Sign in to follow this  
The Bear

Caleb Ervin

Yes, he has been talked about enough, not to mention that he would probably also have a thread like this if he competed in the Freshman Nationals and did as well as Caleb did in the Sophomore Nationals.

just wait until next year. If I were wrestling in highschool ky state next year I would not want to be in calebs way to mow, no matter who I was.

No need to jump up and defend your buddy or whatever, noone here is bashing him, or anything. Lol theres really no reason to wait until next year. He's done plenty this year.

If he does produce the same numbers as he did this year, three more years, and does well in college, then I will consider him without a doubt the best to ever come out of Kentucky. But lets wait and see what happens. Lets no be too quick with the best ever talks. BTW, has everyone forgot about Harrison Courtney? He got screwed in the semi-finals against the eventual national champion (who won by a major) on a peterson at the last second. It seems like everyone has forgotten about him.

It will be interesting to see if this win propels Caleb into some national rankings.

Are we forgetting about John Fahy, state champ his freshman year. Nationally ranked.

i would take a state runner up at the 130 weight class, over a state championship at the 103 weight class any day. call me crazy, but thats far more impressive in my opinion, unless 103 was more stacked, like it was the last couple years.

It will be interesting to see if this win propels Caleb into some national rankings.

Caleb was already ranked Nationally amongst the best Freshman/Sophomores in the Country. He should move up in the rankings after his performance at Nationals. He might even crack the "All Class" Rankings. Caleb is a great kid and it was fun watching him wrestle at Nationals Congratulations to Caleb and Coach Ervin on a great sophomore year. 

http://www.wrestlingusa.com/02%20wusa%20web%20root/highschoolbest/2008HighSchoolSoFrRankings.html

Sorry I was referring to the ALL CLASS RANKINGS.  For some reason it doesn't seem that the NHSCA National Tournaments have much of an impact on these.  We have had guys in previous years do well but never seem to get recognized.

He can be the most dominant, but I don't think that anyone would really consider him as such, because he can only win 3 state championships max.

Won't consider him as much???? Your joking right? Every heard of Kyle Ruschell ya he must not be much at all being a 2x state champ and all.

Won't consider him as much???? Your joking right? Every heard of Kyle Ruschell ya he must not be much at all being a 2x state champ and all.

re-read your quote there Bear.  He said people won't consider him as "such", not as "much".  I don't think he was slamming him.  Just stating that because he won't be a 4xer that people won't consider him the most dominant wrestler to come out of this state.  I don't think people would say that about Kyle for his h.s. career either.  But I think when you look at Kyle's entire career he should be known as one of the most accomplished wrestlers from this state if not the most accomplished.  Wrestlers peak at different times.  Kyle definitely hit his stride his senior year and hasn't looked back.

Anyhow, back to Caleb.  Caleb is the man.  I think people underestimated him a bit as a freshman until he made the finals.  But going 62-0 as a sophomore and rolling through the state, and now with the performance at nationals.  He's on everyone's radar.  I agree with you though, if he stays healthy he will be remembered as one of the best.  I did not know he did not give up a takedown all year.  That's insane.

I agree.. 62-0 and not giving up a takedown all year... pinning his way to the finals at the National...  All while in the 10th grade.. 2 more years of those stats and you whould have no choice but to say he is one of if not the BEST

I thought he gave up takedowns at the Ryle and Central Hardin Duals

I thought he gave up takedowns at the Ryle and Central Hardin Duals

I thought the same thing.  I thought he gave up a takedown in the finals at Ryle, but it might have been a reversal.  Or it could just be my bad memory.  Whoever the kid was, i remember it didn't end up a close match.

Sorry I was referring to the ALL CLASS RANKINGS.  For some reason it doesn't seem that the NHSCA National Tournaments have much of an impact on these.  We have had guys in previous years do well but never seem to get recognized.

I think Caleb deserves to be in the All Class rankings especially after his performance at Virginia Beach.  The problem is that not many of the highly ranked kids attend this tournament.  From my experience the guys who do the national rankings primarily look at head-to-head match ups with other ranked kids.

