Sign in to follow this  
NOHS_wrestling

JV State Tournament?

Hey guys,

Here is a tentative tournament schedule based on last years tourneys. This covers 1/30 through the end of the season. If something is missing you can add it.

1/30 State Duals Henry Clay

1/30 JV/State Tournament Moore

1/30 Danville Invitational Danville

2/06 Cougar Sharkbait Tournament Bullitt Central

2/06 Commodore Classic Perry Central

2/06 HCHS Rumble Harrison County

2/06 Mustang Classic North Oldham

2/06 Valentine Day Classic Dixie Heights

2/06 Cougar Duals Letcher County

2/06 Connor Duals Connor

2/06 Tournament McCreary Central

2/06 Blue/Gray Duals Fort Campbell

2/06 Yellow Jacket Woodford County

2/06 Rumble in the Jungle St. Xavier

2/13 Regionals 8 sites

2/18-20 State Tournament Frankfort Center

hmmm, looks to me like the weekend of state duals is not as busy. Maybe I'm wrong though.

"TAKE something that is good and muddle it in politics instead of thinking of the wrestlers themselves."

Are you referring to the JV state tournament? We did not take it. We created it. 

I see where this argument is going.  And i can see both sides. 

1st many teams don't have a JV coach, therefor can't send kids to both JV State and a varsity tourney.

Thoman thinks that teams don't wrestle on state duals weekend.  (I'm not sure this is true, I know most teams in Nky do on this weekend if they are in the state duals or not)

I would also contend that the teams that do have a JV coach are most likely those that qualify for state duals so they will be able to send kids the next weekend, regardless if their varsity has a tourney or not. (I would also say that the weekend before regional is more often the weekend teams are idle, and not the state dual weekend).

But, just like many other things that happen here in KY.  We take something that is good and muddle it in politics instead of thinking of the wrestlers themselves. 

This is the opinion of GOO

Take it or leave it.  It means very little.

GOO out.

Here is a tentative tournament schedule based on last years tourneys. This covers 1/30 through the end of the season. If something is missing you can add it.

1/30        State Duals            Henry Clay

1/30        JV/State Tournament        Moore

1/30        Danville Invitational        Danville

1/30          Fort Knox Invitational      Fort Knox

2/06        Cougar Sharkbait Tournament  Bullitt Central

2/06        Commodore Classic        Perry Central

2/06          HCHS Rumble        Harrison County

2/06        Mustang Classic        North Oldham

2/06        Valentine Day Classic        Dixie Heights

2/06        Cougar Duals            Letcher County

2/06        Connor Duals            Connor

2/06        Tournament            McCreary Central

2/06        Blue/Gray Duals        Fort Campbell

2/06        Yellow Jacket            Woodford County

2/06        Rumble in the Jungle        St. Xavier

2/13        Regionals            8 sites

2/18-20      State Tournament        Frankfort Center

I believe the Valentive Tourney at dixie is a JV tourney.

many of the nky teams spend that weekend in Ohio.

I was not referring to you taking it.  I was referring to the arguing about it and turning into a negative.  nothing about you thoman.

Ok Grappler. Thank you for the clarification. I may have taken it the wrong way. I mentioned a JV state for quite awhile and finally a bunch of coaches told me to stop talking about it and do it. We think if promoted by the coaches that these JV wrestlers will have something to work for rather then just being back-ups. We thought it would curve the number of younger wrestlers who are quitting because of not a lot of chances to compete.

So coaches please help by mentioning to your younger wrestlers and JV guys that their is something for them at the end of the season as well ;)

Ok Grappler. Thank you for the clarification. I may have taken it the wrong way. I mentioned a JV state for quite awhile and finally a bunch of coaches told me to stop talking about it and do it. We think if promoted by the coaches that these JV wrestlers will have something to work for rather then just being back-ups. We thought it would curve the number of younger wrestlers who are quitting because of not a lot of chances to compete.

So coaches please help by mentioning to your younger wrestlers and JV guys that their is something for them at the end of the season as well ;)

I think this is great and I want to thank you coach for taking the initiative to make this happen.

Coach "T",

I also think that you are doing a great thing for wrestling in the state of Kentucky.  I know it gives my JV wrestlers something to work for.....and in some cases keeps potentially quality wrestlers from quiting the sport.  Being a wrestling "dummy" all year long, who wouldn't want a shot at a "title".

i think all teams from all regions should attend the jv regional and the jv state tournament, usually only alot of louisville teams attend the state tournament, i think it should also be set up alot like the actual state tournament, alot of these jv guys work hard all season to make themselves better, and alot of the jv talent isnt very good, so in response to that make this a bigger tournament than the last few years to make this tournament very competitive for these jv guys, they deserve it  :-)

i think all teams from all regions should attend the jv regional and the jv state tournament, usually only alot of louisville teams attend the state tournament, i think it should also be set up alot like the actual state tournament, alot of these jv guys work hard all season to make themselves better, and alot of the jv talent isnt very good, so in response to that make this a bigger tournament than the last few years to make this tournament very competitive for these jv guys, they deserve it  :-)

Are you gonna win JV state this year?  :-D

The JV state isn't meant to take anything away from any other program or tournament.  The thought was that if it is a light (relatively) weekend that it would allow a time for teams to send jv wrestlers for a shot at something they may not otherwise get to do.  Yea there are tournaments and matches through the year for jv wrestlers but not near as many as the varisty level, so this is something that was brought up as a goal for jv wrestlers to shoot for and to keep them in the sport and not just get 3-4 matches a year and get beat up on in practice all the time by varsity level guys.  We always hope that teams are able to send some kids and coaches with them to do it and have had many teams come.  Of course it would be great to get even more teams involved in it but it is yet another expense the schools would have to burden so that is understood as well.  But we hope to keep getting more kids in it each year and keep them shooting for a goal.  And even though they aren't on the varsity level, it still makes more good matches due to the fact that so many of them are on the same experience level.