Sign in to follow this  
lasttakedown

Lafayette

This looks to be a strong early season tournament. There is about 70 ranked kids that could wrestler tomorrow. Looks like Heavys have the most with 7 kids ranked in the top 16. Plus no. 2 at 220 Bryant is wrestling heavy also. 170 also seems strong with 6 rank kids plus its sounds like Lane Jones is at 170 also.

clay wrestled 138 for coaches classic last weekend but is going 145 for lafayette. looking forward to that bracket.

Clay Brown vs Tevon Clay in final.

Correction: They both got DQ'd. I'm getting this second hand from my son. Evidently, it got pretty crazy. Only N Hardin threw punches though. Don't know the wrestler's name now.

113 Rearic vs Hall II good match Hall score takedown for the win with 3sec left.

120 Duncan wrestled from a pigtail to the finals and won very impressive.

126 had the single most impressive victory of the day Heidorf majored a returning state champ Whalen(106).

132 was a mess. That display is the oppisite of what makes wrestling great

138 Alot of cloes matches from the quarters to the finals

145 Very good finals match 2 state contenders in the finals with Clay winning a close one.

152 The best match was in the semi between Jones and Smith. !st time they met Jones won in triple OT. This time he won 6-2 but it was 1 point until late in the third. Jones went on to t-fall win in the final.

I missed most of 160 182 195 and 220 but Mcdaniel Mclirath both looked impressive the small bits I got to see them.

But the 2 most dominate performances came in the 2 most stacked weight classes 170 Heavy. Jones blew up a his weight class that had six kids ranked in the top 20, with tech pin pin and a finals pin. Looking forward to Canter vs Jones.

Heavy Bryant was simply dominate. The heavys 7 of the top 16 he wrestled for less than 3min in his 4 matches, I actually thought i might see a heavy get MOW. I have been to a tournament where that happened. I was most impressed by the fact the he was the most physical guy in every match. Looking forward to Troxell vs Bryant no more boring heavywieghts.

Congrats to the tourny director , everything was run to perfection.

I don't understand how Agyeman gets DQ'd. I have heard 3 accounts, all say the NH kid threw a punch to the nose and dropped Agyeman. Agyeman was stunned from the punch and did not punch back.

I was told the NH kid was WAY amped up and immediately upon the whistle drove FC into the scorer's table. They were reset, and NH poked FC in the eye, and tied up really hard with FC. FC drove forward and snapped NH's head down hard and NH came up punching. Landed a punch flush to FC's nose and dropped him.

The same kid from NH stomped Nathan thompsons head from desales twice at KOB trying to get out of a single with short time left and some how both refs on the mat happened to not see it

I don't understand how Agyeman gets DQ'd. I have heard 3 accounts, all say the NH kid threw a punch to the nose and dropped Agyeman. Agyeman was stunned from the punch and did not punch back.

I was told the NH kid was WAY amped up and immediately upon the whistle drove FC into the scorer's table. They were reset, and NH poked FC in the eye, and tied up really hard with FC. FC drove forward and snapped NH's head down hard and NH came up punching. Landed a punch flush to FC's nose and dropped him.

How can you give a play by play if you weren't there?

• Upvote 1

Coach I do agree.....great day of wrestling and probably one of the best tournaments next to state I have ever been to and a part of....The issue , however needs to be addressed and this is an open forum....There has to be an EXAMPLE set and repurcussions MUST take place . It is obvious this isn't the first time this wrestler has had an incident...I feel the KHSAA needs to investigate....we need to discuss so this NEVER happens again.....Just my opinion and if you feel it best to steer away from it we can.

Third Round.....I agree. But let the KHSAA do their part. My fear is this overshadows the tournament that has so many story lines. For example, Hudson Heidorf and Bobby Bryant.... Wow. A second year program finishing 9th with a champion. Trinity and Moore going into the finals tied. Lafayette showing they are a contender in 7 as well as Franklin and Henry Clay. Paul Couch upsetting many on the way to the HVY Finals. The list goes on and on.

I thought that 2nd year program {MALE} impressed me the most...and Montgomery being right in the thick of it.....I must say, from the officiating and 99% showed us the competitive and sportsmanship this sport is all about.....Thanks Coach for making it the perfect tournament for High School wrestling....I imagine teams will be begging to get into it next year !

I almost forgot...hats off to Coach Hitchings at Fern Creek...something special is happening right now like it is at Male.....Very impressed with those 2 squads the most and Walton Verona...Coach Barnes has it going on...!!!!

I may be biased to that second year team. It was a great tournament. And you did a great job helping make it run smoothly.

I took out 20 bags of garbage last night...just doing my part !!!!

If what has been discussed did happen, I don't see any problem discussing it on this forum. You can't ignore the negatives and just discuss the positives. If Coach McCoy saw a "senseless act that has no place in wrestling", then the behavior must be addressed.

Old grappler, I think there was compliment in there. Thank you. There was an ugly seen in the 132 finals and beyond and I agree it should and will be discussed. Unfortunately, it could over shadow what was a great day of wrestling and that is my point. We can discuss it but let's also talk about what was great about the tournament. The negative does not always have to outweigh the positives. Just my opinion.