Sign in to follow this  
MLee

Youth State Tournament

CBender, thanks for your support and I love your ideas.  I'll try to address all changes made to fix some of the issues you referenced.

1) Start time:  In my opinion, this is the most important component to running a smooth tournament.  We are going to do everything in our power to make sure the whistles are blowing at 9:00.  Brackets and mat assignments will be posted the night before.  Also, I am going to email mat assignments to coaches prior to the tournament.  This will allow them to prepare the parents before arriving to state.  However, we'll deliver another copy of the mat assignments to the head coach/team mom once they check in.  I'm hopeful this extra work will make it easier for parents and kids to find their mats and get ready to wrestle. 

2) I'm w/ you 100% on the faceoff.  I am pushing for a "Walk of Champions" type of ceremony that allows all participants to walk a path w/ their team and meet in the middle.  An announcer would simply call off each team in alphabetical order, w/ the spot light and music going.  The team would be lead by their coaches.  I'm sure this would have some issues, but it would certainly save time and allow all wrestlers to participate, not just finalists. 

3) I consulted w/ the tournament director for the City Wide tournament held in Cincy, which usually has 1200+ kids.  He recommended 3 sessions too.  I see the benefit in doing it, my only concern would be w/ table workers.  As the sessions end, the parents and help tend to leave.  We should certainly consider this for future tournaments.

You are doing a fine job Matt.  Just because other areas can't keep up with the times, does not mean we stop and wait.  Kentucky wrestling has come a long way, and it is still shooting upwards.  We are competing with Ohio, and Indiana.  Raider wrestling speaks for itself.  Keep up, or stay behind.

CBender, thanks for your support and I love your ideas.  I'll try to address all changes made to fix some of the issues you referenced.

1) Start time:  In my opinion, this is the most important component to running a smooth tournament.  We are going to do everything in our power to make sure the whistles are blowing at 9:00.  Brackets and mat assignments will be posted the night before.  Also, I am going to email mat assignments to coaches prior to the tournament.  This will allow them to prepare the parents before arriving to state.  However, we'll deliver another copy of the mat assignments to the head coach/team mom once they check in.  I'm hopeful this extra work will make it easier for parents and kids to find their mats and get ready to wrestle. 

2) I'm w/ you 100% on the faceoff.  I am pushing for a "Walk of Champions" type of ceremony that allows all participants to walk a path w/ their team and meet in the middle.  An announcer would simply call off each team in alphabetical order, w/ the spot light and music going.  The team would be lead by their coaches.  I'm sure this would have some issues, but it would certainly save time and allow all wrestlers to participate, not just finalists. 

3) I consulted w/ the tournament director for the City Wide tournament held in Cincy, which usually has 1200+ kids.  He recommended 3 sessions too.  I see the benefit in doing it, my only concern would be w/ table workers.  As the sessions end, the parents and help tend to leave.  We should certainly consider this for future tournaments.

Where will the brackets and mat assignments be posted?

Damon,

We'll have brackets and mat assignments posted on a wall at the Convention Center.  This will allow coaches/parents/kids find their team's mat assignment quickly as they enter the tournament.  The mat assignment will also include their bracket number.  With so many brackets, it can be hard to locate w/out the number. 

Just a quick update.  After visiting w/ the Convention Center (along w/ Kyle) we have made some final decisions and changes on a few things.  Here is a list of changes made (most of which have been discussed):

1) All spectators (w/ the exception of the handicapped) will enter the Convention Center through the 2nd floor (travel up the ramps) versus the main floor like the High School Tournament.  They'll be asked to exit the same way.  This will help reduce the floor traffic. 

2) As mentioned before, nobody will be permitted on the floor w/out bands.  This will be strictly enforced by 6-8 police officers and security guards. 

3) The first 5 rows of seats will be blocked off for wrestlers and coaches only.  There will be designated staging areas for all participants located close to their mat assignment.  The kids will be asked to sit in this area until called.  Coaches will be encouraged to sit in these areas as much as possible too. 

4) The medal ceremony will start as soon as the bracket is complete.  A staging area will be set up for kids to sit while pictures are taking.  Although we are using the same area, we've made a few adjustments to help cut back the crowd.  Unfortunately, there really isn't a perfect place to hand out the medals.

5) 2 sets of brackets and mat assignments will be posted (one on each wall heading up the ramp).  This should make it easy for kids and parents to locate where they need to be as they enter.

6) Hospitality room will be for all table workers, refs, AND COACHES.

