Sign in to follow this  
crazyotto

Southern Scuffle

Flo is covering the action live. Taylor majored Caldwell 10-0! I was expecting a win, but not by md. This sets the stage for Dake-Taylor. Will this be the match where Taylor breaks through Dake's defense? Penn State with 5 in the finals.

Flo is covering the action live. Taylor majored Caldwell 10-0! I was expecting a win, but not by md. This sets the stage for Dake-Taylor. Will this be the match where Taylor breaks through Dake's defense? Penn State with 5 in the finals.

In a word, yes.

Taylor got screwed plain and simple...TWO bad calls on the reversel that wasn't and the NON CALL at the end where Taylor escaped....That has to be the worst officiated match I have witnessed since the Reushell/Bryant debacle at the KY State Championships 2 years ago in the quarter finals where Bryant had the PIN for over a minute and no call was made.....Too bad for Taylor....I am sure he will get it all back in the NCAA Championships......Dake is a staller looking for out of bounds every minute of the match !

Taylor got screwed plain and simple...TWO bad calls on the reversel that wasn't and the NON CALL at the end where Taylor escaped....

Agree. Total screw job.

crazyotto....One thing I cannot stand are wrestlers who are coached to wrestle on the defensive and on the edge of the mat...Coaches who teach this style totally irritate me...Many here in this state live for this....Eventually it comes back to bite them....Being on the offensive was taught to me early and all the way through college...The way it was meant to be....Hopefully more officials will start calling these teams and coaches on this crap.....Love to see them scramble...ON THE MAT !

crazyotto....One thing I cannot stand are wrestlers who are coached to wrestle on the defensive and on the edge of the mat...Coaches who teach this style totally irritate me...Many here in this state live for this....Eventually it comes back to bite them....Being on the offensive was taught to me early and all the way through college...The way it was meant to be....Hopefully more officials will start calling these teams and coaches on this crap.....Love to see them scramble...ON THE MAT !

I hear you. It is within the rules though, and Dake is a master at it. I have watched the td a few times and still don't see control. My son said that he "possibly" had a merkle in. Give Dake props, he has found a way to neutralize Taylor's offense.

The argument is that Dake locked up a Merkle right before Taylor initiated the roll which for some refs means a reversal. Personally I would've ruled it a loss of control by Taylor and an escape for Dake since I don't think the Merkle was completely locked up. Looked to me like Dake instead had a reverse leg ride and was working for control of the upper body. He in no way had establish control over Taylor's hips and didn't gain any control until the roll had launched them out of bounds. It is very close because you have to remember as long as a toe is somewhere inside the circle in a college match the match is still going on. As for the escape for Taylor it looked to me the grip was broken, but our view was blocked. The ref looking directly at the grip ruled no escape which has to mean the grip was not broken.

The rule on a reversal is that the down wrestler only needs two points of contrast on the mat (2 feet). When they were on the mat, dake was behind both arms with Taylor having two points of contact. It is a reversal by rule. As for the escape, Taylor would have had to break hip/leg contact to have the escape. Both very tough calls but the refs hit it right on the head. Good match.

I have to throw in a quick brag: I WAS THERE!! That match alone was worth the entire expense of the trip. Those two guys are the most exciting wrestlers in the country, followed closely by Jordan Oliver and Ed Ruth. In real time and from my angle to the mat (I was about 20 feet away in the Penn State corner), Dake locked in the merkle as they went out of bounds. It was a super close call, but it really could have gone either way. And the way that place erupted as Taylor scrambled late in the 3rd period was priceless. Just think, if David Taylor escapes with 3 or more seconds left then he wins 4-3 with the riding point. I can't wait for the NCAAs. I'm going on record now... Taylor wins the NCAA final 3-1.

Dake's style isn't to look for the out of bounds line the whole time. If you haven't noticed, he is a very methodical and controlling wrestler. He lives for low scoring matches and it works out for him every time because he is in control a lot of the time. Dake wasn't necessarily wrestling defensive but he was wrestling to control and neutralize Taylor on their feet; if you go open tie with Taylor or not constantly in his face then you're going to to get blown out of the water by Taylor because that is his style, hence why Dake kept the russian tie the whole match. Also, Taylor didn't shoot except for a couple fakes the entire match and some ankle slaps, which is why the russian tie worked out for Dake. The only real shot that I saw was Dake's shot for which he almost converted on. I'll go on record and say that Dake wins his fourth title by beating Taylor 4-2 at NCAA's. Honestly though I think the match at NCAA's will be insane to watch because of how much the two have to show.

"Alternate view" from flo. Yep, Dake had control before they went out. I have read answers from a number of refs on a few other boards that all agree with the call. This video (skip to the 8:30 mark) shows this.

oops...........here's the link

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/250076-Southern-Scuffle-2013/video/676687-Kyle-Dake-versus-David-Taylor-at-2013-Southern-Scuffle