Sign in to follow this  
dutch

Most anticipated match ups

A friend and I were having a conversation today about the match ups we were looking forward to the most this year. I was curious what match ups other people were hoping to see. Here are some of the ones we came up with. Obviously we are guessing on weights

Grandstaff vs Peace/Pledger/delong

Horton vs Holub

Roth vs Yenter/Wheeler/Hahn

Wells vs Kraezig/Ervin

Moore vs Chaffee/Brown

Smith vs Sheffer/Floyd

Miles vs Johnson/oxford

Once you get past 105 its was a guess. I can say everyone of these guys are fun to watch and im sure they will all be great matches. Dont take these as state predictions just good kids who will be fun to watch wrestle each other. The season will be here before we know it.

Dutch,if there is one thing I will miss most about middle school wrestling its the little guys.they go into a match with no pressure of losing,winning has not been programed into their minds,or of its importance.They give it all for the whole match and it seems they never get tired.All of the matchups you posted would be fun to watch but these kids grow so much over the summer who knows what weight they will be.If I had to pick one match that I would like to see the most it would be Kraezig vs Wells.Just because I watched both their matches last year in which they split and boy was it a battle.Just plain fun to watch.But alot of your other matchups would be very exciting

Youth and middle school parents generally make High School parents look very calm they put extraordinary pressure on their kids to win its sometimes insane the pressure is there and usually it shouldnt be ,but regardless where a kid is wrestling and at what age is important at that time to that kid and parent .rightly so.

I would be interested to see all of the matches above. This season will be here before we know it. I think that once the kids are settled in at their new weights I'd like to revisit this. Plus every year it seems like we get a few wrestlers that reach the state podium that no discusses in advance. That being said, here are a few I can’t wait to see:

DeLong Vs. Grandstaff/Peace (keep in mind, Delong is and 8th grader…..I do believe he is going to be much stronger than most if not all the kids he get to face at 70. He is starting his 3rd year and faces very good competition in our wrestling room, he will be ready.)

Tucker Vs. Sawyer (battled it out for 5th at 70lbs last year. This will be a fun match to watch)

Horton vs. Higdon (Both of these kids are exciting to watch)

Yenter vs. Bender (Bender is very strong, he will give Yenter a great match.)

Roth Vs. Ervin (Roth 2-time state runner up, this year he gets to the top spot)

Wells vs Kraezig I think these two split last year. I watched them wrestle at the State Duels and a week later. These two will be an awesome battle to watch again.

Smith vs. Sheffer (Smith is my pick to win it all this year. I know Sheffer is an incredible wrestler, but Smith’s ability to make adjustments will make all the difference. Plus, he has put in the work this offseason.)

I am 100% sure that this list will change quite a bit once the kids get settled at their weights. Let’s get it started!!!!!

so you're saying a 3xer in sheffer hasn't put in any work this off season. His family would beg to differ.

ukpridewrestler11, I mean no disrespect toward Sheffer. I just know that I’ve seen Smith at several off-season tourneys this year as well as watching Smith and my oldest boy battle it out all of last season. I’m sure Sheffer has put in the work. But as I stated before, Smith has some great coaches that will help him to make the adjustments needed to be successful. Also, this thread was asking what match ups will be fun to watch. My opinion only, if I’m wrong so be it. It would not be the first time and I’m confident it won’t be my last mistake either.

Sheffer is 1 of only 8 wrestlers to win MS State 3 or more times. I promise you, he's putting in the work. Let's see if Smith can handle the pressure that the State Finals atmosphere brings. Don't forget about Floyd at this weight as well. This will be a really tough weight class no doubt.

I agree with pinandwin. To think that a stud like sheffer is not putting in time would be crazy. He didn't win 3 in a row by sitting at home playing xbox. However from reading the previous post I don't think anyone was insinuating that. When I started this post it was for fun to talk about the great matches everyone was looking forward to seeing. Not to down any other wrestlers. Or to hear people talk about my kid could beat your kid. I have many post on this forum and they are all praising kids and parents for the great job they do. I also realize people have their opinions on who might accomplish what in the future. I think that's great but I try to be positive and not take it personal. When ranger posted the preseason rankings he had mason as the favorite at 98. Then he received information that sheffer was going 98 and made him the favorite which nobody would argue with including me. That same day pinandwin said he thought that taran floyd was the favorite at 98. Taran is also a stud so I see why he says that. Did I take that as he said my kid stinks? No! Its just his opinion of what he thought. I think we all need to remember they are kids. I think wrestling is tough enough of them. I would never let my son or any other kid get to far ahead of themselves. There is still a lot of work to be done before we start talking about state finals for anyone. I teach my son to be humble and respectful to other wrestlers,coaches, and parents. Its great people are so excited for the future but the last think I want is to have unnecessary tension between kids,parents,coaches,or teams. So that being said maybe we can all remember that competition is great but it the kids out there wrestling on the mat not us. Good luck to all the wrestlers this season.

True enough, I did say that I thought Teran was my favorite. That opinion was based on the way he was wrestling at the time. I had a chance to spend alot of time around him at the end of last season. He has since been injured. I still believe he can make some serious noise at this weight class. I have not seen Mason wrestle since last year but believe he always had the talent to do something special if he ever got serious about training. The more I think about it though, until someone beats the champ, he's still the champ. Truth is, I really like all three of these kids. I wish them all the best of luck. I hope I can find some time to come out and watch them get after it this year.

I have no dog in the fight at all, just found it silly thinking that since someone was putting in work would automatically make him someone's favorite to win it over a proven 3xer. That goes for any weight class and wrestler. But I agree it probably will be a great match, albeit whenever they meet.

This a great topic and fun to discuss during the off season. 98 is loaded. I was more impressed with Bryce than any kid, less Jackson Oxford etc.at National Duals. I love the kid and the way he approaches his business on the mat.

River City room will be tough to start varsity at 98. You will most likely have Floyd and Cook there battling it out for a spot.

In my opinion, Mason has improved more than any kid I have seen over the summer, and will hold his own with anyone.

October cannot get here fast enough for me.