They really focus on a few primary tournaments and the Virginia Beach Nationals doesn't seem to get much respect from them.  I would say that the number one tournament for national all-class rankings is Fargo.  After that it is probably a combination of Beast of the East, Ironman, and Super 32.  There are some others as well such as the Powerade in PA, 5-Counties on the west coast, and Disney Duals.  But even in these what really matters is individual match ups with other ranked wrestlers.  In the three national tournaments that John placed at this year (Cliff Keen, Beast, and Super32) he ended up wrestling 8 kids in the USA wrestling All Class top 30 plus another 3 in the Fresh/Soph rankings.  In the USA rankings every kid he beat he moved above and every kid he lost to he stayed below.  So I guess the answer is simple, if you want to get in the national all-class rankings you just have to beat somebody that is already in them.  Unless you are from a state like Ohio or Pennsylvania it really doesn't matter what your record is our whether or not you win state.

The kid Caleb beat in the finals is currently ranked 30th in the all-class so I would think that should move him up above him.  The big opportunity will be this summer at Fargo where there will be a lot of the top kids competing and Caleb has a strong showing.  I definitely see Caleb placing at these tournaments and getting some national recognition.

i would take a state runner up at the 130 weight class, over a state championship at the 103 weight class any day. call me crazy, but thats far more impressive in my opinion, unless 103 was more stacked, like it was the last couple years.

I'm glad you added the second sentence, because 103 can be a quite impressive weight class.  Not all states have mainly freshman and 8th graders occupying the weight class.  I know that in the state I grew up, most of the wrestlers at 103 were sophomores or higher, and you hardly ever found someone place at 103 that wasn't at least a junior.

I'm glad you added the second sentence, because 103 can be a quite impressive weight class.  Not all states have mainly freshman and 8th graders occupying the weight class.  I know that in the state I grew up, most of the wrestlers at 103 were sophomores or higher, and you hardly ever found someone place at 103 that wasn't at least a junior.

Yeah out of the state of KY..alot of the 103s are in high school making the cut from 120+ down to 103...KY wrestlers do not cut weight at all

I think Caleb deserves to be in the All Class rankings especially after his performance at Virginia Beach.  The problem is that not many of the highly ranked kids attend this tournament.  From my experience the guys who do the national rankings primarily look at head-to-head match ups with other ranked kids.

They really focus on a few primary tournaments and the Virginia Beach Nationals doesn't seem to get much respect from them.  I would say that the number one tournament for national all-class rankings is Fargo.  After that it is probably a combination of Beast of the East, Ironman, and Super 32.  There are some others as well such as the Powerade in PA, 5-Counties on the west coast, and Disney Duals.  But even in these what really matters is individual match ups with other ranked wrestlers.  In the three national tournaments that John placed at this year (Cliff Keen, Beast, and Super32) he ended up wrestling 8 kids in the USA wrestling All Class top 30 plus another 3 in the Fresh/Soph rankings.  In the USA rankings every kid he beat he moved above and every kid he lost to he stayed below.  So I guess the answer is simple, if you want to get in the national all-class rankings you just have to beat somebody that is already in them.  Unless you are from a state like Ohio or Pennsylvania it really doesn't matter what your record is our whether or not you win state.

The kid Caleb beat in the finals is currently ranked 30th in the all-class so I would think that should move him up above him.  The big opportunity will be this summer at Fargo where there will be a lot of the top kids competing and Caleb has a strong showing.  I definitely see Caleb placing at these tournaments and getting some national recognition.

Here it is from the source himself (below):

Editor

but as far as kentucky goes, 103 is normally a fairly weak weight class, with few upperclassman.

I thought the same thing.  I thought he gave up a takedown in the finals at Ryle, but it might have been a reversal.  Or it could just be my bad memory.  Whoever the kid was, i remember it didn't end up a close match.

I believe the match you are talking about at Ryle is against the Grundy kid. If I remember right Aaron Carr lost then the next match on that mat was Ervin. I dont remember him giving up a takedown in that match

but as far as kentucky goes, 103 is normally a fairly weak weight class, with few upperclassman.

Not in 05 it wasn't lol. Back when I wrestled it.