Sign in to follow this  
Slow ride

greatest junior high kid/kids

Stats are very misleading and can skew reality of some things. Caleb Ervin only has two state titles yet everyone on here says he is top two in middle school. So while number of state championships help they don't tell the entire story. I wonder how many on here actually remember Caleb wrestling middle school? I bet it's pretty slim. I could also careless if AJ read what I wrote. It was in no way a backhanded comment to him at all. If using middle school stats and debates gets him fired up then that's great I'm glad I could do my part. End of the day someone asked who the greatest was I gave my opinion and justified those left off the list. 1 year from now some new parent will ask this same question and we will be right back at it again.

Funny but the only thing I ever hear about in sports is stats-wins, and who won the big one.He did all.If this question is about one or two years in MS I can see your point but if it is over many years I don't. You did slight AJ and scaggs by saying it wasn't  that big of a deal beating Joey by 1 point 2 yrs in a row.How can that not be insulting both of them? .So you have Scheffer on your HM how tough do you think his wt. classes have been? he has either wrestled some very tough kids or you list him because he wins when its on the line.

Funny but the only thing I ever hear about in sports is stats-wins, and who won the big one.He did all.If this question is about one or two years in MS I can see your point but if it is over many years I don't. You did slight AJ and scaggs by saying it wasn't that big of a deal beating Joey by 1 point 2 yrs in a row.How can that not be insulting both of them? .So you have Scheffer on your HM how tough do you think his wt. classes have been? he has either wrestled some very tough kids or you list him because he wins when its on the line.

Not sure why you continue to throw Sheffer in your argument !

The greatest middle school wrestler I've ever seen was without a doubt Austin Meyers. His only loss being to Bo Jordan who was an 8th grader while Austin was a 6th grader. It wasn't just his titles or won/loss record either. He was so technically sound at a young age and very seldom made mistakes.

I like this Mason Smith kid a lot right now too. He's long and strong and quick. Heard he had a tough regional but watch him at state this year.

I only throw sheffer in the mix because him and aj are alot alike in terms of MS titles and wrestling light wt. classes.I just don't think they get the credit they deserve(I really like sheffer alot and so does AJ) I may have misunderstood our topic.If we are talking about a kid that dominated 1or2 yrs I can see courgars point but if we are talking about a MS carreer(over several yrs) how can sheffer and aj not both be on that list?Take a look at Brock for example he did not take off till his 7th grade year,I believe he only won 1 state title.You can believe this or not but some people told AJ when he was a 70 and 75lb'er that he was farther along than Brock was at that age.Do you think I am saying AJ is a better wrestler,heck no but you can't argue that aj did do more in ms than him.I am a hugh Brock fan I have even thought about getting his autograph(LOL inside joke)What Brock did from his 7th to his 8th grade year was insane.He went from an 80lb ms state champ to a 103lb HS state champ( beating a very good soph.Yenter) Him going up 3 to 4 wt. classes and a level was in my mind the best move I have seen yet in KY.wky I hope you didn't think I was bashing sheffer he is top notch to me.

DEFINE GREATEST.

To me the greatest is someone who won state more than once.  Went unbeaten.  Went against solid competition and absolutely dominated in the process. 

John Fahy plus he won 5.  Yes couple of those were against lesser competition but his later ones where not.  He did it in dominating fasion.  I think he's the greatest High School Wrester(IN KENTUCKY) thus far as well.  He outworked everyone.  That's why he's the best.

I listed fahy and sheffer due to the fact that they have more titles than anyone. I will agree with whs98. I agree your son aj was tough as they get. I think there are a bunch of kids that come to mind when I think of great middle school wrestlers and aj has to be one of them. So when I listed those two that didn't mean there wasn't other great kids. I watched aj dominate most kids he wrestles for years. I am glad to hear he is doing so well in high school.

There are also some kids that come to mind that dominated. Tyler frankone his 8th grade year looked ridiculous. It almost didn't look fair. Logan Erdman and John mieman looked the same way their 8th grade year. The list could go on and on. As far as Brock,Garth and Caleb's middle school career was before my time. I'm sure they were incredible.

I'm glad we have had an opportunity to watch these kids wrestle and grow into great young men. All the parents of these wrestlers should be proud of their accomplishments.

thanks Duch,I agree with you on that post.I know you and mason do alot of things in the off season and I always pull for kids that put in extra time.The sick thing about Frankrone(and I mean this in a good way) He comes off the couch after a month off and beats a kid(senior) ranked 2nd in KY and just lost in OT to the Indiana state champ and beats him in a wrestle off.I am just glad Frankrone is not a 106 because AJ might have to do twice the work in the summer to beat him.LOL

WHS98...if it wouldn't be too much to ask, I was wondering if AJ wouldn't mind giving me his autograph when he gets a moment the next time we are at one of his competitions?   I have his Fat head...I mean, I have a fathead of him hanging on my wall.  I'm his biggest fan. 

