Sign in to follow this  
fireplug

small school- big school

Totally disagree.  When Perry Central started under Coach Paul Chaney he usually had about 6 wrestlers with no match ups in weight and came away with medalists at state many times.

How many years ago was this? Goodluck doing that now

I don't think Walton is a very good example for this discussion. No disrespect to the program or the coaches but they did/do rely heavily on the "Big Schools" for some of their wrestlers."

Act Like Youve Been There,

I don't understand what you mean by this statement? How is it you get the impression that Walton relies heavily on " Big School" for some of their wrestlers?

Being from a small KY school that lost their wrestling program, I am glad to see the sport appears to be growing in the state.

Does the KHSAA rules allow for shared sports programs? Shared ahletic programs are pretty common in other states. Some of the shared programs may only involve one or two of the athletic programs offered. I have seen up to three small schools (less than 200 enrollment) in one state combine their wrestling team so they have enough kids to fill a squad. The school districts had to sign a formal agreement that had to be approved by the state athletic association. Sharing agreement are not always long term so has enrollments change, these agreement may be disolved or modified. In really small schools that offer limited sport programs, they may have agreements with other schools that allow their kids to participate at that school in certain sports. Sharing agreement in some state can be also cross county lines since school district are not required to be totally inside one county. Perhaps, Kentucky already allows shared aports programs, and I am outdated on the KHSAA rules. If KHSAA does not currently support it, it might be worth pushing for. It would give some small schools a chance to keep sports with low participation numbers or allow their kids the opportunity to participate at another school without losing their enrollment. It beats taking away opportunities for high school kids to compete.

Guest cmccoy

i think it's hilarious that the folks for this are the schools who either get their butt handed to them by the smaller schools (aka LaRue and Union). I know for a fact LaRue and Union are against this. The ones who want the split are the larger schools for the most part. Keep it as is. right now KY doesnt' have the numbers to split. In a few years when more schools have started programs, then we can entertain this idea. And for those who say more schools would start programs if we split, we had 6 schools attempt to start programs this year in the state of KY. call me crazy, but sounds to me like schools ARE starting wrestling without us splitting.

As someone who is involved with this very closely, I can assure you that it is not the big schools making this push.

How many years ago was this? Goodluck doing that now

Chaney coached from 1999-2005 and seldom kept more than half dozen. Had strong 215, 103, 140 with a few others sprinkled in. Not exactly matching weights.

dscicle,

The big schools are not the ones pushing for this change. They don't want the state split.

It's the small schools. They think the KHSAA will split the state, and give the smaller schools the choice to compete up in class and that teams like LaRue and Union County will jump at it.

Well after a 2 year absence from the sport of wrestling I watched very close what went on this season in wrestling. After 20 years of being a sucessfull HS assistant and very successfull middle school coach and referee I noticed something that benefits the state wrestling community and all efforts should be consintrated in this. The participation of elementary and middle school wrestlers have made wrestling communities across the state weather it is in big school or little school. The importance of wrestling at an early age is important because it brings numbers to the sport. Programs in small communities like Union , Larue, Johnson Central and even with the clubs at River City and Shamrock have fosterd participants in the sport because the sport is important to that particular community. For wrestling to grow , all energies must be put in these efforts. If you look at the state championship teams of the last 20 years, they have one thing in common, a strong wrestling community with wrestlers that have started for the most part at an early age. The dissucion of spliting wrestling in to 2 or 3 classes is futile until more communties are established. Any school can try to establish a championship program, but first they have to establish community. And on last arguement, how many 6A schools had full dual meet line ups this year? I do like the idea of jacketcoach and possibly having a ALL A classic duals the weekend before regions