Sign in to follow this  
dinubus

Region 5 (Very Very Pre-Season)

I can't imagine Eastern losing any of their better kids. Most of them are pretty tied to the community! Who could you be thinking?

I'd love to know to.  I could see Lancaster, I know he trains with north's MS coach all the time.

You embarrass yourself with your ignorance.

How is that ignorant?  JC is so compartmentalized it's not even funny.  There is no sense of identity throughout the community.

How is that ignorant?  JC is so compartmentalized it's not even funny.  There is no sense of identity throughout the community.

As a lifelong member of Jefferson County, I would have to agree. You guys are talking about Jefferson County right?

I'd love to know to.  I could see Lancaster, I know he trains with north's MS coach all the time.

As of now, nobody from Eastern is transferring to North. Shirey, Lancaster, Dicken, and even Davis have all trained with Smith and Gercak at some point, but that's about as far as it's gone.

Coach G is one that trains with a lot of people. He doesn't really try to steal any kids or anything. He really just wants to help kids in Ky get better.

There is very much a sense of community in Middletown, where Eastern High School has existed for almost 60 years. Most of the local businesses donate to the school, and many of them display Eastern jerseys and sports memorabilia right along with Cards, Cats, and Colts stuff. The Big East tournament had more than 20 local business sponsors. Students attending there are second and even third generation -- former students now teach there and help coach. You see the same people in church on Sunday morning who are teaching our kids and working for Eastern on Monday. At the Middletown festival in the fall, most of the parade is Eastern clubs or feeder clubs from Crosby Middle or Middletown/Hite Elementaries. So to say Eastern has no identity in the community -- or that kids don't identify themselves with that community, is patently absurd.

There is very much a sense of community in Middletown, where Eastern High School has existed for almost 60 years. Most of the local businesses donate to the school, and many of them display Eastern jerseys and sports memorabilia right along with Cards, Cats, and Colts stuff. The Big East tournament had more than 20 local business sponsors. Students attending there are second and even third generation -- former students now teach there and help coach. You see the same people in church on Sunday morning who are teaching our kids and working for Eastern on Monday. At the Middletown festival in the fall, most of the parade is Eastern clubs or feeder clubs from Crosby Middle or Middletown/Hite Elementaries. So to say Eastern has no identity in the community -- or that kids don't identify themselves with that community, is patently absurd.

God bless Mat Mama learn how to read.

I never said Eastern had no identity.  I said Jefferson Co is very compartmentalized in it's idea of community.

You in Eastern, in middletown have NOTHING in common with Victory Park.  As Victory Park has NOTHING in common with Lake Forest.

Middletown is a community, good, just like Lake Forest is, and Fern Creek is.

However Jefferson Co is not.  Whether it is size/ space whatever it is, Jefferson Co as a whole, as a city has no sense of community to me.

Most schools in JCPS receive very little funding, and the money that they do receive generally goes to Basketball, Baseball, or Football. The smaller schools get no love from JCPS.

Most schools in JCPS receive very little funding, and the money that they do receive generally goes to Basketball, Baseball, or Football. The smaller schools get no love from JCPS.

385 it has nothing to do with funding.  Extra curriculers are not a right in high schools.  They are a priveledge.  The JCPS schools actually recieve a very large amount of funding compared to other schools in the state.

Whether or not they use that $ well is another story.

God bless Mat Mama learn how to read.

I never said Eastern had no identity.  I said Jefferson Co is very compartmentalized in it's idea of community.

You in Eastern, in middletown have NOTHING in common with Victory Park.  As Victory Park has NOTHING in common with Lake Forest.

Middletown is a community, good, just like Lake Forest is, and Fern Creek is.

However Jefferson Co is not.  Whether it is size/ space whatever it is, Jefferson Co as a whole, as a city has no sense of community to me.

To further my point and elaborate on it when I lived in Mufressboro TN the city itself had a sense of community.  It wasn't as compartmentalized by neaighborhood/ socio ecocnomic strata as Jefferson Co is.

When I lived in Gary, that city had a sense of community.  Granted it was a complete dislike of the city, but at least we where united!

My pioint being that one of the main problems with Louisville (jeff Co) is that it's all over the place, and not consistent in it's a) spending of money in both the schools and municipalities B) has no identity as a city other than the 16th largest small town in america.

Now as for middletown.... sure I see what you're saying, and thats good.  But Mama come on now you act like all of middletown is behind Eastern high School!  You conveniantly forget the coaliton of buisnesses four years back that tried to limit the eastern kids ability to walk/ loiter in the area!  Or the numerous nehaborhood complaints from residents about kids being truant/ absent/ wandering when they should be in school?  On top of that don't paint it as all hunky-dory.  In a school with a 1800 or so enrollment it is NOT normal to have a kid hauled out in hand cuffs every 6-7 days, which is exactly what my ex GF told me happened when she was a counselor there.

