Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

NCAA's!

It saddens me to be writing this because I was huge Iowa fan. I will now refer to myself as a Dan Gable fan. Intense does not have to = a$$hole.

Brent Metcalf could have set our sport back 10 years. Ever since Brands went back to Iowa there has been a steady decline of how Iowa endears itself to the wrestling community. Remember, the reason that Metcalf's action resulted in a team deduction is because of earlier warnings to the Iowa coaching staff. Be thankful that his punk move didn't send Caldwell off the raised mat and leave him with a serious injury. In Brands TV interviews he seemed like a bi-polar meth addict. While Gable was coaching the Hawkeyes no one behave in an unsportsmanlike manner. Except for 2, the Brands brothers.

With the legacy of  Gable coaches spread around the country, I don't understand why they would chose brands to captain the mother ship.

This has always been the Iowa style.  They are there to beat the crap out of you.  Even if they loose, it is drilled into their brain.  Metcalf exemplified this when he said in an interview something like "I wasn't trying to shove him.  If I was, then I would have shoved him off the platform."

This has always been the Iowa style.  They are there to beat the crap out of you.  Even if they loose, it is drilled into their brain.  Metcalf exemplified this when he said in an interview something like "I wasn't trying to shove him.  If I was, then I would have shoved him off the platform."

That's a great point, he didn't really shove him that hard at all, I'm sure Caldwell would've went flying if he intentionally tried to.

It's funny I just watched the interview with Caldwell and he said he probably would've done the same thing "not intentionally" if he were in that postition. Caldwell is a great guy hope to see both him and Metcalf do well in the open. Possibly a rematch? :evil: He also said he would take a year off and bump up weight classes anyone know what he's planning on doing?

It doesn't matter where I'm from, just about everyone in the state hates Woodford so I could be from anywhere but Versailes.

i disagree, i mean obviously, but really. just about everyone in the state? you know i bet you are either a parent or Alumni of another school. i say this because just about every wrestler i ask if he hates wofo, 100% of them have said no we actually like you guys. and it only seems to be parents or alumni that are complaining. please lets not argue, im not trying to fight with anybody nemore, Olympic wish has taken the joy away from me haha, so im just trying to be nice and let everybody know that this site has nothing to do with my carrer, my team, nething about wrestling really. nothing on this site is going to change how im going to perform. and if thats not the truth, the bible is as good as a comic book. yea thats my own analogy haha.

Iowa style means relentless constant pressure. If I can't out wrestle you, I'll out condition you is Iowa. You may be smarter, stronger and have more technique but, you will not outwork the Hawkeyes. It is not trying to bully a referee, jumping up and down when calls don't go your way or, flipping off fans from an opposing team as Brands has done. It would be logical to think Metcalf's reaction and poor sportsmanship is an extension of that behavior.

Iowa style means relentless constant pressure. If I can't out wrestle you, I'll out condition you is Iowa. You may be smarter, stronger and have more technique but, you will not outwork the Hawkeyes. It is not trying to bully a referee, jumping up and down when calls don't go your way or, flipping off fans from an opposing team as Brands has done. It would be logical to think Metcalf's reaction and poor sportsmanship is an extension of that behavior.

I remember you said you were a fan of Gable but not Brands because Brands does such things as jump around or flip people off. I found this video of Dan Gable on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjBRpmraIHk

I have never really disliked the Brands, or their style of wrestling.  I remember when Tom Brands was outcasted for not leaving Team Fox Catcher when the DuPont guy shot Dave Schultz.  I think Brands deserved that.  But this past weekend I heard a lot of people rooting against Iowa.  When I asked them why, all of them said it was because of that cocky Brands attitude.  Compare that to another Iowa wrestler - Barry Davis - who is one of the nicest, not cocky guy you will ever meet....but was every bit as physical and an "Iowa style" wrestler as anyone.  I wonder how much of a negative impact Brands & co will have on Iowa wrestling.  Will recruits shy away from Iowa when they feel their coach and wrestlers are jerks?  I bet it does.  Yes, they won the NCAA's, but I bet you other schools such as OSU are looking a lot more appealing that Iowa is after that tournament.

I have never really disliked the Brands, or their style of wrestling.  I remember when Tom Brands was outcasted for not leaving Team Fox Catcher when the DuPont guy shot Dave Schultz.  I think Brands deserved that.  But this past weekend I heard a lot of people rooting against Iowa.  When I asked them why, all of them said it was because of that cocky Brands attitude.  Compare that to another Iowa wrestler - Barry Davis - who is one of the nicest, not cocky guy you will ever meet....but was every bit as physical and an "Iowa style" wrestler as anyone.  I wonder how much of a negative impact Brands & co will have on Iowa wrestling.  Will recruits shy away from Iowa when they feel their coach and wrestlers are jerks?  I bet it does.  Yes, they won the NCAA's, but I bet you other schools such as OSU are looking a lot more appealing that Iowa is after that tournament.

