Sign in to follow this  
Eaglewrestler16

How to get into Coaching?

Find a woman have some babies preferably boys but it doesnt matter see if they like to scrap if they do let em wrestle and start taking them to practices and coaching them .Steal everything you see from all the best coaches and teams and if you know anything extra yourself throw it in there as well .Then get on with some youth team and follow your kids all the way through high school .

Just kidding ,try getting on as a youth coach first the pay is bad but i think it would be bad to try and start off right away with HS kids i have seen it and things get taught all out of order the basics and training habits are the most important thing .

Start with a youth program and then move your way up. I started coaching youth when I was in High School during the spring to keep my mind fresh and prepare myself to coach later on in life. It has paid off trendemously now that I am coaching the HS/MS team. But like I have said to my seniors departing when they want to get into coaching, You are there to make the kids better and help them learn to become great wrestlers. You are not there to get yourself better as a wrestler.

Go to any school and offer your services. For most schools you will need to either get a volunteer card from the school district or have 30 hrs. (I think) of college credit hours.

Youth coaches are always in need along with middle school coaches. I don't think there are many Youth or Middle school coaches being paid in KY.

I would recomend being a Youth or Middle school coach then work out with the high school team. That way you will get to see what the high school coach will expect from his younger teams and they can use you as a practice partner for their high school kids.

The biggest mistake many ex-wrestlers make is that they think they can step right in and be a head coach, or a high school coach. You may know wrestling but it takes more than just being a good wrestler to be a good coach. Learn how to coach then move up the ranks just like you did as a wrestler.

• Upvote 2

GOO

I agree 100% with your post. Luckily for me I was able to volunteer with my former HS coach/coaching mentor to learn. I am still learning today to become an even better coach.

• Upvote 1