't mean you should be ok with it , wrestling is as demanding if not more than Football , it deserves as much if not more , I bet the football teams on those schools that do not have sr night for wrestling have it for Football , I attended some duals that had sr night , it seemed a good way to fire up the team and show some

Respect and add a little to the duals, I didn't like it because those kida were getting fired up to beat mine lol . Not complaining but it would be a nice touch a recognition of sr accomishments or just being a sr and a tear or two from Mom ,but then again we all know you can't compare or overshadow the big sports programs even If you totally outdo them ,

Fanofwrestling , you gave in awfully easy , just because other schools do not do it doesn't mean you should be ok with it , wrestling is as demanding if not more than Football , it deserves as much if not more , I bet the football teams on those schools that do not have sr night for wrestling have it for Football , I attended some duals that had sr night , it seemed a good way to fire up the team and show some

Respect and add a little to the duals, I didn't like it because those kida were getting fired up to beat mine lol . Not complaining but it would be a nice touch a recognition of sr accomishments or just being a sr and a tear or two from Mom ,but then again we all know you can't compare or overshadow the big sports programs even If you totally outdo them ,

I don't give in that easy and wrestling to me is much harder than football. It still has me ticked off that they didn't even recognize the kids. However I'm not ready to get him out of that school just because of that lol....crossed my mind though.... However I now see that some schools just don't have a senior night such as your sons school Campbell Co. Am I ok with it ? Not really it's something I'm going to address with the coach at the awards banquet.

When I coached kids we're given a bag of goodies and announced at the games and there parents were introduced. At the awards night we alway did a video showing live action with each of the kids and it was voice narrated with music. It's an awesome thing really. It's usually creates a moment in their lives that they will remember forever. It will be done next year at my nephews awards banquet because I'll do it myself. Do I give in easy ? Sometimes ..I just like to find out all the facts first which is why I asked in this forum I still don't agree with what happened on the youngs mans senior night but it's over and I'll address it soon. Campbell's wrestling program is the most successful of any their sports. They deserve to be acknowledged and I'm sure they do special things at the banquet.

I hope something like this is done for SAM...Sorry it's a fb vid but I only have dvds of other sports etc but you get my point

That's awesome stuff , always wanted to do a video of the boys wrestling , SAM had school project in about fourth grade , "How to be a wrestling Champion "we had videos from first grade up in different rooms different styles practice and tournaments training in the gym and some other stuff it was really neat we did it up right , CC football team had a cool video of all the team and big plays showcasing all thr players at their banquet music and all it was very cool , hope

The wrestling team does one . My boys told

Me Jude was a complete football beast , they were right , we have tons of videos except for last yr and this one CC told us they raped everything and don't worry about it , then all the footage got lost or something ,that sucked , A couple on you tube lol steph and Brill , steph and Marrinelli , steph and Cooper , a lot on Flo Ohio was food about it and last yrs state is on a site I think .

Either way neat stuff neat video , Jude should have thrown in a couple shots an pins in there :)

Conner does a Senior night so we would be glad to "have him" next year, (even though he beat my son by a point this year)!  They do a very nice job with it. I think they should be honored for all the time and effort the wrestler and the parents have made over the years. Unfortunately, this year's event did not happen because wrestling was cancelled last Saturday.