7) Head table will be located in the area w/ the sound equipment.  This will give us a little more room on the floor.

7) Face off will remain as is. 

raidercoach

Raidercoach in on why have I attempted to belittle all the hard work which goes into developing a successful wrestling program.  I personally believe Campbell, Corner, River City, Union and many other have become successful due to the hard work of coaches, kids and parents and are bench marks programs to model.  In addition, I respect you and MLee for many reason one being your user name allows people to know who you are thus not hiding behind screen names.  However, the fact are what the are and that is the association had not work to develop wrestling through out Kentucky.  In my opinion the association had work more for self development and created hoops to limited participation.  The best example of that is requiring all AAU Cards in by 1-1-11 our program can not wrestle in the tournaments.  Many of the rural teams have not stated by the 1st of January.  That 7 weeks before the state tournament.

Just following the Remarks, But to correct one thing. They are USA cards, not AAU cards. Also as most coaches know, 1-1-11 was a guideline to get team info in. I have not refused any coach turning in team info after that date. The early dedline was to help me register and input every team before the big day. I can tell you that i am still updating teams. This did not effect any team in the association.

First, I do not feel NKY Youth wrestling agenda is to " keep rural parts of the state from developing better youth teams" (not sure where you got that from) but, the NKY agenda is to push their personal agenda over the development of youth wrestling in Kentucky.  Just follow the money, it takes you to the where the agenda.

JCB, I have been to every association meeting and discuss all these issues. The problem is, not many coaches show up at no fault of the associations. The coaches that attend are the ones that step up and host events and make decisions. The assoc. or even the coaches cannot read the minds of coaches that do not attend. If everyone would attend the associations meetings then everyone would be on the same playing field.It's Hard for coaches to complain when they don't show up to express there issues. Start attending the meetings.

kdsmith27

I believe if you review the meeting notes you will see that we have had a coach at most if not all the meeting.  However, getting the "alliance"  to make difficult choices to promote wrestling through out Kentucky not their program personal interest seems to have not happen. 

JCB,

The increase in participation should verify the sport is being promoted throughout KY.  I've heard the first state tournaments were in the 200-300 range.  Last year we had over 800 kids.  This year we're expecting 900+. 

Also, I'm aware of 3 first year youth programs this season and I'm sure there is more.  I've recently seen a list that had the names of all the youth programs.  I was amazed how many teams have developed over recent years.  Isn't this another indicator youth wrestling in KY is growing and being promoted?

It seems to me the association has done a fine job at making those difficult choices, the results prove that. 

The growth of youth wrestling in Kentucky has been outstanding over the past few years.  This is demonstrated by the increased number of attendees at the state tournament and the increased amount of teams across the state.   

JCB, it is obvious that you are not satisfied with the growth in the areas where YOU want to see growth.  You have made many unfounded claims that there is an agenda by NKY and Louisville to support their growth, but not the growth of rural parts of the state.  I agree with the notion that rural parts lack some of the resources to keep up with other parts of the state.  But make no mistake, the biggest resource behind the growth of these teams is people...not money generated by hosting the state tournament.  Hence, because there is a greater resource of people in NKY and Louisville, there will naturally be more growth in these areas.  This is true with any state and/or sport in the country. 

Being so close to Ohio, we get to see many successful wrestling programs.  Almost all of them come from the big cities like Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Cleveland and Toledo.  Their success has nothing to do with money, but is the result of many people volunteering their time and energy into building their teams from the ground up.  We go head-to-head with youth teams that have had many years of a head start over Raider Youth and for the most part, we get our butts kicked.  Most of these teams have 5-10 experienced coaches and a ton of parents helping coordinate fund raising events.  These teams aren't good because of one or two coaches, but are the result of an entire community's efforts. 

Your feelings about Raider Youth and other NKY and Louisville programs are obvious.  You have claimed that we have an "elitist attitude", but I claim that you have an inferiority complex.  I can relate, because that is how NKY has felt to Cincinnati for years.  My only advice would be to do something about it instead of complaining about "the man" holding you down.     

For what it's worth, I disagree with the assertion that rural areas are disadvantaged in wrestling.  St Paris Graham, Claymont, Monroeville and a host of other Ohio schools are in rural areas and have done very well.  Granted St Paris Graham has virtual recruits, but the program was built with local kids and is not exactly in an urban area.

nkawtg135 - rural areas are at a disadvantage because they lack the main resource to develop elite programs: people.  I don't think it is impossible for a rural school to build an elite program, it is just much more unlikely and difficult.  All three of the Ohio programs you listed are virtually suburbs of considerable sized cities.  St. Paris Graham pulls kids from both Dayton and Columbus, Claymont is relatively close to Columbus and Monroeville is near Sandusky. 