Don't get me wrong, middle school state championships are awesome, but what about the middle school kids that bump up to do amazing things at the high school level. Harrison Courtney 7th grade top 8 at high school state, 8th grade places 3rd. He was a BS call away from being in the finals. Coty Lewis and Josh Johnson were both state finalist as 8th graders. There are more examples, but my question is this. And I realize this isn't an option for some due to school restrictions. Would u rather your child dominate a middle school state tournament or wrestle up at high school state and bring home some hardware? No right or wrong, just curious. I personally would tell mine to go get the high school hardware.

Sorry dutch.I didn't mean to call you duch. IWIN I agree with what you are saying and I think of it as the NBA,if a kid jumps from HS to pro you will never hear anyone saying they were the best college player ever.even though they were better than all the college kids.

LOL. PIN,I will have to ask him if he has time.My suggestion to you is to get a painter over your house quick because that is one ugly wall.By the way they don't call his a fat head,his is called a richard head.lol

Felipe was phenomenal but he had better in his own state , Steibers and DT in his own ERA , Felipe was just for lack of better words at lest to me ..... cooler lol everyone was scared of him he used Facebook and whatever to let people know he was going to beat them . .he was a you g wrestling Ali but under wraps as I don't think it was graham style .. Not very appropriate but if you knew him you liked him usually ,

Cougar you have good breakdowns on stuff , but some kids wipe out classes others barely win because the. Lass is tougher , I don't k ow the kids in question so I couldn't say as I said your.breakdowns are excellent so not knowing g the kida I wouldn't argue any of your points .

In other words you do t just say so a ao beat the heck out of everyone ,

As for middle schoolers I could

Probably name a whole team of kida from around the country over the yrs who would argue the Felipe comment , but I liked him so I wouldnt , h stayed true to himself and said whatever he wanted .

I am not at all trying to toot mpires horn but the three of the best kids I ever seen at the middle level were Jared Cortez, Tommy Cash, and Stephan Myers. All three blew me out of the water!

WHS- I respect your comments and opinion, although I disagree I wish AJ the best of luck on his future. AJ is way better than both of us were in middle school and I think we can agree on that.

In my opinion Felipi's best year was his freshman. Beat out Tucker Armstrong for a starting spot, he was a defending state champ, and first weekend of the year Felipe beats Tony Romos with a 5 point takedown with in the first 30 seconds! Romos was number 1 wrestler in the nation and already committed to Iowa at that point. Double leg shot to double under hook bear hug straight to his back! I remember Monday of practice that next week our team actually drilled that sequence. It was awesome!

• Upvote 1

Jared and Stephen lol battled quite a bit never in a match as Cortez was smaller , Stephen ran the gauntlet at Jordan's every time he was there , he drilled with Bo , then wrestled Bo then Taylor or Cortez then the other , always in that order BO would Beat him of course Steph and Taylor were pretty close but I would say steph had the edge , Taylor being a bit older Steph being bigger , they liked each other , sSteph and Ryan , I remember Taylor bragging to everyone at state stephs sixth grade yr , look at him he's ripped , they were friends I think they all tried to psyche everyone else out for each other , then there was Cortez he was awesome but I think he and Taylor always uh...... Didn't see eye to eye , steph would go with him and usually no one would score all those kids had unreal D hard to score on , but the few times that steph scored on him Jerod would always "Be Hurt " scream out and the whole room would stop , very strange at Jordan's it was like god spoke or something or something anyway I remember jerod scored on steph they were wrestling live , steph reversed him and stuck him he screamed like he was dying everything stopped , Taylor's dad walked over and set down next to me and started cracking up , it was Taylor vs Cortez shortly and not the kids , then I was the one laughing , awesome room up there , with Taylor , the Ryan's , Felipe Bo ZEKE mick Meeks ,Marshall , Forridor , Chambers , and all the rest , and yeah Felipe and Taylor and Austin's hero Thomuseitt , did you ever see him he was a monster ? In that room everyone got good or disapeared

Yeah I remember tucker I saw him some he wrestled Cincy nationals , he went to other places as well I think Miron , big blonde headed super soldier kid ,

Felipe beat our kid from Prodigy pretty bad at jr high state , but wrestling him runner up Was as good as champ , take your gear and be happy lol

All is good cougar, and yes aj is way better than I was in middle school.I didn't start wrestling till I was a fresh. It just wasn't that big in my area.

