Sign in to follow this  
cougars_119

Top 5 best tournys in Kentucky.

I was reading a thread about the Woodford Co. tournament and it got me thinking. What are the top 5 best tourneys in Kentucky?

Lets hear what you guys think.

what about past years of the big east, i heard they use to be pretty stout in competition

The Big East did have some excellent competition in the past -- Trinity, St. X, S. Oldham, Union County, Christian County, a school or two from TN. It's generally been a well-attended and very well-run tourny.

However, Eastern is giving it up, at least for this season. Instead Eastern will host Region 5 Duals that Saturday.

no the conner tournament was that great last year. in the finals for almost every weight class it was woodford and some indiana team.

Ryle wasn't at this tournament.  There were only a handful of teams. 

I am not sure which tournament you are referring to, but Ryle went to the one that was right before regionals last year. 

The tournament I'm referring to was on Jan. 10th last year.  Ryle wasn't there.

1. Dragon--tough, good time in season for a gut check.

2. Five Star--good, but done like the format.

3. W.C.I.--has fallin off lately.

4. Raider Rumble--a little too early in the season.

5. T.C.I.--has improved.

Teams attending Raider Rumble this year:  Grundy, South Dearborn, Trinity, Campbell County, Ryle, Union County, Larue County, John Hardin, Woodford County, South Oldham.  That's like 8 of the top 12 teams in the state, plus 2 of the top teams recently in this event.  Then look at the weight classes (based on my most up to date rankings, which I haven't published yet):

103 - #2 Yenter, #9 Long, #13 Rearic, #14 Hines

112 - #1 Fahy, #2 Paden, #3 Ruschell, #11 Edens

119 - #1 Bradbury, #3 Lacy, #7 Bisenius, #9 Bracco, #10 Orsello, #11 Thomas, #14 Canter

125 - #1 Osborne, #5 Logsdon, #6 Bryant, #7 Hitchings

130 - #1 Palmer, #2 Cox, #3 Hale, #6 McCall, #8 Holtsclaw

135 - #1 Ervin, #2 Krauziewicz, #5 Goodwine, #6 Whitehouse, #9 Lonkard, #14 Hamons

140 - #1 Thomas, #3 Murphy, #9 Roland, #10 Bates, #13 Spahr, #14 Floyd

145 - #1 Shotwell, #2 Ohlmann, #3 Johnson, #7 Bolog, #10 Jones, #12 Hull, #14 Whalen

152 - #6 McCauley, #7 Proctor, #10 Brewer, #11 White, #15 Duzyk

160 - #1 Lee, #4 Coyle, #8 Malito, #11 Buckman

171 - #1 Hitchings, #4 Warren, #7 Mace, #9 Thompson

189 - #2 Ray, #4 Ilg, #6 Dockery, #9 Bohn, #10 Campbell

215 - #2 Newberry, #5 Brown, #7 Brown, #15 Pravasic

285 - #2 Gentry, #6 Frost, #11 Franck

That includes 17 of the 28 (#1 & #2) and 22 of the 42 (#1, #2, & #3).  And that doesn't include any of the studs that Grundy and South Dearborn will bring along.

Yes, it is early in the season and a lot of guys will be out of their weight class, but oh well.  It still has one of the best collections of talent of any tournament in KY.

Three kids from South Dearborn to look for.

125 or maybe 130  Tyler Clark  SQ AT 125 IN 2009 and in 2008 SQ at 119

160 or 171  Jacob Felser

215  Ron Forman

Follow up:  It appears as though Union Co. is going to the Walsh Ironman tournament.  Can someone confirm this?  While I hate to miss out on Union competing at the Ryle tournament, this could be a great opportunity for Caleb Ervin to show his stuff.  The Ironman is no doubt one of the toughest in-season tournaments out there.