Sign in to follow this  
dscicle

2006-07 Top Middle Schools/Clubs

Thanks refdad for the info on my question about middle school/clubs.  I still would like to know if there are many or any "youth" tournaments in Kentucky?  Back home kids in middle school wrestle for their school and on Saturday they wrestle for a club.  These clubs are not affiliated with any school other than the kids in the club usually attend the school where the club has practice.  These clubs host a home tournament once a year.  This tournament is their big fund raiser for the year.  Kids can either enter with a team or enter as indipendent.  Every weekend we would have several tournaments to choose from.  We were hoping this would be somewhat the same in Kentucky.  Is it?  If so where do I find a list of tournaments and details?

Hey refdad I just realized I didn't answer your question.  My son is attending school in Wayne Co. I also want to appolagize for having so many questions.  I just want to have a handle on how things are done here.  Thanks

OKIE: there is at least one tournament if not more each weekend to choose from just across the river in Cincinnati. However, I dont think that their is going to be alot of this type of thing for you in that area around Wayne Co. They do have a few open tournaments around there, but the numbers are pretty low. If I were you , I would look into Tennessee tournaments. It might be about a hour and a half or two hour drive but you may be able to find a tournament just about every weekend there. The Jr High and youth scene is going in the right direction here, but isn't probably isnt up to the level that you are used to yet

OKIE,

KY USA Wrestling will have 9 tournaments during the off season.

Kentucky USA Wrestling is growing each year and being able to offer our Kids and Coaches many more opportunities than in the past. This coming season we will be hosting 6 folkstyle Dan Gable Belt Series Tournaments throughout Kentucky. 2 to 3 Freestyle-Greco tournaments, 1 beach Wrestling Tournament, and a Sombo Tournament. USA Wrestling offers many opportunity to host Camps and clinic with Olympic Athletes. Starting this year we are hosting a Regional Coaches Clinic Hosted at Cumberland College with the Clinician from USA Wrestling. With USA Wrestling we have the access to College coaches, Olympic Coaches and athletes to use as Mentors for our coaches and kids.

Your son can wrestle as an independent if he is not on a team/ club as long as he has a current USA Wrestling competitors card. All Middle School Clubs are chartered with USA Wrestling along with there coaches and competitors. This is being done to accommodate the Middle School teams with insurance Liabilities because they are not associated with a school program.

Your can visit the the Kentucky State Wrestling Association for more info on Middle School Wrestling.

http://www.kyswa.org/

Thank you both for the info.  Can you direct me to any particular web site that may have dates for any of these tournaments.  I am interested in all KY USA,Tenn. and OH.  We are accustomed to traveling for this sport that we love so much.  I only hope that I will have time to go to all that we would like to.  New job and all.

Bates has moved on to High School, he will wrestle 103 if his weight test allows according to PLEE, I see Trevor Frietsch placing in there whatever weight he wrestles, his only hold-up is his age, he is very young, Cooper is a Cooper, if his head is in it he will beat anyone at 103 if he is really at that weight

What about Nick Paden?? Does anyone see him placing higher this year?? anyone see LaRue being seriously chanllenged this year???

dscicle: about Nick Paden placing. Guess that depends on what weight he will be going. He went 82 I believe, last year. I assume he will be at 89? If so, I am going to say 3rd or 4th. If 82, I think he could be 2nd , behind John Fahy.

I'll give it a try (in no particular order):

75) Fahy (RIVER CITY)

Rushcell (GRAY)

Canter (LARUE)

82) Watson (CON)

Paden (LARUE)

Stout (BOUR)

89) Jones (CON)

Troxell (MCC)

Miller (LARUE)

96) Goodwine (BLUEGRASS)

Brewer (CON)

Kirk (TWEN)

103) Bates (CON)

Alig (GRAY)

Terry (EAST HARDIN)

110) Alexander (N HEND)

Mace (GRAY)

Scalf (OLD)

117) No returning placers that i know of.

124) Rojas (BLUEGRASS)

Coyle (GRAY)

Wisham (MCC)

131) Greigo (MOORE)

Proctor (SOLD)

Duckworth (GRAY)

140) Abner (OLD)

Shinult (EAST/WEST HARDIN)

Hardin (LARUE)

150) Newberry (LARUE)

Lance (OLD)

Evans (WOOD)

165) White (AND)

Jackson (BOUR)

Gardner (BLUEGRASS)

185) None that i know of returning.

230) See above

Most of these are just returning state placers. Also realize that most of these kids will be moving up or down a weight class this upcoming year. I realize that some of these kids may have been 8th graders last year.  Let me know if some of these kids moved on and i will try to change this up a little.

you should leave out austin stepp from inez, he should wrestle at about 150, he wrestled 131 last year and placed 4, only losing 1 match by 1 point.. he will be a contender this year also...

you should leave out austin stepp from inez, he should wrestle at about 150, he wrestled 131 last year and placed 4, only losing 1 match by 1 point.. he will be a contender this year also...

Bates & Brewer from Conner last year were 8th graders.  Matt Watson so far is weighing about 100 lbs.  He will most likely be at 96....89 at the lowest (not that i'd ever encourage him to cut 11 lbs...but the weight just seems to melt off him for some reason when he starts practicing)

Guest LBSM

I've not seen much about Woodford Co in rankings or results.  Do they have a whole new team?  I thought all their top wrestlers were 8th graders last year.

look out for shirey from crosby at 131. he won the mustang classic this weekend at anderson county pulling huge upsets by pinning alfredo gonzales from woodford, winning over levi eads from bourbon 6-2, and winning over justin rock from LaRue 5-4 in a very contreversal finals match.

Take a look at Fern Creek's John Lampe- that kid is tough.  He's grown a lot I think he was wrestling 103 (?) last year.  He's at 124 now and looked great at the Oldham super duals last weekend.