Sign in to follow this  
figurefour

Scared wrestlers.......

What is the deal with kids running from wrestlers come regional and state time? You see it all the time........Just because you have a Harrison Courtney or Fahy, or Ervin, does not mean you should run......With the high ranked wrestlers that dodge, there weight classes should become easier by default. I just think it is a pansy move that I have seen time and time again....Just food for thought. I mean look at the boy that beat Sullivan in the 112 finals a couple years back. Upsets happen, especially at state. :-D

It isn't really the wrestlers. Ive seen Union County maneuver their wrestlers to avoid their biggest competition until the finals.

That's just what I was thinking. Sometimes it's the coaches that try to strategize to position the team the best they can. So they push wrestlers to be at a certain weight where they can be most competitive based on who else is in that class. I'm not saying it works that well, but I know they do it. A few years ago a wrestler at Eastern starved himself all season to compete at a certain weight because the coach said he could be a state champ in that class. However, he actually ended up placing lower than when he had wrestled closer to his natural weight.

That's just what I was thinking. Sometimes it's the coaches that try to strategize to position the team the best they can. So they push wrestlers to be at a certain weight where they can be most competitive based on who else is in that class. I'm not saying it works that well, but I know they do it. A few years ago a wrestler at Eastern starved himself all season to compete at a certain weight because the coach said he could be a state champ in that class. However, he actually ended up placing lower than when he had wrestled closer to his natural weight.

Im guessing Luna? I probably shouldn't be inquiring about something so personal as this...

Sometimes it's the coaches that try to strategize to position the team the best they can. So they push wrestlers to be at a certain weight where they can be most competitive based on who else is in that class.

IMO this type of coaching is poor coaching.  A coach is suppose to work on each individual wrestlers ability and not force him to move a wt. class.

Wise Old Man I have to agree.  I think it is poor coaching to teach a kid to either cut till they have a shallow face (a trinity kid this year) or dodge opponants for their best chance.  I think you get a kid close to the natural weight, cut very little and teach them to work their tails off and hone their technique and strength.  Don't teach them to loophole their way around the mat, because this doesn't serve them in life.  Tackle a problem head on, prepare your best, and work for the best outcome.

Wise Old Man I have to agree.  I think it is poor coaching to teach a kid to either cut till they have a shallow face (a trinity kid this year) or dodge opponants for their best chance.  I think you get a kid close to the natural weight, cut very little and teach them to work their tails off and hone their technique and strength.  Don't teach them to loophole their way around the mat, because this doesn't serve them in life.  Tackle a problem head on, prepare your best, and work for the best outcome.

Wow. I can't believe I'm saying this, but for once you and I agree, OW. I will say, though, that the specific case I mentioned was one where the young man wanted very badly to be a champ, so he was willingly starving himself. And no, this wasn't Luna. Unfortunately, cutting weight was never Luna's problem.

Wow. I can't believe I'm saying this, but for once you and I agree, OW. I will say, though, that the specific case I mentioned was one where the young man wanted very badly to be a champ, so he was willingly starving himself. And no, this wasn't Luna. Unfortunately, cutting weight was never Luna's problem.

Its ok to agree with me, I'm right 90% of the time anyway. :)

Starving oneself is 'old school' and makes you 'tough'

BS BS BS BS BS

I hate weight cutting.  Makes our sport look bad plain and simple.

BS BS BS BS BS

If it doesn't get straightened up, it could very easily be another Max Gilpin story. I was in Jeffersonville Indiana for freestyle tournament, and one of the kids up there cut like 20 pounds the day before the tournament. For a little off season tournament! He ended up making weight at 125 I think, went out first match, got slammed hard and had a seizure right there on the mat. Cutting weight sometimes doesn't even do you any justice because you are so tired you can barely move.

BS BS BS BS BS

OW - has someone taken over your account?  You actually admitted to being wrong 10% of the time..what's up with that?

