Sign in to follow this  
NOHS_wrestling

JV State Tournament?

JV State will be at it's birthplace this year. Moore. It was only at St. X last year because it was postponed because of the ice storm and our gym was in use. It will always be at Moore unless noted otherwise.

JV State will be at it's birthplace this year. Moore. It was only at St. X last year because it was postponed because of the ice storm and our gym was in use. It will always be at Moore unless noted otherwise.

Who died and made u the king of JV State? I think JV State should be at hoops!!!

Who died and made u the king of JV State? I think JV State should be at hoops!!!

you are going to have a wresting tournament at a place called HOOPS?  Are you kidding me?  Why should a place that endorses another sport get the poceeds from a wrestling tourney?  Keep the money in wrestling.

No one died.  Coach Thomas decided to start the JV State Tournament and hold it at Moore High. 

you are going to have a wresting tournament at a place called HOOPS?   Are you kidding me?  Why should a place that endorses another sport get the poceeds from a wrestling tourney?  Keep the money in wrestling.

Hoops is where we have held regions 3,4 and 5 for the past 2 years.  The Metro AD's decided to have them all in the same place.  All of the coaches I have talked to said they do not like it.  But they have to go where the wrestling is.

Hoops is where we have held regions 3,4 and 5 for the past 2 years.  The Metro Ad's decided to have them all in the same place.  All of the coaches I have talked to said they do not like it.  But they have to go where the wrestling is.

WOW. Can anyone spell Stuuuupiiiidddd.  Thats S. T.  U.  P.  I.  D.

Why would the Ad's give up the money that a regional tourney brings in? 

What does the schools get out of this?  Door money?  Concessions? Shirt sales?  dumb, dumb, dumb. 

I am amazed that they could get ALL the Ad's/Schools to endorse this. 

It is a big misconception of how much money is made at region because some regions split the profit.  I can remember in the past getting a check for maybe $125 and in some years owing.  The only thing you honestly get is concessions and possibly t- shirt sales.  Whether they are ballooning the cost or what it is what it is.  The head Ad is wanting to get every regional tournament in one central location for each sport.  He may feel as if it will build support of the sport and more people can watch different schools.  I like it at different schools but I also have to follow directions.  Region this year will not be at Hoops but back at the schools.  It will be up to your ad whether to take it or pass it on to the next school in rotation.  Believe it or not the coaches honestly have no say so in the matter.  It is up to our bosses. :cry:

I dont know about king but originator of the thing must count for something.  The thing may not exist had thomas not created it in the first place.  I would think they would get first choice at this then if they did not want it then I could see moving it. 

Admission to the tourney is minimal that is correct.

But a well run concession can and has made decent money.  200-300 profit is well worth the hassle.

That with being able to hold the tourney at your school to help with exposure at your own school is priceless.  Many schools need this exposure to help build their program.

Yes it is very stup....I don't think there is actually a single coach that agrees with it and i don't think there are many AD's that agree with it either, but the Head athletics guy and his right hand person think it is a good idea and good for the sport.  Kinda weird considering all the people who are against it and don't think it is a good idea but they do what they want to do.  And I am sure everyone on here who has been to one the last two years will agree it is not as good as at the high schools, but what can you do?  i gave a couple suggestions last year but kinda got scolded for it for not a good reason.  But that's another topic.

WOW. Can anyone spell Stuuuupiiiidddd.  Thats S. T.  U.  P.  I.  D.

Why would the Ad's give up the money that a regional tourney brings in? 

What does the schools get out of this?  Door money?  Concessions? Shirt sales?  dumb, dumb, dumb. 

I am amazed that they could get ALL the Ad's/Schools to endorse this. 

Does anyone else think the date of the JV tournament should be moved?  Part of the fun of state duals is being able to weigh in quality JV wrestlers who might be able to help the team out.  Duals can be won by substituting a quality JV wrestler and bumping someone up a weight.  By having JV states on the same day you lessen the impact of being able to do that.  How about JV state on the weekend between state duals and regionals?  Most teams just do a small tournament to rest up for regionals that weekend anyway.

Does anyone else think the date of the JV tournament should be moved?  Part of the fun of state duals is being able to weigh in quality JV wrestlers who might be able to help the team out.  Duals can be won by substituting a quality JV wrestler and bumping someone up a weight.  By having JV states on the same day you lessen the impact of being able to do that.  How about JV state on the weekend between state duals and regionals?  Most teams just do a small tournament to rest up for regionals that weekend anyway.

I agree with you. Thats a good point you brought up.  :-)

It can also penalize or at least deprive that quality JV of his shot as a JV champ should his coach need him at the State Duals. I think he has hit on something here. What say you, Thoman?

I say that only 16 teams were usually competing on this date with not a lot of other activity going on. Thats why this date was chosen rather then a date where everyone is everywhere and participation would be small.

The date before regionals might be ok but we go to a tournament and I couldn't host JV state while sending my team to a tournament. We use a lot of parents and wrestlers to run the tournament.

Could another school host JV states?  Coach I know you use that tournament to make money for your program and I appreciate that however could an arrangement be worked out somehow where another school hosts it?

The weekend of state duals you have 16 teams participating there and not a whole lot going on elsewhere. The following weekend you have probably atleast 40 teams competing. some of those guys are JV wrestlers just filling varsity spots and not everyone has a ton of coaches to send some to jv state then some to other tournaments. It sucks for those teams at state duals I suppose but it would seem that it would penalize way more kids and coaches if it were on another busier weekend.

just my thoughts

I've heard that there are several tournaments throughout the state on the weekend of state duals.  The JV kids season is over after the JV state tournament.  Personally that weekend my focus would be more on my JV's than the varsity wrestlers.  After all they have put in a season of hard work just like the varsity wrestlers.  If I was a head coach I might even not schedule anything that weekend to give the kids a rest.  Of course this is assuming that we are one of the teams competing at state duals, which I think we will.

I say that only 16 teams were usually competing on this date with not a lot of other activity going on. Thats why this date was chosen rather then a date where everyone is everywhere and participation would be small.

The date before regionals might be ok but we go to a tournament and I couldn't host JV state while sending my team to a tournament. We use a lot of parents and wrestlers to run the tournament.

That is reasonable. However, are you going to still feel that way when Moore qualifies for the Duals?

Yes we will when it happens..hopefully we will still have enough coaches and fan support to be able to do it.  It just seems like the best weekend of the choices that are out there

That is reasonable. However, are you going to still feel that way when Moore qualifies for the Duals?

I see where this argument is going.  And i can see both sides. 

1st many teams don't have a JV coach, therefor can't send kids to both JV State and a varsity tourney.

Thoman thinks that teams don't wrestle on state duals weekend.  (I'm not sure this is true, I know most teams in Nky do on this weekend if they are in the state duals or not)

I would also contend that the teams that do have a JV coach are most likely those that qualify for state duals so they will be able to send kids the next weekend, regardless if their varsity has a tourney or not. (I would also say that the weekend before regional is more often the weekend teams are idle, and not the state dual weekend).

But, just like many other things that happen here in KY.  We take something that is good and muddle it in politics instead of thinking of the wrestlers themselves. 

This is the opinion of GOO

Take it or leave it.  It means very little.

GOO out.