bluegrassbrawler

Best wrestler never to win a state championship?

True, however my team back in the day always displayed good sportsmanship.  And so did most of the teams in our district.  Even as teenagers, those traits should be important.  I coach middle school, assist with high school, and also coach freestyle and greco.  And all of my wrestlers shake the opposing coaches' hands after matches.  There's no kicking furniture, profanity, or throwing things after matches.  It shows a lack of class for the wrestler, the coaches, and the school.  Granted, I didn't see much of this in Western KY, and I could count on one hand the times it did happen.  But it lasts for years.  Again, kudos to Coach Smith and the job he's doing.  Christian County was a strong program during the late 80's and early 90's and Hoptown was a monster back then.   

Brian Branson was, by far, the best wrestler in the state his senior year.  He was actually ranked #1 the year i won state.  He manhandled all of us at every tournament up to that point.  I had 8 losses that year in KY--four from him.  The others were divided equally between the same two guys in our region/district.  So the same four guys from our region took 1, 2, 4, and 6 in state.  Brian didn't lose to anyone of them that year and every tournament we went to one of the others of us would beat each other and meet Brian in the finals.  So Brian was actually undefeated that year--and would have likely stayed so.  I've never wrestled someone with such natural balance and raw strength. 

Giorgio Hiatt, the guy who won state that year.

Brian Branson was, by far, the best wrestler in the state his senior year.  He was actually ranked #1 the year i won state.  He manhandled all of us at every tournament up to that point.  I had 8 losses that year in KY--four from him.  The others were divided equally between the same two guys in our region/district.  So the same four guys from our region took 1, 2, 4, and 6 in state.  Brian didn't lose to anyone of them that year and every tournament we went to one of the others of us would beat each other and meet Brian in the finals.  So Brian was actually undefeated that year--and would have likely stayed so.  I've never wrestled someone with such natural balance and raw strength. 

Didnt you wrestle for Fort Campbell?

Thanks for the response Giorgio, I remember you were always a class act and respected in the district. 

Very good, maybe he can teach the his kids the perception about throwing headgear after a loss.  lol

That must have been the match where Jason Johnston of Caldwell County caught him in a cradle and pinned him.  They probably would have met again in the Regional Finals, had Anthony made weight.

This thread had been going on forever.  I will still stand by the two who are from the past.  Those of you who are old grapplers like myself may recognize these names.

1990-1993  Deon Washington (Woodford Co.)  1990 4th at HWT. 1991, 1992, 1993 2nd place (HWT)

1983-1987  John Poindexter (Hopkinsville)  1983 state qualifier (98)  1984 5th (105) 1985 2nd (112) 1986 3rd (119) 1987 2nd (132)

This thread had been going on forever.  I will still stand by the two who are from the past.  Those of you who are old grapplers like myself may recognize these names.

1990-1993  Deon Washington (Woodford Co.)  1990 4th at HWT. 1991, 1992, 1993 2nd place (HWT)

1983-1987  John Poindexter (Hopkinsville)  1983 state qualifier (98)  1984 5th (105) 1985 2nd (112) 1986 3rd (119) 1987 2nd (132)

Oh I remember Deon.  They came down to our cracker jack box gym for a dual and I'll never forget watching him run to make weight.  A freshman heavyweight running to make weight.  He was darn tough.

Thanks for the response Giorgio, I remember you were always a class act and respected in the district.

Fort Campbell was a beast back in the 70s and early 80s. They were competitive in the 90s.. But not anywhere near Hoptown and Christian County.

Id say the best wrestler I have seen at Fort Campbell to not win state are: Both Campbell brothers, Nate Johnson, Matt Mines, Buttranger (had so much potential but was lazy) Zach Rhinestine and one who should of placed but got screwed by the body fat testing, Robbie Sahms from this past year.

I know of some guys from the early 90s but I can not remember names. I have watched old film from districts of some awesome guys from Western KY.

Fort Campbell was a beast back in the 70s and early 80s. They were competitive in the 90s.. But not anywhere near Hoptown and Christian County.

Id say the best wrestler I have seen at Fort Campbell to not win state are: Both Campbell brothers, Nate Johnson, Matt Mines, Buttranger (had so much potential but was lazy) Zach Rhinestine and one who should of placed but got screwed by the body fat testing, Robbie Sahms from this past year.

I know of some guys from the early 90s but I can not remember names. I have watched old film from districts of some awesome guys from Western KY.

Dont forget Alan Johnson, he was more lazy then Zack though and neither Johnson brother wrestled their senior year

Actually neither of the younger Johnson brothers could hold a candle to their older brother Pascal, who did actually wrestle all four years rather than quit when the going to tough. Pascal did finish 6th at 171 in 2000. His biggest achievement next to placing was lasting the longest against the eventual champion George King of Union County. He lasted 1:59. No one else who wrestled King that weekend lasted longer :49 seconds. Fort Campbell has had some tough wrestlers. The most recent being  Dwayne Martin 2nd at 119 in 2004, and Matt Mines 2nd at 135 in 2006.