Sign in to follow this  
underhooks123

State venue

I would love to see the tournament at NKU Bank of Kentucky Arena. It is a great facility.  However,  with school in session parking absolutely sucks, and there aren't enough places nearby to stay so everyone has to travel. Finally, I have a feeling that it would be too expensive to hold there.

I do understand the concerns for travel for some of the teams and families coming from the far reaches of the state  but from Frankfort to Lousiville it's only about an extra hour of commute time, and from frankfort to NKY it's about an hour and a half, which isn't that much more of a time/cost commitment.

I am from NKY, and it would be nice to sleep in my own bed during the tournament, so this may be biased, but to make an argument for NKU's arena there is plenty of hotels in the area.  While it doesn't have the connivence that the dungeon does with a short walk across the plaza, there are many hotels within a ten minute drive (many teams while in Frankfort are already opting to stay a few miles down the road).

There are also numerous restaurants near NKU's campus.  None of them compare to the breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant in Frankfort, but there are options there.  I think since switching to the 32 man bracket and 3 days, more space for mats is needed.  They can keep the tournament at 3 days but it would significantly cut down on the round times if 6 or 8 mats could be rolled out. 

I think NKU is too far for the southern teams and doesn't feel "fair" to make them travel 3 to 4 hours to get to the venue.  Lexington... the Horse Park... in my opinion would be the best location.  I'd like to see it stay at 3 days... start with 6 mats and drop to 4 after the first 2 to 3 rounds... if you continue to run 6 mats you will have a real issue with several wrestlers from 1 school on multiple mats at the same time.  I know with 4 there were several times I saw Union County, Trinity, Ryle, and other schools with 2 to 3 wrestlers wrestling at the same time. 

On another note... the cost of the venue will likely determine the ultimate location.  I have heard... and it is definately 3rd or 4th hand... that the current location is provided at no charge to the KHSAA... hard to compete with that!

Louisville IS NOT centrally located to everyone, no matter the population. The Frankfort/Lexington/Richmond area is more centrally located than anywhere else in the state. The Yum Center would be way too expensive, and Freedom Hall is too big -- even if they put curtains in area where fans won't be allowed to sit.
Josh,

I'm not for sure how you define "centrally located" in terms of population. But in any normal definition Louisville is MUCH more centrally located population wise than Frankfort/Lexington/Richmond area. The state of Kentucky has 4,339,367 people according to the 2010 census. Out of those 4.3 million people, 1,266,454 live in the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area. In the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area 269,096 people actually live in Indiana so if those people are removed then 997,358 people are KY residents in the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area. That comes out to 23.0% of the population who live in the Louisville MSA alone.

Since you use the term "Frankfort/Lexington/Richmond area" in your post I will use the Lexington-Fayette-Frankfort-Richmond, KY Combined Statistical Area (a very large region geographically) for population numbers. In that CSA there are 685,419 people. That comes out to 15.8% of the population.

We could further consider the top 10 cities in the state of Kentucky population wise that aren't already included and see which city they are geographically closer to.

1. Louisville - Included in the Louisville MSA

2. Lexington - Included in the Lexington CSA

3. Bowling Green - Closer to Louisville

4. Owensboro - Closer to Louisville

5. Covington -Closer to Lexington

6. Richmond - Included in the Lexington CSA

7. Hopkinsville - Closer to Louisville

8. Henderson - Closer to Louisville

9. Florence - Closer to Lexington

10. Frankfort - Included in the Lexington CSA

As you see. Of the six cities not already included four of them are closer to Louisville by more than 50 miles. The two that are closer to Lexington are only so by a mere 15 miles.

This is by no means a definitive study---but I think it's pretty clear that your original statement is false. When speaking in terms of population, Louisville is much more centrally located than the "Frankfort/Lexington/Richmond area".

While it looks like you did your research on the population numbers I noticed an issue with the results just for northern KY alone. All that is listed are covington and florence. your leaving out a whole bunch of citys in the area whose populations arn't accounted for in your numbers. Newport, Erlanger, Union, Hebron, Ft. wright, Ft. mitchell, Ft. thomas just to name a few.

While it looks like you did your research on the population numbers I noticed an issue with the results just for northern KY alone. All that is listed are covington and florence. your leaving out a whole bunch of citys in the area whose populations arn't accounted for in your numbers. Newport, Erlanger, Union, Hebron, Ft. wright, Ft. mitchell, Ft. thomas just to name a few.

None of those cities you mention are even in the top 15 which goes down to Radcliff with a population of 22,253. With such a low population comparatively speaking I don't think inclusion of those cities is necessary. For this, I was just looking at cities besides the ones in the two areas Josh mentioned that would have an impact on the overall numbers. When you further add that the NKY cities aren't more than 15 miles difference between Lexington and Louisville I feel that my statement would still stand that Louisville is much more centrally located in terms of population.

I hope that clears it up a little.

OK I did my research;

The population center of KY is in Washington Co. in the city of Willisburg.

If you take to two venues being talked about here (kentucky Horse Park and Freedom Hall) here is the raw data.

From Willisburg to Kentucky Horse Park 53.73 miles

From Willisburg to Freedom hall in Lou 53.64 miles.

Technically Lou Freedom Hall is closer but by less than a 10th of a mile.

Apparently Louisville is considered central because they discount the presence of Region 8 in the east.

By this logic having state in Frankfort discounts the presence of Region 1 in the west. By driving distance and time Region 1 is on average 204.33 miles and 209.92 minutes away from the Farnham Dudgeon. The longest drive distance/time in Region 1 from Farnham Dudgeon is Calloway County at 263 miles and 269 minutes.

