Sign in to follow this  
matmonster

Winning

Again, matmonster I have no clue what so ever about why you are mad at Johnson Central. I happen to know you have had even less practice time than we have had. If you feel you should take any or all of your kids to state then please do so, but please do not be upset at any decision our parents make. Our parents may not feel it is the best course of action for their child to wrestle against kids from other parts of Ky.who have had many more matches.Coach Matney told each one of us the youth league should be less about competition and more about fun and an introduction to wrestling. We had absolutely zero to do with running the region but we strongly support the Corey family who did. Other than the lack of teams we found no fault from the tournament . First years are always tough for tournaments.

wrestlewatcher

All-State

Your post is very disrespectful.  You could have attempted to portray your opinion more accurately without being rude.  Quite frankly, I read your post the same way the heavy83 did.  And for the record I don't smoke marijuana for medicinal or recreational purposes.  I have seen teams win by wrestling hard....yes, the numbers help but if they show up in mass and lose on the mat it doesn't help.  You still need to win the matches.  Why can't we just congratulate the kids that wrestle hard and move on?

You talk of respect / disrespect, however, you and heavy83 have no problem creating a conspiracy theory which makes the host teams "cheat" from a simple true fact that numbers make the difference at this time in the elementary tournament ( by hosting the tournament you will increase your number of participants thus, increasing your chances of winning).  The numbers issue is a well known problem and has been discussed at several of the elementary meetings.

NO you do not have to win matches to score points in the elementary tournament at this time.  If you look back you will see several of the weight classes only had 1,2 or 3 wrestlers in their bracket thus each wrestler would score no matter if he /she won or not.  

However, you are correct I should not have made the marijuana comment to heavy83.  I was only being sarcastic in response to being called a cheat and should have not went to that level.  

wrestlewatcher

All-State

You talk of respect / disrespect, however, you and heavy83 have no problem creating a conspiracy theory which makes the host teams "cheat" from a simple true fact that numbers make the difference at this time in the elementary tournament ( by hosting the tournament you will increase your number of participants thus, increasing your chances of winning).  The numbers issue is a well known problem and has been discussed at several of the elementary meetings.

I created nothing.  I simply stated how I understood your post and gave you the opportunity to correct the misunderstanding.  I have been to the meetings (every single one of them) and the answer to the problem is to get more kids to go to the tournament....right???  The hosting team has not always won the tournament.  It helps, but it ain't the silver bullet. 

I created nothing.  I simply stated how I understood your post and gave you the opportunity to correct the misunderstanding.  I have been to the meetings (every single one of them) and the answer to the problem is to get more kids to go to the tournament....right???  The hosting team has not always won the tournament.  It helps, but it ain't the silver bullet. 

Currently you can not with the elementary state tournament without numbers.  It was pointed out that Ryle won it in 2005, was runner up in 2006, won in 2007 and was runner-up last year by grapplearms.  Even though Ryle was not a host team.  However, Ryle did have the numbers.  If you look back I believe you will see Ryle's numbers was toward the top in each tournament.  This is a compliment to the strength of the Ryle program. 

You say the answer is to have more kids in the tournament.  I do not agree.  I would not have a team winner.  Currently they are no fair way to score the team part due to the large number of brackets. 

My first post was extremely simple.  Numbers make a difference.

BTW, jcb for the record I do not smoke anything nice joke though. I was only pointing that your formula that you need to host to win. In  statement numbers mean everything is only partially true, the kids have to wrestle to get points. In state tournament there will alot less 4or less brackets. In regionals there are quite a bit more, less number of teams. If I understand how the scoring should be if a wrestler does not have anybody in his class he gets the medal team does not get points. Meaning he has to wrestle to score points for team. The only part of your formula that is mostly true is numbers.

i have a question.  Why not just divide a teams points by the number of elligible wrestlers.  In my small brain it seems like this would elliminate the advantages the larger teams have.

I wrestled in the early 90's for a really good Harrison County team and we didn't even have an elementary program...I am very fortunate now to have 2 boys of my own who love to wrestle...they are 5 and 10 and do it because they love to wrestle...but the more I read on here the more I want to stay home Saturday because its not about the kids anymore...that was one of the great things about wrestling...it was about the individual, how hard they worked and what they put into...unfortunately it sounds like wrestling is turning in to all the other sports...THE PARENTS TRYING TO TAKE OVER...maybe it should just be about the kids again!!!

