Sign in to follow this  
trithis

Responsible Sports Parenting

After officiating at the State Duals this weekend and hearing what some of the parents were saying before, during and after their kids matches, some of you may want to copy this link, click on it, and read it and watch the videos.  I am not bashing anyone in particular or telling you what to do, but it has some great information for both coaches and parents. 

http://www.responsiblesports.com/responsible_sport_parenting/default.aspx?utm_source=usaw&utm_medium=pg&utm_campaign=rsp

KY Coach - I could not agree more!  I wrestled in HS & College and coached HS wrestling in Northern Ohio. Then I was out of the sport for 20 years until my boys decided they wanted to wrestle 4 years ago.

This is something I noticed about Kentucky wrestling - I am appalled at the way parents crowd the mat and scream at the wrestlers. Just because you own a camera does not give you the god-given right to be on the mat. Everyone belongs in the stands. Nothing makes me more furious than to see a wrestler on his back with parents and teammates slapping the mat right beside them. It is "HillBilly" wrestling at it's finest.

Why coaches allow their team to sit at or on the mat astounds me. Do you really want each of them giving instructions to your wrestler during the match? There is one NKY teams that "Always" has the entire team lay on the mat even if they are "in the way" of the coaches and wrestlers getting ready to compete.

On a positive note Harrison County "roped off" the mats and most people stayed away (except for that team I was referring to earlier). It made it look like a real wrestling meet and not the typical "cock-fight" setting I normally have to endure.

So parents stay in the stands, teammates sit beside them and cheer as loud as you possibly can. It will be a better experience for everyone involved!

Sorry one last item - Coaches why do you feel that you have to follow your wrestlers all the way around the mat? Are they that poorly coached that you have to always be within 2 feet of them to tell them what to do? Do a better job of preparing them during the week and you can sit back and watch them as THEY compete. In the "Old Days" in Ohio, they took away team points if you did not sit in the chair the entire time.

Act Like You Been There, your " hillbilly" comment is out of line and quite offensive. Maybe you should think your out a little more before sticking your foot in your mouth! I a free totally with what your trying to get across but you chose your words very poorly

Please excuse the misspelling and errors. That's what happens when you try to post from an iPhone. What I meant is, even though I agree totally with you , that was a very poor choice of words trying to get your point across

REFDAD  - I read back through your posts and would would like to use this one as an example of what I am trying to convey. REFDAD#252 "Last year I went to Lakewood St Eds vs St paris Grahm dual. Ranked #1 and #3 in the nation at the time. Yes nation, not state. The coaches as well as wrestlers acted with class. I am talking about kids nationally ranked loosing. That dosent happen often , but they still acted like young men. The fans of course go crazy but I never saw any flipping the bird or cursing the other team. I hope we can follow this example and set an example for our kids to win and loose with class. Wrestle and cheer  and coach your guts out but win or loose go shake the other guys hand, and train harder for the next time."

I'm not saying that Ohio is perfect just that I have not personally witnessed this behavior in Ohio. We wrestled last spring in Columbus at OSU and it was a wonderful experience for the wrestlers and the fans. Furthermore, I am not implying that the term "Hillbilly" wrestling can only be applied to people from Kentucky. Like you I am only saying that the parents and coaches should "set an example for our kids" and show some class. 

Sir, I agree with what you are saying here. All I am saying us that I, as I am sure others took offense to your use of the word " hillbilly"

I will have to add that the Montgomery Co. folks that ran the State Duals and the arena that it was held in did a wonderful job.  The great part about the location is that only the coaches and wrestlers can get to the floor and it is large enough to hold such a nice event.   

I'm not saying that Ohio is perfect just that I have not personally witnessed this behavior in Ohio.

This spring attend the Tournament of Champions in Columbus, Ohio and let us know what you think about crowding the mat in Ohio. I personally love the tournament but its crazy!

Eville dad  - that sounds like a great idea!

Wildblueeyes - I can tell the difference based on two observations:

The type of camera that  a "photographer" typically uses and most "photographer's" are not talented enough to scream at of their lungs, slap the mat and take professional photo's.

See everyone this weekend!

This spring attend the Tournament of Champions in Columbus, Ohio and let us know what you think about crowding the mat in Ohio. I personally love the tournament but its crazy!

Exactly.  April 16 at the convention center.  20+ mats of constant wrestling and parents sitting all around the mats.  Amazing wrestling, but quite chaotic.