385 it has nothing to do with funding.  Extra curriculers are not a right in high schools.  They are a priveledge.  The JCPS schools actually recieve a very large amount of funding compared to other schools in the state.

Whether or not they use that $ well is another story.

You know, I was thinking about that as soon as I posted my last post. But then I remembered that a large portion of money from JCPS funds, goes to St.Xavier and Trinity. At least this is what I have read. Im not saying that it is true or not, but I believe it likely is. I mean how else do the two schools afford the equipment they have? The point im getting at is the "sense of community" and JCPS being "compartmentalized". JCPS takes pride in St.X and Trinity, but in no other schools. I can't remember the last time I saw a teacher or principal or counselor at church or out and about.

OW, I realize I would be wasting my time responding because your attention span is clearly too short to follow the thread, especially when that inattentiveness is coupled with a desire to tear down other people.

And 385, I'm sorry you don't have a sense of community where your school is. I do think it's a blessing for us.

OW, I realize I would be wasting my time responding because your attention span is clearly too short to follow the thread, especially when that inattentiveness is coupled with a desire to tear down other people.

And 385, I'm sorry you don't have a sense of community where your school is. I do think it's a blessing for us.

Mama don't pretend like you haven't had your share of demolition, but then again, you're right my attention span is wavering. 

All the negativity and crap aside, i think community doesn't have to be city wide.  I went to X and had a great time, and Identified myself with X.  In the same respect I grew up in Fern Creek and felt at home there as well.  I live in another part of the city now, and have a great neighborhood.  To build a strong community takes initiative and a desire to actually get along with other people.

JCPS - Jefferson County PUBLIC schools

The schools you refer to are private faith based schools.

I can't believe you Zinged me.

That was my exact point. The schools I refer to are getting money that is supposed to be going to PUBLIC schools. Tax payers money should go to buying new textbooks and lockers, not St.X's 22 million dollar football stadium.

Hendren?

"Hendren?" ?  If you don't know you should.  This kid is going to be a two time State Champ at whatever weight he chooses.  He might end up at 160.

All I was saying before is that all of the Varsity wrestlers at Eastern are pretty well tied to the school, since we apparently don't have communities here in Jeffferson County. I think it would be unlikely they would transfer outside of the county since they all live in homes owned by their families. It would be a lot of trouble to sell and buy a home or rent an apartment in another county just to change teams.

I really don't understand the business of changing teams anyway. If your on a team part of it's sucess depends on your effort and the effort of the rest of your team. Seems like hard work would be a best way to be on a winning team. There may be a middle school student that doesn't come to Eastern who knows?

That was my exact point. The schools I refer to are getting money that is supposed to be going to PUBLIC schools. Tax payers money should go to buying new textbooks and lockers, not St.X's 22 million dollar football stadium.

Your point is moot. Not one tax dollar went into St.X's football complex. However, every parent who pays for their son to attend St.X does pay taxes that go to JCPS.

Your point is moot. Not one tax dollar went into St.X's football complex. However, every parent who pays for their son to attend St.X does pay taxes that go to JCPS.

While tax money did not go into the football complex, tax money does go to the private schools including X, Trinity, Holy Cross in the form of busing allowances, and textbook adoptions.  This is pretty standard though as it is part of the federal guidelines in NCLB.  The supreme court has ruled numerous times that this is in no way a violation of the establishment clause of the constitution as it does not favor or force one religion.  It simply insures a level of uniformity in education.

"Hendren?" ?  If you don't know you should.  This kid is going to be a two time State Champ at whatever weight he chooses.  He might end up at 160.

I know who he is, some guy from north oldham just said "North is getting a strong in district transfer."  So i asked, so someone could verify.

While tax money did not go into the football complex, tax money does go to the private schools including X, Trinity, Holy Cross in the form of busing allowances, and textbook adoptions.  This is pretty standard though as it is part of the federal guidelines in NCLB.  The supreme court has ruled numerous times that this is in no way a violation of the establishment clause of the constitution as it does not favor or force one religion.  It simply insures a level of uniformity in education.

You might want to check that again. Things have changed regarding the bussing. I do not know what you mean relative to textbooks.

I do know this, if all the private schools in Jefferson County closed and the students were forced into the public schools, JCPS would collapse.

You might want to check that again. Things have changed regarding the bussing. I do not know what you mean relative to textbooks.

I do know this, if all the private schools in Jefferson County closed and the students were forced into the public schools, JCPS would collapse.

You're right. Most if not all of the best Jeff Co schools are already overcrowded. Right now JCPS is the 25th or so largest school district in the U.S., and that's with a significant number of students attending private schools.

BTW, while we're talking about funding (granted, this is pretty far from the original topic) -- I'll also point out that not all the tax revenue from Jefferson County residents stays in Jefferson County. Some of it goes throughout the state to fund other school districts.