kdsmith27

Wrestling program Coming to Univ. of KY

I just got off the phone with the New Coach from U of K, I was so excited I cannot remember has name. He stated that they were starting wrestling there and needed some info. He stated that it will be a slow process but they are working on a full program. I will give more info when I hear more.

Guest DAWG6

If this turns out to be true :roll:

This will be one of the best post, I think I've seen :D

Who is the coach?

Johnathan Dale is starting thing at UK. they were apporoved to Start as a club and will build from there.

So are they going to be able to recruit and give full scholarships to people to come wrestle for them?

Its to early for that. But if the program goes well, it is only a matter of time.

I e-mailed Mitch Barnhart about a year ago and asked him if there was any chance of a wrestling program at UK and he basically said no chance. I guess things have changed, that's good news!

just wrestle - man, get over the small school thing...if you aren't a small school team, why do you care if small schools crown themselves a champion. i think it's great, and something to be proud of for the small schools. it's ridiculous the way people want to knock the whole small school thing. it's easy to go to a school with 2000 kids and act like the small schools are being babies and they should just compete....if you were in that boat, you may see it differently..in fact i guarantee you would.

this is old and tired man!

Hey, your right, I have gotten on this alittle much and its probably time to get over it.

I just think Larue has came so far in such a short time and doing things like missing out on the oportunity to compete in such a great tourney like state duals is a mistake. It not only takes away from competition for Larue but for other teams as well.

But whatever, I'm sure life will go on for all....

just wrestle - sorry for snapping a bit. I probably took out some frustration on you that i've had with a bunch of other guys on here. You have a point about state duals....it would be nice if Larue was there with the big schools too, since they will be very good this year. But with the state tournament, i don't think the small school title takes away anything from the tournament at all. And it's been frustrating to see - i hate to say it - but primarily woodford kids on here making a big deal about it. I say who cares...Woodford is the best program in the state without question. GOD did that just hurt to type that! ;-) But if Larue or Union or whoever gets crowned the "small schools" state champs, I say it's well deserved and good for them. Just my opinion. I would definitely change my tune if they started talking about having 2 seperate state tourneys....unless we start getting a lot more h.s. wrestling programs.

Ok, sorry to be a wet blanket for everyone...but I have to ask this question. How hard is it or how likely is it to convert a club team to a sponsored school team at UK? I've heard of a few college club teams that didn't end up becoming a school team. (UC had one for a while)

kdsmith - i know you said it's early, but from your conversation with the coach, are they optimistic that it will turn into an official team?

I know that Patrick Keal (Trinity 04) has been doing all the necessary paper work to get a club started. This has been going on since last semester. Wrestling is a huge liability to the university,and yet they still manage to field a boxing team. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Ok' date=' sorry to be a wet blanket for everyone...but I have to ask this question. How hard is it or how likely is it to convert a club team to a sponsored school team at UK? I've heard of a few college club teams that didn't end up becoming a school team. (UC had one for a while)

kdsmith - i know you said it's early, but from your conversation with the coach, are they optimistic that it will turn into an official team?[/quote']

He stated that he had to complete alot of paperwork for them to start a club. but they now have there foot in the door. Also they were actually approved by UK to start this club. They will be practicing on the karate mats for now. It will take awhile to grow, but I see us as a community supporting there program as much as we can.

WOW this is the best news since we got two NAIA College Teams in Kentucky,I hope they make it a real wrestling team soon,that would be great,of course it'd take alot of feedback,and support because U OF K as we all know is a basketball school,so whoever is in power make some magic!!!

University of Louisville has alot of our former KY wrestlers so if either starts it would be great!!!

Just imagine for once on TV in the NCAA Wrestling tournament there could be one or two college teams from Kentucky there!!! That would be great!!!I'm getting ahead of myself too happy

I agree you are gettind ahead of yourself MagicBone, but I love your enthusiasm for wrestling in Kentucky. If they do get a team then maybe we will see a current young middle school wrestler from Kentucky on TV wrestling for a place at nationals with the letters UK on his singlet! Wouldn't that be awesome!?!

The University of Kentucky IS the college of this State. Loserville is little brother.

When was LOSERville in the Final Four before last year? Has it been 20 years???? One season doesn't make a tradition. Garcia is gone now, Dean will not do as well without Garcia to take the pressure off of him. It won't take free throws for UK to beat them this year, it won't be that close.

I'm in the Woodford camp on the UK thing. :shock: Yikes !

Seriously though Louisville is like the little brother trying to impress his big brother's friends. Every once in a GREAT while, he pulls it off !

I'm in the Woodford camp on the UK thing. :shock: Yikes !

Seriously though Louisville is like the little brother trying to impress his big brother's friends. Every once in a GREAT while' date=' he pulls it off ![/quote']

EXACTLY!!!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!