Sign in to follow this  
McCreary189215

Weights

if your talking about trying to keep your weight down so you can make a lower weight class next year i think its a great idea.

if you mean cutting weight like you do during the regular season i dont think it is worth it cause if your deyhdrated and starving yourself like some wrestlers cut weight and your doing that year round your body wont be able to take that much punishment and you will lose alot of muscle mass.

Don't cut weight, lose any excess weight but dont cut for the sake of cutting to get to a lower weight class, it will only make you weaker and miserable. Get strong, lean and mean and wrestle your normal weight.

As a coach I don't tell me wrestlers to worry about weight as much in the off season.  If you have a work out plan and eat right your weight will do what it is supposed to do.  Depending on where you want to be next year, it is best and healthy to stay about 5 pounds fom where you want to be for the season.  A guy on our team cut 30 lbs from the start of the summer to the start of the season.  I told him to lay off of the fast foods and do more running and that is what he did.

In the off season, it isn't the time to just eat a bunch of junk and do nothing, but if you have a hankering after eating the right foods all season for something special, eat it.  Your body probably needs it for some reason, that is why there is a crave.  I think it is silly to "watch your weight" in the off season.  The body of a high school wrestler should grow and if you are doing the right things like weight lifting, running, swimming, keeping active, joining other sports, etc... your body should be putting on muscle.  Eat what you want (within limits) and be very active and have fun in the off season, then when you get back to season, start working out wrestling style and lose off the extra weight, you can start looking at your best weight class.  I would use the fat test to decide.  (Under 9%, go where the fat test tells you / the closest weight class lower, 9-15% and you might want to look at 2-3 weight classes depending on teh spread and time restrictions.)

When im looking to lose some fat in the off season i ussually just cut back on sugars and simple carbs and try to eliminate some saturated fat. I try not to eat or drinks things with trans fat or high fructose corn syrup in them. Try not to eat fast food obviously. Also i try to eat things that can help speed up metabolisms like spicy foods and things with B vitamins in them. Working out can help alot but try to do strength training before you do cardio workouts because that causes your body to use fat as energy while doing your cardio. Last but not least use your common sense.

thanks people!but keep it comin  :-D

ill try some of this yea my team captain said off season cutters are usually wore out and drained when its wrestling season so im not gonna do that

but thanks to everyone who is giving great weight loss routines.

I have to agree with Jacketcoach and the honorable Coach Smith

3 main points to offseason weight maintenance

1. Diet-Look at the link provided by Coach Smith and add aspects of your personality-off season partying and binge eating would be your downfall.  Empty calories kill!

2. Lifting-essential to not only maintaining strength, but also muscle memory and fat storage...if you stop lifting your muscle starts being converted to fat or just simply breaking down.

3. Running/Cardio-you've got to maintain your stamina, same logic and knowledge of lifting, but relative to your lungs and blood circulation

Stay active, stay smart, and stay focused...but remember its called the offseason for a reason. At your age, the body most certainly needs time to rest and rejuvenate.  Wrestling is a  very demanding and taxing sport on the body.  Continue to wrestle, but lower the intensity someway

Hope this helps, just from another coach offering his opinion

I think this is a great thread and the link sums it up perfectly, but Packattack I need to point out a slight mistake.

if you stop lifting your muscle starts being converted to fat or just simply breaking down

If you stop lifting you lose muscle tone, which in reality means that you are not using as many of your muscle fibers. Muscle is never converted to fat. You are born with all the fat cells and muscle fibers that you will ever have. Fat cells expand as sugars and carbs are stored. Muscle fibers lay dormant until needed for use. When you lift weights your body will need more fibers to lift more weight, that is how your muscles "grow". If you lift for endurance then you may not need to use more muscle fibers, but your body will learn the use the same ones more efficiently. The result is muscle tone. If you lift for bulk then your body will have to use more fibers and you will see more size gains such as larger biceps, triceps or quads.

I hope everyone has a great summer and comes into practice in great shape! 

I think this is a great thread and the link sums it up perfectly, but Packattack I need to point out a slight mistake.

if you stop lifting your muscle starts being converted to fat or just simply breaking down

If you stop lifting you lose muscle tone, which in reality means that you are not using as many of your muscle fibers. Muscle is never converted to fat. You are born with all the fat cells and muscle fibers that you will ever have. Fat cells expand as sugars and carbs are stored. Muscle fibers lay dormant until needed for use. When you lift weights your body will need more fibers to lift more weight, that is how your muscles "grow". If you lift for endurance then you may not need to use more muscle fibers, but your body will learn the use the same ones more efficiently. The result is muscle tone. If you lift for bulk then your body will have to use more fibers and you will see more size gains such as larger biceps, triceps or quads.

I hope everyone has a great summer and comes into practice in great shape! 

No sarcasm at all, thanks for clearing up the point I was trying to make.