Furthermore, these are rare cases. Ohio has a plethora of elite wrestlers who wrestled at the highest levels.  Hence, it is more likely for rural teams to find success in states with an abundance of elite wrestlers to coach and build programs, such as Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey.  I think it is a safe assumption that if you venture into the rural parts of these elite states, you will find many more people who had successful wrestling careers who are coaching and supporting local programs compared to Kentucky. 

For what it's worth, I disagree with the assertion that rural areas are disadvantaged in wrestling.  St Paris Graham, Claymont, Monroeville and a host of other Ohio schools are in rural areas and have done very well.  Granted St Paris Graham has virtual recruits, but the program was built with local kids and is not exactly in an urban area.

Both LaRue and Union counties are rural areas.  And they are two of the more successful programs in the state.

It can be done with hard work.

Correction....Claymont is not near Columbus, my mistake.

My point being that the opportunity to succeed is not dictated by geography.  Some of the worst programs in Ohio are in Cleveland, Akron etc, while some of the best are in rural areas.  Granted Ryle casts a large net and has great coaching and has done and will do well, but that doesn't mean rural kids cant compete.

I just wanted to state that I truly enjoyed the State Tournament last year and thought everyone did a wonderful job putting it together.  I thought it was a very positive environment...busy (what tournament wouldn't be with that many wrestlers involved), but very enjoyable.  I loved the music and watching the dancing Refs...they were great and kept the kids entertained the whole day.  We have to remember that this is a Youth Tournament and shouldn't be taken so seriously that you lose sight of that fact...it's about letting the kids have fun and learn to love this sport.  If you make it too serious it turns into a bootcamp environment and the kids will get burned out too quickly and never truly have a chance to enjoy and love it.

My only suggestion for this year would be to continue to keep it upbeat for the kids and the spectators.  We know it will run long...there really isn't a way to keep that from happening.  Therefore make it fun while it lasts.  :-D

We at SKY appreciate everything everyone is doing and has done to make the State Tourament for Youth happen.  I couldn't even imagine the headache it is to put on a Tourament of that magnitude. 

Good Luck to all wrestlers...see you on the 20th (or 19th if you'll also we watching HS)!

nkawtg135- I certainly have never stated that rural kids can't compete.  There are countless examples where teams from rural areas have been able to develop successful programs in all sports.  My main point is that all it takes to make a successful program is the right people (coaches, athletic directors, parents, kids) rural or urban.  It is my opinion, that urban areas have an advantage when it comes to getting the right people for obvious reasons, there are more people to choose from.  By no means is it a guarantee that a team will be successful because they are from a larger city. 

I wouldn't go so far as to say that some of the worst teams in Ohio are from Cleveland and Akron.  There are countless statistics out there to support that historically the overwhelming majority of Ohio's best wrestlers and teams have come from Northeast Ohio.  Almost every team champion in Ohio for all 3 divisions has always come from an urban area.  Some people consider St. Paris rural, but it is essentially a suburb of Dayton.  The same way Woodford County is a suburb of Lexington.

These posts have gotten a little sidetracked.  I just wanted to defend the efforts of some of the people involved with youth wrestling in Kentucky.  I wish everyone luck and hope every team meets their goals. 

I guess I dont understand the whole arguement going on here at all. It is a STATE tournament. Frankfort is central to the state and everyone is invited. It sounds like someone wants the store to stay open an hour later just cause they dont get off work till then. Seems more like someone needs to talk to the people in their local area to see if they can get the support instead of attacking others who have made the effort to do what it takes.Obviously the greater the population of an area the more resources available, that should not be an area of blame. I dont understand why WKY cant start their season earlier. We have high school wrestling coaches who assist our youth after finishing up with the high schoolers. Stop blaming others and take it upon yourselves. Not many companies cater to the needs of an individual, but more so to the needs of a goup as a whole and no companies build stores where there is no demand or customer base. So what are you expecting from youth wrestling?

Just want to thank all the parents, coaches, refs and others involved for helping to make these things possible, and for the continued support towards the growth of wrestling in Kentucky. I know I promote locally. What about you? (sorry but only locally because the only time I travel is to these other KY county tourneys)