TeamJesus316

Qualifying for States?

How does qualifying from each region work for the state tournament? Are there a different number of qualifiers from each region? Does anyone have the rundown of the number of qualifiers per region?

Lewis Mendez

Team Jesus Wrestling Club

There is 8 regional tournaments.

Each region has 4 qualifiers in each weight class.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

The top 4 places get to go. If for some reason one of the top 4 do not attend the state tournament the #5 man gets the next seed in line.

There is a rotation of who gets to use there alternate to fill the spot.

I believe this started last year. In the previous years it was not filled and some wt. classes had byes.

The rotation is posted on the KHSAA website.

All i have to say is bring back district. That way the match ups that are supposed to happen, happen. Theres to many kids going to the state tourny that dont belong and the tourny is to long. 2 day tourney is long enough stop doing it for the money and do it for the Kids.

ok lets say that you bring districts back and in that region the top 6 wrestlers in the state are competing for 4 spots. now you only have 4 of the top 6 and not all 6 of them going for the gold. a 32 man bracket allows for more spots to be open for the top wrestlers. yes it also allows some of a lesser caliber wrestler to get to go to state but it doesnt take long to see who isnt ready yet. those extra spots filled by those other 2 inthe top 6 send em packin. but as i am sure most would agree it is a very long tournament.

ok lets say that you bring districts back and in that region the top 6 wrestlers in the state are competing for 4 spots. now you only have 4 of the top 6 and not all 6 of them going for the gold. a 32 man bracket allows for more spots to be open for the top wrestlers. yes it also allows some of a lesser caliber wrestler to get to go to state but it doesnt take long to see who isnt ready yet. those extra spots filled by those other 2 inthe top 6 send em packin. but as i am sure most would agree it is a very long tournament.

Yes, it is long, but we're talking about wrestling. The sport that we all love. I could live with it being 5 days. No amount of wrestling is too much.

Then some one needs to come up with a better way to seed the tournament if it is going to stay a 32 man bracket. and thats that. Rank the top 4 maybe eight. 1 and 2 on opposite sides two and three and 4 and 1 meet in semis the rest just get stuck in or set as good as they can. Not more the 1 and 2 meeting in the quarters or semis its the Finals match unless there is a big upset.

Then some one needs to come up with a better way to seed the tournament if it is going to stay a 32 man bracket. and thats that. Rank the top 4 maybe eight. 1 and 2 on opposite sides two and three and 4 and 1 meet in semis the rest just get stuck in or set as good as they can. Not more the 1 and 2 meeting in the quarters or semis its the Finals match unless there is a big upset.

I agree 100% with finding a way to seed the top 4.

In no way do I think this will ever be accomplished. Coaches can't even agree on seeding at the regional meets.

We can do what other states do, but then you have someone like Coty Lewis who didn't win his region. How do you seed him? To many variables to come up with a way to seed.

In no way do I think this will ever be accomplished. Coaches can't even agree on seeding at the regional meets.

We can do what other states do' date=' but then you have someone like Coty Lewis who didn't win his region. How do you seed him? To many variables to come up with a way to seed.[/quote']

Easy. Set some criteria and have the coaches association actually do something and vote on it. First rule, only region champs are considered for seeding. That cuts out a lot of the issues. If my count is right, that would be 41 teams this past season. Many who know their guy(s) is not one of the top 4. It can be done. It is just a matter of the coaches deciding to swallow some pride and do what it takes to make an awesome event even better.

In california, we have the same size tournament, 32 men and they only seed the top 2 (putting them on opposite sides of the bracket going by the state rankings). There are still kids there who dont deserve to be and some kids dont qualify who deserve to go. That is just the breaks. But in California, they readjust the qualifying each year by how many medals your section (or region) have at the state tournaments (One section I believe qualifies 8 while some of the sections qualify only 1 or 2 because they almost never have any placers). That way strong regions, who tend to have tougher kids, get more qualifiers. Just a suggestion from another states example.

it could be worse. In new york only the top guy in the section goes to states and they have like 11 sections and the team title is done by duals and you dont represent your team you represent your section