Is it Zac or Max? I remember watching the one that's was a freshman 112 pounder and sophomore year a 170 pounder. I remember Brakemen said he had never seen a jump like that from a kid and him still be considered one of the best in the state. I think he was a two timer? We talking bout the same kid mpire?

Max and he went from like 140 to 189 he was a beast we saw him now and again at Jordan's an at iron man we talked to him some , he lost to the national num 1 from Blair but he was in the match and there was one instant that was almost unreal he just stopped scooped him up like nothing and scored we thought here it comes but the Blair kid edged him , he wrestles for U penn or some school in penn .

Nk135 thanks , Austin has good d and does not break he is an ice cube under pressure he is wired different than most people ,

As far as youth and jr high goes I haven't seen many that could match his wins his streak and he did both styles and played ball the whole time ,

He won USA state the first yr he ever wrestled and the first ever OAC state youth his second , Tulsa kickoff once and Tulsa 3rd twice , jr high he dominated Philo Mich Rumble the first yr when Cali ind and all the state champs came he went an hammered everyone , the boys always did Ourway as well I think ATM came in second once and won about four or five , Stephen never lost he won it when it was the Arnold wrestling challenge and Austin lost to Michael Johnson , " he's a stud " trust me , in finals , steph beat Danichek in finals . After Austin lost to Bo he never lost in jr high again to a jr high kid , and his only folkstyle loss since then came at 1000 island duals in NY when he wrestled both classes HS and middle , he beat an undefeated NY state JR high champ and lost to some HS kid named uhhhhhh Padock , lol look him up as well , his brother wrestled or wrestles for Ohio State ,

Austin was always overlooked for some reason. But his eighth grade yr he started of at 152 and the haters made a thread about me niot being a good trainer because my kids

were never growing , well by the end of the year the thread was about how Austin made the biggest jump ever in one year in jr high and still won , and steph nearly cert for 112 but won 125 ,he went 152 pinned everyone then 171 pinned everyone and 209 pinning everyone till state finals and majoring , one of his teammates dads had suggested he jump to beat Rutherford and win the ow , don't think it had anything to do with his kid being 171 as well :)

I know I said everyone was afraid of Felipe but Austin was eating up everyone jumping classes and pinning kids who had pinned everyone , I actually think he was the most feared kid in jr high history in Ohio more than DT even , he showed up and refs would stop the matches when he got a takedown thinking he hurt someone he didn't even want to wrestle he had no comp and they acted like he was an axe murderer , the only kids that came after him he pinned in the first period , no one made it to the third with him , I did hear a ky kid and him had a good one but I missed it and he pinned him too .

I don't know of any kida In Ohio who bumped as much as him and won I think Roddy and a graham kid bumped a few Evans but not like he did and the Monroeville big kid , saw him he was a beast can't remember his name tessari Steibers and him lol brain fart fab 4 .

The Prodigy room was unreal the jones visited some clay brown as well but ATM got to wrestle jr high club since his 5th grade and yes I held him back after that lol , Jordan talked me into it actually , glad he did ,first fresh state champ at 220 in either state, a nice goal he achieved , and as for the haters who said he would nt have made it out last yr in the SW dist in Ohio , I hope you looked at the wrestling results in the paper this yr , still undefeated , with a test tomorrow for sure lol best streak in Ky or Ohio , :) and he didn't dodge anyone doing it .

Sorry Ky thread I know ,

Yeah I'm getting old senile , Chris Philips , I saw him smash jr high states , he was jacked up , lol he beat Roddy to seal his fame as a fresh superstar , see I'm not that old yet

Unless I overlooked his name, Im very surprised brent hitchings hasnt been brought up. Him and john fahy were very dominant. No one wanted a piece of john fahy back then. He totally dominated ky. Brent was right behind him. I also was floored when I watched caleb ervin wrestle his 8th grade year. The injury I was told was a dislocated kneecap. Either way, monday morning he was scheduled for surgery. Saturday he was pinning and techfalling future state placers. Them boys are a different breed. Here would be the top 5 of kids I seen years back.

1 Fahy

2 Harrison Courtney

3 Brock Ervin

4 Caleb Ervin

5 Brent Hitchings

Harrison could also be a strong case for number 1. He was wrestling varsity like 145 in the 8th grade and as good as anyone. Not flea weight. No offense but varsity 145 is a whole world different than ms 80 lbs.