In contrast, if the state was held in Louisville than Region 8 on average would be 190.17 miles and 205.50 minutes away from Louisville. The longest drive distance/time for Region 8 is Letcher County Central at 222 miles and 250 minutes.

So, by having the state tournament in Louisville as opposed to Frankfort we are actually asking Region 8 to take on LESS of a burden than what is currently asked of Region 1.

*All of these driving times/distances are provided by Google Maps and are of course approximations.

More research::::

The geographic center (GC) of Kentucky is between Sumersville and Bengal KY.

Now using that data.

Distance to Kentucky Horse Park from GC is 100.72 miles

Distance to Freedom Hall in Lou from GC is 77.84 miles

Both instances show Lou is more central. Sorry :D

From what I've been told, Louisville isn't in the running at this point. It's between the Horse Park and NKU.

The Yum Center would be too expensive and Freedom Hall would feel empty.

By this logic having state in Frankfort discounts the presence of Region 1 in the west. By driving distance and time Region 1 is on average 204.33 miles and 209.92 minutes away from the Farnham Dudgeon. The longest drive distance/time in Region 1 from Farnham Dudgeon is Calloway County at 263 miles and 269 minutes.

In contrast, if the state was held in Louisville than Region 8 on average would be 190.17 miles and 205.50 minutes away from Louisville. The longest drive distance/time for Region 8 is Letcher County Central at 222 miles and 250 minutes.

So, by having the state tournament in Louisville as opposed to Frankfort we are actually asking Region 8 to take on LESS of a burden than what is currently asked of Region 1.

*All of these driving times/distances are provided by Google Maps and are of course approximations.

It doesnt really matter to me either way, But how many teams are in region 8/region 1? Have you taken into consideration the wrestling community population and not just state census statistics? Just curious as to what you come up with

It doesnt really matter to me either way, But how many teams are in region 8/region 1? Have you taken into consideration the wrestling community population and not just state census statistics? Just curious as to what you come up with

Region 1 will have 13 teams next year if my numbers are correct. Fort Campbell, Hopkinsville, UHA, Christian County, Ohio County, Daviess County, Apollo, Trigg County, Caldwell County, Calloway County, Union County, Owensboro Senior (new), McCracken County (new high school, consolidating heath, reidland, and lone oak. They asked dennis walls to coach them but he has retired)

I think NKU would be a much longer drive for the region 1 people, right? Also, the parking and ease of use at NKU isn't good. At all. If Freedom Hall is too big, how about Broadbent Arena? It has all the fantastic Louisville amenities and is only slightly larger than the Dungeon. (6600 capacity I think). What is the capacity of the Horse Park facility? If KHSAA is interested in making the $$, I think there would be a much larger crowd of spectators if the championships were held in Louisville than anywhere else, hands down. I don't think the Horse Park has as convenient amenities as other places, even though the facility itself is nice.

Region 1 will have 13 teams next year if my numbers are correct. Fort Campbell, Hopkinsville, UHA, Christian County, Ohio County, Daviess County, Apollo, Trigg County, Caldwell County, Calloway County, Union County, Owensboro Senior (new), McCracken County (new high school, consolidating heath, reidland, and lone oak. They asked dennis walls to coach them but he has retired)

What about PT?

I think having it in NKY would surprise you on the numbers you would get. I for one would bring my youth team in Cincinnati to watch it and im sure others in the Cincinnati area would do the same. I think the number would be higher if you had it in louisville or NKU than they would be in lexington. As far as lodging I believe both louisville and NKY would be about the same. I'm sure NKU would work around the parking issue.

With these driving times, I just simply used the schools that have a wrestling team in that region. I would say that does a pretty good job of considering the wrestling community population.

Here are some randomn and unsolicited thoughts from one wrestling fan.

As far as Louisville is concerned I do agree that Freedom Hall and Yum! Center are not good options. Both facilities are too big to host an event that draws roughly 5k spectators for the finals. But I think Broadbent should be considered. I truly wish that there was a newer facility that seated around 5-7k spectators in Louisville that could host the event...because logically I think that Louisville is the best spot to hold the finals.

I also agree with the sentiments that the number of spectators would increase if held in Louisville. It's just common sense to think that if you hold an event in the state's largest population area that more people will show up.

I'm not opposed to NKU---even when considering the extra burden you'd be putting on practically every team for driving time. The huge positive is NKY is probably the most passionate wrestling area in the entire state and I think you'd see a very cool atmosphere and a bump in attendance.

One final idea that I don't think has been discussed anywhere. And this idea comes with just a rudimentary amount of thought right now...I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of rotation between the discussed sites and maybe even other places across the state. Some other sites to consider that haven't been mentioned are the Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center in Pikeville which seats roughly 7k people. How about The Arena in Corbin also? I believe it's similarly sized. And I'm sure there are several good spots in the western part of the state that are capable of hosting the event. If promoting the sport is the #1 concern then letting all areas of the state get a shot to host could really help to drive up the interest. Just a thought though and I will already acknowledge that this could be a logistics nightmare.

I actually like the idea of a rotating state tourny then revenue from the tourny would be spread throughout the state. I just wonder in todays day and age if any of the arenas would agree to a one year contract most places would want multiple years for max income.

The Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center would be a great venue for the finals. The seating is great, they could have up to 8 mats, etc. However, I dont think Pikeville has enough hotels/motels for this event. And of course it is not centrally located in the least bit.

In my rotation scenario for the western part of the state E.A. Diddle in Bowling Green and the Sportscenter in Owensboro both look to be good options.

I know it was supposedly very close to coming to Owensboro until that one big hotel, cant remember it's name, shut down. The sportscenter being the destination