region8fan

This year's champs vs. champs of the past

Some Clever Ones that Crossed My Mind Gonna Use Some Recent Champions

103- Yenter Vs. Jarvis Elam

112- Ervin Vs. Travis Sullivan

125- Fahy Vs. Michael Osbourne

145- Whalen Vs. Dusty Brown

171- Jude Vs. Mason Reid

No offense to any of these guys they are all state champs and damn good ones.

Jarvis over Garth. No back points all on their feet.

Sullivan over Ervin only because he was a grown man. Not nearly as good a wrestler technically.

Osbourne vs. Fahy. great match i don't know if they ever wrestled one another over the years.

Reid as well as Hitchings would have their way with Jude. Strong and technically superior.

jmo.

No offense to any of these guys they are all state champs and damn good ones.

Jarvis over Garth. No back points all on their feet.

Sullivan over Ervin only because he was a grown man. Not nearly as good a wrestler technically.

Osbourne vs. Fahy. great match i don't know if they ever wrestled one another over the years.

Reid as well as Hitchings would have their way with Jude. Strong and technically superior.

jmo.

I think Yenter and Elam would be a very close match. Elam is probably superior physically, however. Could go either way.

I dont think Sullivan could handle Ervin. Ervin is WAY too good technically and is no slouch in the athletic department.

Osbourne and Fahy would be a good match, but I have to go with Fahy.

Reid and Hitchings are both great wrestlers and probably more technical than Jude. However, Jude, physically, is very hard to match. I cant think of many who are on his level. I think it would be very interesting between these 3.

Some Clever Ones that Crossed My Mind Gonna Use Some Recent Champions

103- Yenter Vs. Jarvis Elam

112- Ervin Vs. Travis Sullivan

125- Fahy Vs. Michael Osbourne

145- Whalen Vs. Dusty Brown

171- Jude Vs. Mason Reid

Interesting that more people seem to be responding to these matchups, which are all pretty good. I go with:

Yenter over Elam - I agree, a lot of takedown action in this one

Ervin over Sullivan - Ervin too good technically and will not get muscled or thrown by Sullivan

Scoreless tie between Fahy and Osbourne - I say just start the clock and let them wrestle until someone wins (Dennis Hall)

Brown over Whalen - Whalen wrestled well enough to win at state and not up to the level I have seen in the past, based on this I give the edge to Brown who was a gamer and would find a way to win a big match

I go with Reid (big time) and Hitchings over Jude - Jude relied too much on strength this year, wouldn't work against these two

Interesting that more people seem to be responding to these matchups, which are all pretty good. I go with:

Yenter over Elam - I agree, a lot of takedown action in this one

Ervin over Sullivan - Ervin too good technically and will not get muscled or thrown by Sullivan

Scoreless tie between Fahy and Osbourne - I say just start the clock and let them wrestle until someone wins (Dennis Hall)

Brown over Whalen - Whalen wrestled well enough to win at state and not up to the level I have seen in the past, based on this I give the edge to Brown who was a gamer and would find a way to win a big match

I go with Reid (big time) and Hitchings over Jude - Jude relied too much on strength this year, wouldn't work against these two

Honestly I see Fahy beating Osbourne handily. Not to say that Osbourne wasn't good but Fahy is next year's Ervin.

Whalen could have wrestled better in his finals match, he didn't take an offensive shot but still won by four. He majored Lonkard in the semis and controlled the match against Proctor, who stuck Caddell. Proctor is just difficult to wrestle against with his style. I'd take Whalen by four points over Brown.

jude may be hard to match physically but is he athletic enought to do a standing back flip and land on his feet?? mason reid was a freak..

I am sure if Jude wanted to do a standing back flip he could do it, with some practice. The real question is could Reid rush for 3200 yards in a single football season and set the state record for single game rushing total?

jude may be hard to match physically but is he athletic enought to do a standing back flip and land on his feet?? mason reid was a freak..

Everything I heard about Reid tells me he was pretty darn strong as well.

I am sure if Jude wanted to do a standing back flip he could do it, with some practice. The real question is could Reid rush for 3200 yards in a single football season and set the state record for single game rushing total?

#1 What do either of these (Backflip or rushing)have to do with wresting?

#2 Maybe he could if his coach was determined for him to break the record therfore giving him the ball more than the normal amount of times,and he had a team to support him, with a schedule that would also alow this. (Remember Ryle played this year Cov Cath, Newport Cath, Highlands twice during regular season, and Trinity in the playoffs)

#1 What do either of these (Backflip or rushing)have to do with wresting?

