Sign in to follow this  
LateralDrop

Ryle- State tournament

will Ryle ever capture a state title?  always prepared with talented kids.  always winning the tournaments they enter throughout the year.... never a title....! do they peak too early?  are the coaches capable? 

Ryle will be a powerhouse for a long time to come.  But like all sports, the athletes and the coaches can't control everything and some underdogs will rise to the occasion.  I was very disappointed to see how one of the Ryle wrestlers was treated by his teammates after a Friday afternoon loss.  He was obviously being verbally chastised in a very harsh manner.  I have to wonder if the high expectations and pressure was just to much for some of the boys.  I don't enjoy watching the Ryle coaches coach either.  I admire the calm manner of Camp Co's Bankemper, the enthusiasm of Boone Co's Sherlock and I really enjoyed the joy of coaching displayed by Newports new coach Tim Mosley this year. 

Ryle delivers a fiercely competitive team, year after year, and lack of a state title makes someone wonder if the coaches are "capable"?  Hmmm.  Anyone who doesn't see the fact that those coaches (and I admit I am biased) are some of the best in the state, either has their blinders on, doesn't know them well, or is jealous and "just hatin". 

Their style is not for the tenderfoot or thin skinned type of fan, for sure.  But I have had one son go through their program and am happy to have another one do the same if he so chooses.  I wouldn't want them anywhere else.  (And I mean no disrespect to other programs).  Not only are they excellent coaches, but they are fine people too. 

Needless to say I am a Ryle dad, and a fan.  The Ryle coaching staff is a fantastic group of individuals who give a tremendous amount of time and effort to one of the premier programs in the state.  That means absolutely nothing compared to what they do for all the young men in the program who if not for them at times would be lacking for food, shelter, and proper guidance.  Ryle wrestling is a team and more importantly a family.  Ryle youth, Gray middle school and then Ryle High have been producing good young men for many years and I take great offense to anyone taking pot shots about how someone was handled after a match.  My son and many others have won state championships under their coaching.  In my opinion the record speaks for itself.  Furthermore, ALL coaches in wrestling don't get paid pennies on the hour for what they do so when it comes to opinions like that keep them to yourself.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread but I feel compelled to.

Even though I may not agree with some coaching styles.  Success is success.  Some football coaches yell and scream and grab facemasks. Some are calm cool and collective. The reason they are not criticised is because it is not as obvious and they are to far away.

However look in NKY.  Argumentatively some of the greatest coaching staffs in Ky.

Ryle-  In your face high octane coaching style.

Campbell- Very calm demeanor, coaching technique at all times.

Conner- (Badida) Quick loud busts of criticism with a fatherly hug after the but chewing.

All of these three have had success at one time or another.

If you compare the two drastic differences Campbell and Ryle you will see this.

Campbell sometimes lacks the intensity and meanness to win.

Ryle sometimes gets themselves into trouble because not being able to turn down their intensity.

Both have strengths, both have weaknesses.

I howeve do not doubt that both coaching staffs have the best intensions for their wrestlers. As someone said it is a family. 

Not the opinion of GOO but my observation

GOO out.

I never said anything about the way the Ryle coaches handled the kids after a match.  It was how his teammates treated him after a match.  While I don't favor the Ryle coaching style over some of the other styles, I have never witnessed a Ryle coach mistreating a wrestler.  Ever.  No disrespect for the coaching staff was intended. 

I have known coaches at all of the NoKy schools for many years, including the ones mentioned, and would not have a problem with any of them coaching any of my kids. I am hoping that some of the kids at my school take the opportunity to work with some of them this summer. I have no problem whatsoever with either the Ryle or the Camp Co style. Both have their time and place.

Ryle is very close to winning a state title, but there are so many variables that effect who does and doesn't win. Coaching style is only a part of it.

I think Ryle's staff is as a capable of winning a state title as any coaching staff in the state. The take their teams to tough tournaments year in and year out, they do an excellent job at coaching young talent, and they are always in the hunt. Ryle's day will come its just a matter of time. They have an excellent youth staff coach by Mike and Matt Lee, and a great Middle School staff who are always one of the top 4 schools in the state.