I agree with you that the dodging is bad.  My son had Courtney in his weight class, and he was very tempted to try and dodge to 152, but I told him he would be extremely weak and you never know if you would even face Courtney...there were others tough in that weight class.  Honestly, I didn't see anyone really dodge 160 this year.  You had Walls, Ray, and others that were quality wrestlers that stayed there despite a defending 3Xer there.

The good news on this is that with the quality of wrestling improving dramatically each year, I think there are fewer and fewer easy weight classes to dodge guys.  Each weight class is getting very solid and the depth is improving.  Honestly, how many weight classes this year would people say was an "easy" weight class?  I can only think of a couple if that.

OW - has someone taken over your account?  You actually admitted to being wrong 10% of the time..what's up with that?

I agree with you that the dodging is bad.  My son had Courtney in his weight class, and he was very tempted to try and dodge to 152, but I told him he would be extremely weak and you never know if you would even face Courtney...there were others tough in that weight class.  Honestly, I didn't see anyone really dodge 160 this year.  You had Walls, Ray, and others that were quality wrestlers that stayed there despite a defending 3Xer there.

The good news on this is that with the quality of wrestling improving dramatically each year, I think there are fewer and fewer easy weight classes to dodge guys.  Each weight class is getting very solid and the depth is improving.  Honestly, how many weight classes this year would people say was an "easy" weight class?  I can only think of a couple if that.

10%... maybe less..... ;)

cutting weight is just part of the sport if u cant deal then get out ...... and in my opinion "runnung" isnt about being scared its about the team u have 2 rember that wrestling is a TEAM sport even at state and its definatly during dule season and of i have 2 cut weight in a duel so i can pick up those points or keep the oter team from picking them up then for my team im just gonna have  suck it up and do it

cutting weight is just part of the sport if u cant deal then get out ...... and in my opinion "runnung" isnt about being scared its about the team u have 2 rember that wrestling is a TEAM sport even at state and its definatly during dule season and of i have 2 cut weight in a duel so i can pick up those points or keep the oter team from picking them up then for my team im just gonna have  suck it up and do it

Wasn't talking about your examples.....More like at a tournament setting. You know the kids who say, hmmmmm is Caleb Ervin, or Josh Johnson going to be at this tournament. I think im going to wrestle up a weight class. Cutting weight for the team is admirable. Just do it safe.

state is still team related but like summer tournys yea thats rediculous if its a tourny that dosnt mean ne thing than its stupid cause how do u expect 2 be the best if u wont even wrestle them....define safe what about trashbags and saunas safe or is it just a mothod that sotimes ha 2 be used

state is still team related but like summer tournys yea thats rediculous if its a tourny that dosnt mean ne thing than its stupid cause how do u expect 2 be the best if u wont even wrestle them....define safe what about trashbags and saunas safe or is it just a mothod that sotimes ha 2 be used

Sauna suits are what I used on my own away from practice before you weigh in. Only to lose a few pounds before a weigh in. Using them during the week is pointless as your only losing water weight. Same thing with a sauna......Water weight before a weigh in.....Just depleting yourself all the time is pointless. I do recomend that if you are going to do this, that you rehydrate as soon as weigh ins are over for you....>Gatorade and bananas are good for potassium and electrolytes. You know you are cutting too hard if you are weak for your first match.  You should try to lose the weight over a course of time and then you have to have discipline in order to keep it. Plastics to cut a lot of weight the day before a match shows me an undisciplined wrestler.

What is the deal with kids running from wrestlers come regional and state time? You see it all the time........Just because you have a Harrison Courtney or Fahy, or Ervin, does not mean you should run......With the high ranked wrestlers that dodge, there weight classes should become easier by default. I just think it is a pansy move that I have seen time and time again....Just food for thought. I mean look at the boy that beat Sullivan in the 112 finals a couple years back. Upsets happen, especially at state. :-D

Maybe it's none of your business.  I know it's none of mine.  You may think it is a pansy move, but they have a state title.(maybe)

killer:  Wrestling is NOT a team sport.  The TEAM does not qualify for the state tourney, individuals do.

