Sign in to follow this  
Mathound

Teams with a Goose Egg

Someone asked how many teams still have a Goose Egg for state champions. There are 32. If you know of any state champions for the following teams then please tell me so I can correct them.

Anderson County

Apollo

Atherton

Bourbon County

Bryan Station

Bullitt Central

Calloway County

Campbellsville

Daviess County

DeSales

Dixie Heights

Henderson County

Holy Cross (Louisville)

Iroquois

John Hardin

Kentucky Country Day

Letcher County Central

McCreary Central

McLean County

Montgomery County

Moore

Nelson County

North Oldham

Ohio County

Oneida Baptist

Paducah Tilghman

Perry County Central

Pike County Central

University Heights

Webster County

Western Hills

Whitley County

thats alot of teams,how do they manage not to have a champion??wrestling was VERY popular at one point in kentucky wasnt it??

There are many different explanations (or excuses depending on who you ask) for these teams.  Some have only had programs for a few years (Bourbon County, Bullitt Central, etc) and others are small schools with low participation (nice way of saying they are weak programs; I won't name any in particular).

There are many different explanations (or excuses depending on who you ask) for these teams.  Some have only had programs for a few years (Bourbon County, Bullitt Central, etc) and others are small schools with low participation (nice way of saying they are weak programs; I won't name any in particular).

I see what ur sayin..

Mathound is this only a list of current teams without a state champion?

Newport should be added to the list.  In Nky both Lloyd (who had a team until 1984 and Holy Cross (Cov) who dropped thier team in the 90's are without a state champion.

Southern 112;  Why do you ask is wrestling use to be very popular in Ky.  There are more teams today than any other time in KY. 

I would say that wrestling is more popular now, than any other time in Ky history.

Being a state champion is difficult.  In other states there are teams that don't have state champions and they have had teams for 20 or more years.  Just because a team does not have a state champion does not mean it is a weak team.  The opposite is also true. 

Newport should be added to the list.  In Nky both Lloyd (who had a team until 1984 and Holy Cross (Cov) who dropped thier team in the 90's are without a state champion.

Southern 112;  Why do you ask is wrestling use to be very popular in Ky.  There are more teams today than any other time in KY. 

I would say that wrestling is more popular now, than any other time in Ky history.

Being a state champion is difficult.  In other states there are teams that don't have state champions and they have had teams for 20 or more years.  Just because a team does not have a state champion does not mean it is a weak team.  The opposite is also true. 

Can you name a strong program in KY that has been around for more than 5 years that doesn't have a state champ?

grappler of old,

If you're talking about Newport Catholic.

They have had at least 2 multiple state title winners.

Mike Nolan(69,71) and Rick Barker(74,75,76)

grappler of old,

If you're talking about Newport Catholic.

They have had at least 2 multiple state title winners.

Mike Nolan(69,71) and Rick Barker(74,75,76)

No, I think he is talking about Newport High School.  They got their program started back up last year.  They got beat up a bit in Region 6, but I saw them a few times and even though they were really, really green they were rather impressive.  They were a very young team (age wise in addition to experience).

Can you name a strong program in KY that has been around for more than 5 years that doesn't have a state champ?

A STRONG team no, but an average team maybe in the past.  I think that South Oldham was an average team.  they sent their first state qualifier in 1990.  In 2000, 2001, 2002 you could argue that they were a strong team.

Their 1st state champion was in 2003.

You could also possibly argue that Dixie Hts. in Nky is an average team.  They have had some decent teams in the past, and some weak teams in the past.  I know they have not won any big tourneys but have won a few of the smaller  and middle of the road tourneys in the past.  A weak team probably would not even be able to do this.

However this is all opinionated on what a weak team is.  My definition of weak team would only include one team in Nky,(Holmes) because of lack of interest in the school. (but they have a two time state champ) Newport has not been around for the 5 year minimum.

Grappler of old:

all I was asking was if wrestling used to be more popular before than now.We allknow that wrestling in kentucky isnt as big as wrestling in pennsylvania or ohio.I was just wondering if it ever was big in kentucky...just a question...