Sign in to follow this  
BigBossMan

Region Realignments for 2010/2011

I propose the following. Just from years of having to drive from tournaments across the state. If we do not go back to district/region/state format. Realign as follows:

Reg 1: WKY (11 teams) Apollo, Caldwell, Calloway, Christian, Daviess, Ft Campbell, Hopkinsville, Ohio, Pad. Tighlman, Union, UHA. Same as current.

Reg 2: ??? (10 teams) Barren Co, Bullitt Cent, Bullitt East, Central Hardin, Ft Knox, John Hardin, Larue, Meade, Nelson, North Hardin.

Reg 3: Jefferson Co West (12 teams) Central, Desales, Doss, Fairdale, Holy Cross, Iroquois, Manual, PRP, Shawnee, St. X, Valley, Western. Combo of current regions 3/4.

Reg 4: Jefferson Co East (9 teams) Atherton, Eastern, Fern Creek, Jeffersontown, KCD, Moore, Seneca, Southern, Trinity. Combo of current regions 4/5.

Reg 5: NKY (12 teams) Bishop Brossart, Boone, Campbell, Conner, Cooper, Dixie Heights, Holmes, Newport, Ryle, Scott, Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona. Same as current.

Reg 6: Central KY (9 teams) Anderson, Boyle, Danville, Franklin, North Oldham, Oldham, S. Oldham, Woodford, Western Hills. Combo of current regions 2/5/7.

Reg 7: LEX (9 teams) Bourbon, Bryan Station, Harrison, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Madison Cent., Montgomery, Paul L. Dunbar, Tates Creek.

Reg 8: EKY (11 teams) Ashland Blazer, Belfry, Johnson Cent, Lawrence, Letcher Co Cent, McCreary Cent, Perry Cent, Prestonsburg, Sheldon Clark, Wayne, Whitley. Same as current.

There is not much that can be done to break up WKY region, NKY region, and EKY region. These regions are challenged geographically. It is hard to add or take away teams from these regions. Currently Louisville has aligned terribly. New Region 6 is bit more spread out than these teams are used to, but I do not think they will complain too much. New region 2 has added a few teams. New region 7 is Lexington plus schools on eastern side of Fayette Co.

Let me know if I left any teams off. Or if there are complaints, arguements or agreements. I know that you will.

There are 12 teams in region 8.  You left out Pike Central.  You make that 3 and 1/2 hour bus trip one way that are kids made last week-end and see if you are still in favor of region 8 as it is now.

I don't think KCD will have a team in a year or 2 when Hendren graduates so that will leave Eastern Jefferson with 8 teams and Western Jefferson with 12.  Also, I believe you omitted Trigg Co. from Region 1 and I didn't know Barren County had a team.

I think your ideas are headed in the right direction.  The regions definitely need to be realigned....if for nothing else to even out the number of teams in each region.  This is a good start.  What needs to be done to make sure KHSAA looks into the unbalanced number of teams in each region??

I propose the following. Just from years of having to drive from tournaments across the state. If we do not go back to district/region/state format. Realign as follows:

Reg 1: WKY (11 teams) Apollo, Caldwell, Calloway, Christian, Daviess, Ft Campbell, Hopkinsville, Ohio, Pad. Tighlman, Union, UHA. Same as current.

Reg 2: ??? (10 teams) Barren Co, Bullitt Cent, Bullitt East, Central Hardin, Ft Knox, John Hardin, Larue, Meade, Nelson, North Hardin.

Reg 3: Jefferson Co West (12 teams) Central, Desales, Doss, Fairdale, Holy Cross, Iroquois, Manual, PRP, Shawnee, St. X, Valley, Western. Combo of current regions 3/4.

Reg 4: Jefferson Co East (9 teams) Atherton, Eastern, Fern Creek, Jeffersontown, KCD, Moore, Seneca, Southern, Trinity. Combo of current regions 4/5.

Reg 5: NKY (12 teams) Bishop Brossart, Boone, Campbell, Conner, Cooper, Dixie Heights, Holmes, Newport, Ryle, Scott, Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona. Same as current.

Reg 6: Central KY (9 teams) Anderson, Boyle, Danville, Franklin, North Oldham, Oldham, S. Oldham, Woodford, Western Hills. Combo of current regions 2/5/7.

Reg 7: LEX (9 teams) Bourbon, Bryan Station, Harrison, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Madison Cent., Montgomery, Paul L. Dunbar, Tates Creek.

Reg 8: EKY (11 teams) Ashland Blazer, Belfry, Johnson Cent, Lawrence, Letcher Co Cent, McCreary Cent, Perry Cent, Prestonsburg, Sheldon Clark, Wayne, Whitley. Same as current.

There is not much that can be done to break up WKY region, NKY region, and EKY region. These regions are challenged geographically. It is hard to add or take away teams from these regions. Currently Louisville has aligned terribly. New Region 6 is bit more spread out than these teams are used to, but I do not think they will complain too much. New region 2 has added a few teams. New region 7 is Lexington plus schools on eastern side of Fayette Co.

Let me know if I left any teams off. Or if there are complaints, arguements or agreements. I know that you will.

Realignment is coming and will be here for next year if the meeting is held soon enough this spring. If not it will be for the 2011/2012 season.

