Sign in to follow this  
zaniac

Louisville to ACC

It would be nice to know what the $$$ figure is for a D1 program for wrestling for start-up and annual cost. Michigan began the MYWAY program during the big Title IX era for the sole purpose of donating dollars to keep college wrestling alive. It does not fully fund, but creates and offset and statewide support that has alerted the schools administration that it is important to the state.

Not trying to steer anything to another organization for youth / MS oversight, but maybe something that could be done with xx amount of dollars from every tournament entry, but it would take an inside person to begin the persuasion... I disagree on the never happen comment, but it would be a very hard fought and expensive road to get it started.

It's always hard to add a new program because of Title IX and thats something that always has to be considered if Louisville should try to add a wrestling team because the school would also have to add a girl's sports team of some sort. Its hard to find a statement on the amount of money that it takes to start a wrestling program; although there is some information that states that it took $8 million for the ASU program to be re-instated after it was cut and I know the Save Oregon Wrestling foundation has a $6 million dollar goal to have the University of Oregon wrestling team re-instated. I know it's just goals but most schools do not have wrestling teams because it's not very profitable for the school like football is and I think it would be hard to have a wrestling program started at Louisville, although it would be nice to see it happen to have more kids involved with wrestling from Kentucky.

Hawk-Eye - agree on the number of sports per men and women. Here is the official list of UofL sports teams - 12 women and 9 men. Still won't happen, but that can't be the reason. Money out versus money in will be the truth.

I definitely agree with you on the money part, JW. If you look at it though, UofL has more sport's teams available for girls as compared to boys but as far as I understand it with Title IX, there has to be an equal amount of female and male participants. Football takes up a lot of spots when it comes down to the boy's side of this discussion and reduces the amount of teams that they can have because of there not being a huge women's team sport that could create a lot of available spots. Honestly though I think if UofL or Bellarmine did start wrestling teams then they should create a girl's team.

Good call Hawk-Eye. The 3 extra Girls sports totalled to 99 student athletes making it pretty much equal with the Football roster. Not that any of this will happen, but would be nice.

We can all hope right? It honestly looks like the NAIA is becoming the future of this sport with all of the teams that have been created over the past few years.

Just found annual cost for D1 wrestling program is between 340000 (low end) and 600000 (high end). Less than a million dollars - UofL is going to pay way more than that to get out of the Big East. Trust me, I am a WVU fan, that is a healthy bill to leave in less than 27 months. They could roll this up in the bill and pay for the first 3 years with no change.

I thought it was something like that and I have to agree with you J.w. that they could pay for the first 3 years but I remember the University of Oregon and how it could of been saved with how much the owner of Nike donated to that school but yet they never put any of toward the wrestling team and only toward football or some of the other sports.

Just found annual cost for D1 wrestling program is between 340000 (low end) and 600000 (high end). Less than a million dollars - UofL is going to pay way more than that to get out of the Big East. Trust me, I am a WVU fan, that is a healthy bill to leave in less than 27 months. They could roll this up in the bill and pay for the first 3 years with no change.

Missouri has wrestling and they are SEC. Why dosnt Uk look at a program to.

Missouri has wrestling and they are SEC. Why dosnt Uk look at a program to.

As said by Buckeye, Missouri's team is in the MAC and that is one of the teams that didn't move to the SEC due to the fact that there 0 wrestling teams still in the SEC except for some club teams (LSU and Auburn). Interesting note though UK did have a wrestling team back in the 70's and did fairly well at the NCAA's a few times. The head coach at UK was Fletcher Carr (Joe Carr Sr.'s older brother).