#2 Maybe he could if his coach was determined for him to break the record therfore giving him the ball more than the normal amount of times,and he had a team to support him, with a schedule that would also alow this. (Remember Ryle played this year Cov Cath, Newport Cath, Highlands twice during regular season, and Trinity in the playoffs)

#1 neither have anything to with wrestling. I am sure we both were just having some fun with those comments.

#2 Jude did not carry the ball more than normal. He is the #1 back on the team and got 20-30 carries a game. Thats not abnormal. Also, Johnson Central played CovCath and Highlands, and Jude rushed for over 400 yards against CovCath and just over 100 yards against Highlands.

This post is starting to get off the wall. lets just worry about wrestling, none of this extra curricular stuff that has no meaning towards the sport of wrestling.

agreed.

but as for wrestling I think Jude isnt getting a fair shake in these discussions. At this point in their careers (junior seasons), Jude has done better than Reid. So why couldnt he hang with him?

I know JJ very well and I can PROMISE you JJ is more than athletic enough to do anything Reid or Hitchings can or could do including wrestle!!

Off topic or not!!

Just a little poke there Pride :)

Bailey was one of the best moving Hwt's I've seen in awhile.

Maybe House can move but he didn't show it. I watched his last two matches and he didn't move very much at all.

I love watching the big boys. But they have to move. Most of the great Hwt's were able to move and did so in every match.

I vote for Bailey Pin in the 2nd period.

At this point in their career?

Are you talking about grade or age?

If you are talking about age then you would have to use Reid's senior year. I'm not sure that Reid would beat Jude, but I believe that Reid was a better wrestler. However he may not have been able to handle Jude's roughness.

I think JJ might not be getting any love because of his antics and attitude.

I know JJ very well and I can PROMISE you JJ is more than athletic enough to do anything Reid or Hitchings can or could do including wrestle!!

Off topic or not!!

Just a little poke there Pride :)

I can take a good nudge every now and then. Let's throw Jayce out there against some of the past 130's. Recent ones (Johnson, Perez). I came into the game in 04. not much wrestling history for me. Need help from GOO, rider, and byrd dog.

I can take a good nudge every now and then. Let's throw Jayce out there against some of the past 130's. Recent ones (Johnson, Perez). I came into the game in 04. not much wrestling history for me. Need help from GOO, rider, and byrd dog.

Okay, just to get the SK crowd and pioneer (not sure where his allegiance lies) fired up...

Roy Gibbs over Carr, and he wins on a takedown in the third (Carr is hit for stalling just before the takedown :D )

Okay, just to get the SK crowd and pioneer (not sure where his allegiance lies) fired up...

Roy Gibbs over Carr, and he wins on a takedown in the third (Carr is hit for stalling just before the takedown :D )

Ranger - i can normally see things your way, but on this post I wasn't able to stick my head as far up my....nevermind. ;-) If you would take Yenter over Storms because of technique, then how could you take Gibbs over Carr. I'm starting to see a trend here homer!

As far as Jude over Reid or Hitchings, I think both Reid & Hitchings made their claim by placing at the Beast of the East. I know Jude has placed high at a few good nationals, like Freshman, but not sure where else. Has he been to anything comparable to the beast that has all classes (9-12)?

Ranger - i can normally see things your way, but on this post I wasn't able to stick my head as far up my....nevermind. ;-) If you would take Yenter over Storms because of technique, then how could you take Gibbs over Carr. I'm starting to see a trend here homer!

As far as Jude over Reid or Hitchings, I think both Reid & Hitchings made their claim by placing at the Beast of the East. I know Jude has placed high at a few good nationals, like Freshman, but not sure where else. Has he been to anything comparable to the beast that has all classes (9-12)?

2 comments on Gibbs. First, he was a 4x placer who had less muscle then our favorite assistant coach has hair. He won on some pretty good technique and a lot of heart. Second, he won the title in a pretty good weight that year that included Storms, Pat White, and Brandon Wilkens to name a few.

I think Jayce would beat Perez and Parker. He could hang with Johnson (Johnson just always impressed me. When he was on he was ON). Palmer and Jayce would be a toss up, leaning towards Jayce. I know Jayce very well, probably as well as ol' Buckeye knows JJ.

And as far as the age vs. grade debate for Reid and Jude: By the start of their senior seasons, Jude has more impressive credentials. 4th(8th grade year), 3rd, 3rd, State Champ.