I bet that it actually makes recruits want to wrestle for them even more.  Take it from someone who knows how it feels, it's awesome to be hated (in this context).

i disagree, i mean obviously, but really. just about everyone in the state? you know i bet you are either a parent or Alumni of another school. i say this because just about every wrestler i ask if he hates wofo, 100% of them have said no we actually like you guys. and it only seems to be parents or alumni that are complaining. please lets not argue, im not trying to fight with anybody nemore, Olympic wish has taken the joy away from me haha, so im just trying to be nice and let everybody know that this site has nothing to do with my carrer, my team, nething about wrestling really. nothing on this site is going to change how im going to perform. and if thats not the truth, the bible is as good as a comic book. yea thats my own analogy haha.

Actually I have seen a few people on here and met a few that actually like our program.  They're not the majority but they are out there.

I bet that it actually makes recruits want to wrestle for them even more.  Take it from someone who knows how it feels, it's awesome to be hated (in this context).

Actually I have seen a few people on here and met a few that actually like our program.  They're not the majority but they are out there.

exactly. but i would say its the majority jpizar. i mean think of teams like Henry Clay or other region 7 schools. At state i think atleast half of region 7 came up to me or ne of our other wrestlers and said, i hope you all do well today.

If you're comparing yourself to Iowa, puuuleeezzze don't flatter yourself.

yea i have to disagree with Jipizar. i don't like it, i know hypicrit but hear me out. It broke my heart last year when Coty Lewis lost his last high school match and every body cheered. Or the year before at state duals when he lost against trinity, i can remember in the tunnel every body was like dont shake cotys hand dont clap for him, i think i was the only one clapping. I am using these examples because that year i had come from middle school to high school so it was a different atmosphere, and when coty lost and i heard my home crowd booing and the rest of the stadium on there feet cheering it brought me to tears to think, this isn't about fun anymore, your not out here just to wrestle, and dealing with how every body hates you  is just another obstical over come. which everybody knows wrestlers have enough obsicals to overcome.

Personally I always loved the boo's when I was wrestling.  It meant that there was a target on our backs and everybody was acknowledging, whether they admit it or not, that we were the best in the state.  I think Coty was a different deal because everyone knew his conditioning was suspect and he had a cocky attitude and they didn't like it.  Now granted none of them knew Coty personally and their opinions of him were only from what happened on the mat (for example when he would throw his hands in the air and embellish the crowd).  It hurt me too when the whole place went crazy after he lost because they were booing him personally where with most other Wofo wrestlers they were booing the team.

I guess I was comparing Wofo to Iowa but I feel I have good reason to.  We have been the dominant program in the state just like Iowa has been for the NCAA's.  I wasn't saying that we're on their level just using the comparison to make a point because I have been boo'd and many of my teammates have as well.

KY10-

Were you saying that those who like us are the majority or the opposite?  Around the state I think they're the minority but they do exist, mostly in clusters like with a lot of Region 7.

metcalf is a junior caldwell is a sophmore (this year) next season it'll be senior and junior

Actually Caldwell is a true junior.  There is an interview on the NC State web site where he talks about taking his red shirt year next year and wrestle in open and international tourneys... and possibly giving football a try... then coming back in 2011... then going out for the olympic team in 2012.  Its a pretty good article...

Here's the link...

http://www.gopack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=41883&SPID=3722&DB_OEM_ID=9200&ATCLID=3699516

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the cocky attitude of Iowa(Brands).  Call it what you want, it wins.  Wrestling is a tuff, contact sport.  The best need to have an attitude a lot of the time.  Sure there are really nice guys in this sport but I'll take the one's who are mean as hell on the mat.  I'll take a whole team of Metcalfs or Brands.

You can probably guess what program in this state I was brought up in :-D

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the cocky attitude of Iowa(Brands).  Call it what you want, it wins.  Wrestling is a tuff, contact sport.  The best need to have an attitude a lot of the time.  Sure there are really nice guys in this sport but I'll take the one's who are mean as hell on the mat.  I'll take a whole team of Metcalfs or Brands.

Not sure what program but I agree with your assessment of the sport.  Wrestling is the toughest sport out there, hands down.  Because of that it takes the toughest competitors and those who are the best are probably a little mean.  Like I tell the little ones on my team, "you have to be a little crazy if you want to be the best."  This takes in being mean when you have to.

well then ill take a whole team of caldwells :mrgreen:

I disagree with the mean thing. There is no need to walk like you're the king of the world off the mat, or to criticize other kids in an unhelpful manner. Now going on the mat and banging on the head and being aggressive is a whole other story. That I feel is necessary.

I disagree with the mean thing. There is no need to walk like you're the king of the world off the mat, or to criticize other kids in an unhelpful manner. Now going on the mat and banging on the head and being aggressive is a whole other story. That I feel is necessary.

Sorry I was not implying that I want my kids to be rude or mean off the mat, just while they're wrestling.  Sorry if that was misunderstood.

Check out the dude in the blue long sleeve shirt in the back, he got stabbed by the Iowa crowd after the match. haha I think Metcalf is sending a message though, it's the one he has been sending all year, If your going to wrestle me it's going to be 7 minutes of hell and he will not let up on you until the whistle blows.