I wrestled in the early 90's for a really good Harrison County team and we didn't even have an elementary program...I am very fortunate now to have 2 boys of my own who love to wrestle...they are 5 and 10 and do it because they love to wrestle...but the more I read on here the more I want to stay home Saturday because its not about the kids anymore...that was one of the great things about wrestling...it was about the individual, how hard they worked and what they put into...unfortunately it sounds like wrestling is turning in to all the other sports...THE PARENTS TRYING TO TAKE OVER...maybe it should just be about the kids again!!!

In my opinion, it is always about the kids. I could care less about the team trophy, but believe it or not, my son not only cares about his performance but he also cares about his teammates too. He is lucky to be on a team that has a chance each and every year. Since wrestling has always been more about the individual, having a chance to be part of a

I just don't understand the big deal about this team or that or whatever...not every kid has the opportunity to wrestle for an elementary team that has a shot at a "team title"...the way I see it, get them in the best program possible within your district or region and teach them to be good sports and have fun and the winning will come with the territory...I heard parents at our region griping about this kid shouldn't be in this bracket or this kid should be in another age group because they had more experience and they had never seen the kid wrestle...let the kids settle it on the mat...rankings and predictions mean nothing when your 7, 8, 9, 10 years old...See ya at state

Just to set the record straight, winning the Elementary Championship is not about the numbers.

2008 State at JC, Ryle only brought 27 kids.  JC brought a reported 105.  JC beat Ryle by about 20 points.

Ryle has a QUALITY program that competes with the best from Ohio every weekend.  JCB is wrong, it is not about numbers.  It's about the number of kids that can beat the rest, not just fill weight classes.

I don't understand why everyone wants to argue on this site. Isn't this all about the wrestlers? Not the opinions of the parents. I have a son who wrestles, and to be honest yes I love to see him win, but if he doesn't win I don't go off bad mouthing other wrestlers or parents. Any wrestler can have a bad day. I have seen my son pin boys in the heavy weight group and the 185 group but I have also seen him get pinned by wrestlers who were smaller and less experienced than him. Shouldn't we be on here to support our wrestlers and encourage them? I would love to see my son win his division in state, but if he doesn't then we just encourage him to work harder and be a good sport no matter where he places. Remember we are the adults here our children learn by our example. If we argue and belittle other wrestlers, teams and parents then our boys and girls learn that is proper behavior if they don't win. Lets set a good example for the wrestlers by keeping our comments positive and supportive and I think that will benefit them far more than the bickering and judging. And I wish every wrestler the best of luck on Saturday. As long as you do your best then you have nothing to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of.

It won't work.  If you send two wrestlers and they both win first then they win?  Uh no.

i ve thought of that too.  what if there is a minimum amount of wrestlers to be considered.  (Just like for jodie meeks to be considered tops in free throw percentages he has to take a minimum number of shots.) so say a team has to have atleast 13 wrestlers then divide

I have no dog in this fight, I am not in any way involved with youth wrestling in Kentucky.  But why do you guys even bother keeping team scores?  Do other states do this?  Since it's an open tournament why not just throw out the team scores?  It sounds like JCB has some what of a point that having the numbers helps a team win the title.  Yet, Ryle sounds like to be the best elementary team as far as quality goes.  Therefore the numbers appeared to help JC out at least last year.  I would guess the coaches and parents care more about the team titles than the parents do.  Do kids in grades 1-6 really care about winning an elementary team title?  I doubt it.  It seems like every year there's some sort of debate or controversey on this site regarding the team scoring for youth or middle school.  What's the point?

Team scores do matter.  You should have seen the excitment of the kids on the teams who were in the running last night.  It mattered to them.  Team scores matter at the Middle School level and the High School level so why not at the Elementary level.  If you don't like the same teams winning it every year then do a better job at bringing kids into your program and keeping them interested in the sport.  Isn't that what it's about? Bringing kids in and growing the sport. I always hear about growing the sport in Kentucky.

By the way.  No disrespect but seriously can anyone tell me what's up with JC?  They could have had a good showing this year with the number of kids you had last year.  Ryle and Conner travel all over.  The way I look at it is there is no excuse.

Let's recognize these programs.  WAY TO GO Ryle, Conner and Fern Creek!  Congratualations.

For not for JC not being there and showing up with tons of kids.

Precisely my point. Do you think it was a coincidence that they had the numbers they had last year? 

Would the numbers you are referring to be any different than the number discrepancy between this years Fern Creek team and last years Fern Creek team?