Sign in to follow this  
TigerCoach

Fern Creek Derby Classic

Just wanted to let everyone know the plan for this weekend.  We will not take pre-registration in hopes that there will be no "lost" paperwork and everyone will get entered in the tournament.  We will do remote weigh ins.  Right now Meade Co. is doing one on Friday from 5-7, Cobra Wrestling is doing one Thursday from 5-7 and we will have one at Fern Creek from 5-7 on Friday.  We will start weigh ins at 8 Saturday morning and registration will end at 9 a.m.  You should have your USAW card, $10 and a registration form (you can get them at the tournament) the morning of the tournament.  IF YOU ARE GOING TO PAY AS A GROUP YOU NEED TO SHOW UP AS A GROUP. We had some kids show up before their coach and had to pay again.  (They had to get a refund from their coach.) I hope to get started by 10:30 if not earlier.

We will have 4 mats. Mat 1- Bantam and Intermediate, Mat 2- Novice and Schoolboy, Mat 3- Cadet and Open (121-145.5) and Mat 4- Junior and Open (154-264.5).  You will need to stay by the mat you are assigned to and listen for your name.  We will finish all regular matches and give out medals before we do ANY exhibition matches.  I want everyone to get matches in but I want the matches that count to be done first.

This went pretty smooth last year and I hope it works well again this year.  Post any questions you have here and I will try to answer them as soon as possible.  Good luck and I hope to see you Saturday.

wat mat will 103 be at?

The mats are split up by division not weight.  If you are wrestling Cadet you will be on mat 3.  If you are wrestling Junior, you will be on mat 4.

Will you combine any weight classes or age divisions?  If so, what will be the minimum number of wrestlers in a pool/bracket before you decide to combine them?  I know most kids would rather see a combined bracket of at least 8 or 10 than a 3 wrestler pool.  Hanging around all day to wrestle one or two matches is what turns a lot of kids sour on summer tournaments.  I do realize that there are rules that you have to go by though.  Thanks.

Will you combine any weight classes or age divisions?  If so, what will be the minimum number of wrestlers in a pool/bracket before you decide to combine them?  I know most kids would rather see a combined bracket of at least 8 or 10 than a 3 wrestler pool.  Hanging around all day to wrestle one or two matches is what turns a lot of kids sour on summer tournaments.  I do realize that there are rules that you have to go by though.  Thanks.

The way I understand it, and hopefully Keith can help me out, you can not go up a division but you can go up one weight class.  If you register at Cadet you will only wrestle Cadet during the tournament.  We have always allowed exhibitions within one weight class and one division as long as both parties agree.  YOU set up those matches and we will score them after the regular matches are complete.  You can get as many matches as you can set up.  Hopefully we will have enough in each weight class but there are always a few that end up by themselves and we try to combine them with another weight as long as its close. I don't have a minimum # of people in a pool.  I know that last year we had some with 2 or 3 in their round robin and they got another 4 or 5 exhibitions. 

More remote weigh ins:

Danville, KY- Contact David- 859-329-1339

Dayton, OH- Contact Randy Logsdon- 513-505-6092

North Hardin- Contact Keith Smith- Friday 5-7

Are most of the participants from in state?

Also I know it's hard to predict, but how many wrestlers do you think there will be on average for each weight class?

Will there be a hospitality room for coaches?  Just kidding, I thought you might need a good elbow in the ribs today.

This is hilarious!!  I think we will have steak and shrimp on the 2nd floor above the ROTC room.  And before some of you guys go looking, there is no 2nd floor!

Are most of the participants from in state?

Also I know it's hard to predict, but how many wrestlers do you think there will be on average for each weight class?

Most participants are from in state.  I have gotten emails from about 6 juniors and 2 cadets that plan on coming from Ohio.  Other than that we will have to see the morning of.  I wish there was a way to know who was coming but that's just the way these off season tournaments go.  We had about 120 wrestlers last year and I am hoping the numbers go up a little each year.

Sorry... I meant any OLD GUYS gonna wrestle in the open division???

What weight class are you going to be in?  I know JTowns assistant coach and Doss' head coach will be in the 165 range.  I have gotten a lot of emails about the open division.

This is hilarious!!  I think we will have steak and shrimp on the 2nd floor above the ROTC room.  And before some of you guys go looking, there is no 2nd floor!

Most participants are from in state.  I have gotten emails from about 6 juniors and 2 cadets that plan on coming from Ohio.  Other than that we will have to see the morning of.  I wish there was a way to know who was coming but that's just the way these off season tournaments go.  We had about 120 wrestlers last year and I am hoping the numbers go up a little each year.

Alright cool. Cause Im pretty sure TofC is going on this weekend also, so I didn't really know what kind of turn out this will have.

What weight class are you going to be in?  I know JTowns assistant coach and Doss' head coach will be in the 165 range.  I have gotten a lot of emails about the open division.

i walk around about 152 so I guess 154