Sign in to follow this  
moosenuckle

What is the Worst Habits to avoid for HS wrestlers

For the most part probably not continuing to wrestle in all positions.  Don't give up a score just because you're on your butt; always continue to scramble no matter what, especially in practice.  It's partly an intensity thing that most high school wrestlers just don't have.

Not drilling properly and often enough.  Most kids want to learn new flashy technique that has a very low success rate.  In my opinion they should be drilling the basics so when it is match time they don't have to think, they just react.  Who cares if you know every wrestling move ever created if you can't do them when it counts.  I hear kids all the time walking off the mat saying "oh yea I forgot" after losing a match. 

Very true!  John Smith used to drill his shot something like 10000 times a week so he could shave that extra 1/100000 of a second of and be better at it than anyone else and quick enough not to be defended against.  Not to mention that college wrestlers use the basics.  They are what works.  Sometimes using a move that isn't expected is also good, but college coaches look for wrestlers that can consistently use the basics well.

Tom Ryan (Ohio State Coach) said that one of the worst things for high schoolers to do is tie up all the time. And another thing is if you are going to tie up go head to head instead of ear to ear because "your head is your first wall of defense." and if you tie up actually try to set up takedowns from there

Ear to ear makes you equals and you should always be looking for the advantage.  Thus, ear to ear isn't good.  Not to mention that those that tie up and go ear to ear typically dance for a while.  Takedowns should be set up and taken advantage of within every 15 sec. interval of on the feet wrestling.  However, I disagree with forehead to forehead, that also gives the opponent the same advantage. An underhook with your forehead to their temple is a better solution, not to mention it hurts if you squeeze their head a little.

Being ear to ear limits your offense and defense as Dinubus said.  It's counter productive and frankly it is very boring to watch.  Wrestlers should be looking for openings through angles and level changes by using set-ups.  Not a lot of Kentucky wrestlers work an opponents head like they should.  I also agree that down blocking is a great defense and I can only hope to see that type of basic wrestling being taught and practiced in KY.

lots of kids don't have good hand fighting technic. they need to hand fight in to set up there shots. also, they need to move their opponent. lots of begginers and some more experienced dive in on shots. alot of big time coaches are big on hand fighting technic and set ups.