Therefore it is an individual sport.  We are lucky that it is an individual sport, if not then teams like Danville, Western Hills, Holmes, Apollo, Newport, and many others would not exist because they don't come close to filling a full team. If the coach and team do their job then the individuals will flourish and the team will benefit from the individuals success.

Figurefour:  ANY use of plastics Trashbags, or Sauna's is not exceptable.  No child should be using this type of method for weight loss.  If a coach sees this type of use they should immediately stop it and reprimand the wrestler.  There is no situation where a wrestler/child should be using this dangerous method of weight loss.  PERIOD.

Yea i think it is stupid to dodge because on my team i wrestled 125 intell the weight allowance and i went to 119 and i knew Matt Zarth was there and if i won my first match i would go against him. So i win my first match and i wrestle Zarth full on to see how i do against a 2x time state champ. He whoop me straight up in the last 10 seconds of the first period and i felt good because i gave it my all even know i lost but i didnt care.

I have had trouble reading every one of killerk's posts... really man, the spell check is there for a reason.

killer:  Wrestling is NOT a team sport.  The TEAM does not qualify for the state tourney, individuals do.

Therefore it is an individual sport.  We are lucky that it is an individual sport, if not then teams like Danville, Western Hills, Holmes, Apollo, Newport, and many others would not exist because they don't come close to filling a full team. If the coach and team do their job then the individuals will flourish and the team will benefit from the individuals success.

Figurefour:  ANY use of plastics Trashbags, or Sauna's is not exceptable.  No child should be using this type of method for weight loss.  If a coach sees this type of use they should immediately stop it and reprimand the wrestler.  There is no situation where a wrestler/child should be using this dangerous method of weight loss.  PERIOD.

Grappler......I do not condone it, nor did I as I coached. But, it was done heavily throughout my career, probably over the state. Kids still do it. You can't control what a kid does after practice at home. I think its like the abstinence to safe sex controversy. It is naive to think that every kid will abstain, so its better to let kids know how to replenish their bodies if they choose to make a bad decision. Maybe my post came out wrong. It is definitely unhealthy and pointless to use plastics every day. I heard of and talked to guys that did just that. Plastics aren't a good thing. They use to be a part of the training, but now people are looking into safer methods which is needed. Wrestling has taken a good step to discourage it. But I really doubt that every kid will completely stop the use of plastics. I just don't want any kid to use unsafe means and then kill over. That would be a horrible tragedy.  I care a lot about kids and would never want to see/hear of a wrestling tragedy such as that ever again. Thanks.

Yea i think it is stupid to dodge because on my team i wrestled 125 intell the weight allowance and i went to 119 and i knew Matt Zarth was there and if i won my first match i would go against him. So i win my first match and i wrestle Zarth full on to see how i do against a 2x time state champ. He whoop me straight up in the last 10 seconds of the first period and i felt good because i gave it my all even know i lost but i didnt care.

And you should be commended. Wrestling is meant to grow and promote toughness, mentally and physically.

And you should be commended. Wrestling is meant to grow and promote toughness, mentally and physically.

until you get beat so many times then people tend to not like it as much that was our problem keeping kids out that were new and got a rough weight class to wreestle

until you get beat so many times then people tend to not like it as much that was our problem keeping kids out that were new and got a rough weight class to wreestle

The kids that did not win as much in the beginning on the team I coached, took one of two paths. They got devoted or they quit. Wrestling is not for everyone. It is a shame that people give up so early, but the thing they have to look at is: Those people that are beating the "new kids" have alot more experience. You can't walk into a gym and just wrestle. All the kids wanted to do in the beginning of the Henderson Wrestling Program was wrestle live. The work that you put into drilling, technique and endurance go alot farther, especially in the beginning. The best conditioning and actual wrestling practice is drilling basic moves at 75% level. Every kid on the team can usually shoot a single leg, but if the team is lucky, one kid has perfected it. You have to go through the movements and fine tune everything until wrestling is second nature. And getting beat should motivate you. It means, either you don't have enough experience, endurance, technique, or mat awareness to defeat your opponent. There is always room for improvement in everybody's wrestling, even a state champ.