Sign in to follow this  
fireplug

STATE DUALS CANCELLED

Due to the weather the duals have been cancelled.

Is this official? We were told a few minutes ago they would let us know by 2:30.  Are you a rep from HC?

I am a coach at Henry Clay and they have been cancelled for sure.  Reason is the various school districts will not allow their teams to travel because of the weather.  Kind of sucks because this is two years in a row.  There's no chance of them being rescheduled because next weekend all the teams have committed to various tournaments and it's not right to just pull out.  Sorry and we hope to see everybody next year.

I don't understand why it just can't be carried on with the schools that are able to get there...if there are only 8, 7 however many it would still be some good matches and at least not cancel it.  Unless of course it's only 2!

Really hate that for the kids and especially feel bad for the Henry Clay staff who has had it cancelled on them two years in a row. Good luck to every team at regions

Trust me we explored a couple of different options with rescheduling and nothing would work.  And we didn't make the call in cancelling it, the Coaches Association made the call because the different districts forbade the teams, and all other athletic teams from traveling.  I don't know the exact number but more than half the teams couldn't come.

bull... terrible luck. two years in a row. ridiculous,  you would think some sort of plan would come into play after last years mishap.  :cry: :x :x :cry:

Here is an option: :|

Both venues at the same place and everyone can see the events.

Have the State Duals that Friday @ Frankfort and go back to having the State Championships a 16 man bracket on Saturday

The facility is already booked. :mrgreen:

it hasnt even started snowing even in south

Wait till between 2-5am when your asleep in bed wrapped up in a blanket dreaming of how your going to win that State Championship :wink:

Also MS State Duals are tomorrow and are NOT cancelled.  Teams from all over the state are travelling without a problem.  Come on, the Lexington area is forecasted to get 1 INCH of snow.  This is ridiculus.

I don't even think ridiculous is the word for it. There needs to be a back up plan you dont see other winter sports cancelling they're state championships. Basketball, nope.  :x :x :x :x :x

Guest cmccoy

I will address this since I was involved in the decision. I would love for the State Duals to have occurred since it is the first time Lafayette has earned a spot in the tournament...but...we have to step away from winning and coaching and do what is right for the safety of all involved. The decision cannot be made at 5:00 AM and risk putting buses on the road in the snow and in the dark. Safety comes first. To all of those wanting to move forward I ask you this. How many getting hurt is OK?

Guest cmccoy

Also, there have been several discussions about a backup plan for future events. I apologize this effects your team and you feel it is ridiculous. It effects my team as well but the right decision was made. Several want to comment on what needs to happen and the mishap here and the mishap there. Again I ask, how many getting injured is OK?

I don't even know if this is possible, but just throwing it out there.  What about remote weigh-ins tonite for the teams and then wrestling starting at 10:30 or 11.  Or just pushing weigh-ins tomorrow back to 10:30?  I am not even involved in it but hate to see it get cancelled especially for Lafayette as has been mentioned, you know how much effort and planning goes into a tournament to see it go away.

i personally understand the safety thing, but for cryin outloud, the MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE DUALS AND JV STATE TOURNAMENT ARE STILL BEING HELD!!!!! there is no snow on the ground, the storm system has been over top of the state for 3 hours now, and all the "bad things" that will cause roads to be bad (ice, sleet, etc...) are south. how has the right decision been made, when there hasn't been anything happen yet to cause concern??? I personally think its pretty pathetic for an event like this to be canceled because of a THREAT of bad weather, but that's just the opinion of someone who has lived here all their life and seen events go on during weather much worse than what is suppossed to happen tonight.

I completely agree with the previous 2 posts.  There are certainly some alternative plans that could be made to ensure safety.  Have remote weigh-ins tonight, delay start tomorrow to re-evaluate.  There might not even be ANY snow or just a dusting.  This seems like a premature decision.  I have heard that some teams are already on the way!

I remember when I was in school (16-20 years ago) and even after when at J-town at least twice a year we would travel from the Louisville area to either lexington (woodford, tates creek) or to Northern Kentucky (holmes, conner) for a tournament or matches and would travel with 2-3 inches of snow on the ground.  I dont ever remember an event being cancelled from snow, sometimes a couple of schools wouldn't show up but I remember us going every time.

I will address this since I was involved in the decision. I would love for the State Duals to have occurred since it is the first time Lafayette has earned a spot in the tournament...but...we have to step away from winning and coaching and do what is right for the safety of all involved. The decision cannot be made at 5:00 AM and risk putting buses on the road in the snow and in the dark. Safety comes first. To all of those wanting to move forward I ask you this. How many getting hurt is OK?

That's an easy one..ZERO

Those of us in JCPS recall the debacle of a few days ago.  School buses become hazardous when they are put on dark roads with frozen precipitation.  We had ten bus related accidents Tuesday morning here in Louisville, with several kids going to the hospital.  As much as I hate to see events cancelled, I wouldn't have been excited to transport other people's children around in any sort of inclement weather.  That's our burden as coaches, and ultimately that is the reason for the decision,  I would think.