I like your region set ups and I hope that is the one that passes.

Sorry about omitting Trigg Co, I did not know if they had any participants a region 1 this year. Barren Co I think has a middle/JV school program coached by Luke Pniewski(spelled wrong I think). If KCD drops wrestling most likely leave with 8 teams or move Manual to JC East. Need to keep St X and Trinity apart for participation numbers. Both teams are generally full squads each year.

As far as travel in EKY region. It is unavoidable. Roads are bad, no interstates. I would suggest a central location for the region tournament every year. Same goes for WKY. Apollo and Ohio Co has a long drive to Paducah and Calloway Co.

Realign as follows:

I going to try and give this a shot.  For the most part it looks preety good Boss Man.  I want to start by saying it's never going to be perfect for everyone.  Move Southern from region 4 to region, giving region 3 13 teams officially (a lot of schools in that region do not have full teams and I haven't seen Western wrestle in a long time).  Move the Oldhams (3) to region 4 giving them 11 teams (KCD is done after next year and I haven't seen Atherton wrestle in a long time either).  Move one of the schools from the western end of the Lex region 7 to the Central region 6.  That will leave region 6 with 7 teams and region 7 with 8 teams.  The rest of the regions pretty much have to be the way they are. 

My alternate proposal would be to divide the Louisville regions into 3 regions (including the 3 Oldham teams) and combine what Boss Man has proposed for Region 6 and 7.

My primary goal in this realignment was to keep participation at regions uniform. For example, region 1 there are a total of 11 teams most of which are not full. Typically, have enough for 8 man brackets only. The same is true for every other region in this alignment. Region 6 is probably the only exception, that region would have several weight classes with 16 man brackets.

JC West/JC East concerns: Manual/St X/Southern are the three teams that could be in the shuffle if KCD drops. Most of the teams in both regions are partial squads so it will be different from year to year. Line has to be drawn somewhere and these three are on the line. Arguments, St. X typically a powerhouse in JC with a full squad. Southern, typically a power in region 3 with a full squad. Manual, good team in JC occassionally have a full squad.

And not showing bias toward any region I think the Lexington region has way too many teams in one region currently compared to three Louisville regions who have 3 regions that cannot fill eight man brackets in either. The Lexington area has the best chance for growth as well, i.e. Madison Central Montgomery Co in the past few years, as compared to Louisville programs declining or dropping, i.e. KCD, Atherton, Ballard.  Leave regions with potential for growth viable to add teams. Like Scott Co, Madison Southern, Jessamine Co, George Rogers Clark. Larger schools with potential for adding wrestling. In Louisville potential schools are few and far between.

My alternative for region 6: (7 teams) Oldham, N. Oldham, S. Oldham, Anderson, Franklin, Woodford, Western Hills. Pros vs Cons Easy travel, low participation.

Region 7: (11 teams) Bourbon, Boyle, Bryan Station, Danville, Harrison Co, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Madison Cent, Montgomery, Paul L. Dunbar, Tates Creek. Pros vs cons Easy travel(Danville is 1.5-2 hours from just about everywhere), too many participants(i.e. 16 man brackets).

When looking at the changes in regions I am considering location and competiton.  I think you have to keep the Oldham county schools with the Louisville Region due to there location. 

"The Lexington area has the best chance for growth as well, i.e. Madison Central Montgomery Co in the past few years, as compared to Louisville programs declining or dropping, i.e. KCD, Atherton, Ballard.  Leave regions with potential for growth viable to add teams. Like Scott Co, Madison Southern, Jessamine Co, George Rogers Clark. Larger schools with potential for adding wrestling. In Louisville potential schools are few and far between."

Madison Southern is already preparing to start a team. I'd say that they will be wrestling next season from what I've heard.

Sorry about omitting Trigg Co, I did not know if they had any participants a region 1 this year. Barren Co I think has a middle/JV school program coached by Luke Pniewski(spelled wrong I think). If KCD drops wrestling most likely leave with 8 teams or move Manual to JC East. Need to keep St X and Trinity apart for participation numbers. Both teams are generally full squads each year.

As far as travel in EKY region. It is unavoidable. Roads are bad, no interstates. I would suggest a central location for the region tournament every year. Same goes for WKY. Apollo and Ohio Co has a long drive to Paducah and Calloway Co.

Region 8 gets the shaft in my opinion.  You should not have to travel four hours to compete against someone in your region.  I don't know what the answer is, but when your bus drives through a couple of other regions just to get to yours, something is not right.

I know that travel in EKY is a pain. And that some of the teams have to travel through Lexington to get to the other schools in their region, but there is nothing that can be done about that. Rural schools have it tough and always will. Make the best of what you have. Have region at Wayne one year, then Ashland the next. There is not a good way other than to rotate each year.

I used to have a google map of all the schools with wrestling and their region... I've been working on rebuilding that.

I think the following should be the criteria for alignment (in this order):

1. Geographical Location

3. Even Regional Participation (Team AND total participant count)

4. Potential Growth locations considered

5. Even Regional Competition Level

The reason I put competition level last is because this element can change from year to year

Jenkins high school and Hazard high school. I have only heard from others about Hazard High school but have heard from the AD of Jenkins High school that they will have a team next year.