Sign in to follow this  
hardwork15

state champs

I don't much about the heavy wts. but watching Fern Creeks little guys tonight, really banging it.I will go on record to say all 4 (70,75,82,89) will place this weekend.

My prediction 70 makes it to the semis before getting knocked down to consolations getting no worse than 6th

75 takes it all the way to the house coming out as number 1

82 and 89 both got bad draws - get knocked out in he quarters by the erdman cousins and have to fight back through the consolations to place

Could go the other way but I have Erdman at 82 winning it and if Erdman gets past Lancaster in the semis at 89 he should come out on top.

You never can tell though - this tournament gets much tougher every year.

I agree wristandahalf,the Erdman's will be tough.I give Logan the Edge in a very well balanced weight class.In 89, Elkins is really starting to peak if him and Jake E. win their first match round 2 will be a battle.At 75 the possible match-up between Barton-Scaggs is interesting with both giving Bindner a close match last time.But at 70,Vega has improved more than any first year wrestler I have seen in a long time.i will be shocked if he is not top 4.

70-dont forget about Bryce Sheffer UNION.  Saw him at Middle School duals.  He's is nails.  He lost to Nick Austin in triple overtime, but that was Nicks state. Nick didn't qualify for state because of sickness in regions or we might be talking about him winning it all. I could see Sheffer possibly beating Bourroughs in the semis.  Only seen Vega FERN wrestle once.  WHS98, I know you say Vega's much improved, but I don't see him beating Sheffer.  Maybe he makes a run in the consolations.  I could definately see him placing.  If Vega can hang with the likes of Sheffer and Borroughs then maybe.  I just think experience will pull either Borroughs or Sheffer to the finals.  I say Sheffer because of the strength advantage.  And no, I'm not from Union.

There is also a rumor that Trae Blackwell also may not wrestle . If this is true it will open 96, Blackwell did an excellent job at the high school state tournament, placing in the top 8, good work for a young wrestler :-D

So lets get this straight.

@96 no Blackwell

@103 no Brown, Ervin, and now Belk

@110 no Fauzs

Now I know Brock and Sean never planned on wrestling anyways but seeing that Blackwell and now Belk who is a sure fire state placer isnt wrestling really weakens this tournament.

Blueeyes- I jumped on Harrison's heavyweight bandwaggon after Districts! The kid is tough as nails and i'm guessing he might work out with Harrison's 189 pounder?? If so thats a huge advantage to him come state time.

75 is going to be a lot closer than I think some imagine. Binder is the real deal but so is Scaggs. I heard from several people that the match between Scaggs and Binder at state was the best match at Youth state, and depending who you were rooting for you could make a case that Scaggs "should" have won that match. I was not there so I will no speculate.

82 IS NOT as even as everyone keeps saying. It is really a two horse race between Erdmen and Wiley. Sorry these two will finish 1 and 3 in their weight class. There is good kids throughout the weight calss but these two are ahead of the rest. I will eat my words if i have to.

89 is the weight class that I am most interested in come state. For some reason I see a big shocker coming out of this weight class. To me this seems to be the most wide open class in the tournament.

No one is talking about the boys from 150 on up thou!

I for one, dont know too much about these weight classes but I'm sure some people on here have to.

I would imagine that at 165 the Twenhofel kid would be the favorite. A runner up last year and he has continued to improve definently puts him in elite company at this weight class.

185 I'm only aware of three kids and names have slipped my mind. Its a shame to see what I feel is the state finals in the semi's. I dont know if you can say one is the favorite over the other since Thompson of Conner beat Bluegrass, then the Bluegrass kid took it too Thompson. I have seen Thompson wrestle a ton this year and he is by far the most dominate wrestler in Northern Kentucky. I heard from one of the parents the only match that went a decision this year for Thompson was against the young man from Bluegrass.  Thompson pinned or Tech'd his way through Districts and Regions which should boed well for his confidence come state. If these two meet up it should be a battle come semi's time.

HWt- The big boys! I think this is really a down year for talent in the upper weight classes but none the less I have been most impressed with Harrison County's big boy all year. Super tough and super aggressive, I can see him doing damage at this weight class definently.

96-I like Shirkey's chances at making the finals and meeting either Blackwell if he shows, or Auxier.  If Blackwell doesn't show, I think Shirkey's the favorite in this weight class.  Although I would love to see the Shirkey/Blackwell match-up.

i think justin lampe will win his weight class with a cake walk, i have been working with him the last couple of days and the kid is mean and a beast, i see him walking his way thru state. yea clay brown is tough but man justin is so agressive and gets at it the entire match.

Pinandwin I agree Sheffer has a big chance, and I am not saying Vega will win it but I have not seen a first year kid improve over the season as him.I watch him battle 3 regional champs at higher wts (75,82,89) and he gives them fits at times.I am a big fan of Jake Burroughs and he definately is the favorite but it would not surprise me if it is close.

WOW ridge44 - that is a pretty bold statement.  Are you saying he was taking it to you?  How do you think he would have done at state if he could have been there?

i think justin lampe will win his weight class with a cake walk, i have been working with him the last couple of days and the kid is mean and a beast, i see him walking his way thru state. yea clay brown is tough but man justin is so agressive and gets at it the entire match.

This is justins dad and as complimentary as ridge44 is being I would say his assessment was made without  full knowledge of the competetion.When justin is wrestling well he is hard to beat,but I know some competetive young men who are determined to do it.Everyone have a safe trip and lets make this this tournament finally happen.

This is justins dad and as complimentary as ridge44 is being I would say his assessment was made without  full knowledge of the competetion.When justin is wrestling well he is hard to beat,but I know some competetive young men who are determined to do it.Everyone have a safe trip and lets make this this tournament finally happen.

Workhard, you have a great kid.  I know he will do well.  I am Belks dad, Justin is the kid to beat this year.  I hope in Jon's (Belk)8th grade year, he will be as good as Justin.

WOW ridge44 - that is a pretty bold statement.  Are you saying he was taking it to you?  How do you think he would have done at state if he could have been there?

i think justin would have placed at high school  state, hes just that good

96:

Cant believe no one has mentioned Higgins in this weight class.

I think he will have a very close match with Shirkey for championship, with Higgins winning by a narrow margin.

3rd place match I think Blackwell(if he comes) vs auxier.