Sign in to follow this  
userdaddy

State upsets

Stae is right around the corner people, so it makes me wonder.  Whats some of the biggest upsets that you've seen at the big dance.  Besides the obvious ( Travis Sulivan his senior year)...  What other ones made your jaw drop.

jon voth, losing to shane parks last year. i couldnt believe the way the match fell and happened.

I don't consider 3 minutes of stalling an upset. (At least not a natural upset) I just get mad every time I see that match.

to be honest though, when the refs arent calling stalling on me, and i am winning, especially in the finals, i would stall as much as i could. it was the refs who didnt step in that cost jon the match.

i agree jon could have been far more aggressive, especially when he saw how the match was being officiated, but it still doesnt excuse poor officiating.

yes you are correct. its just a shame to see a kid lose a match, when if any other ref had reffed it, or it had been reffed as many of the other matches were, he would have won. normally stalling is called like crazy at state, especially in the finals. to see it not called appropiately in that match was just a let down to me. but you are correct, jon could have been more aggressive and stepped it up before the last period. he did the same thing travis sullivan did, and started wrestling too late into the match.

i do think that he beat him the week before, but jon had beaten him at regional duals that year too. so they were 1 and 1. i wrestled both, and jon seemed much better to me.

well i would say dont put yourself in a situation where a ref can "decide" a match. A ref usually never decides a match without the wrestler putting himself in a situation where a mistake can cost the match

Greg Woodring (Union Co.) beat Joe Carr Jr (Wood.) 1994

Hank Pinner (Hop) beat Matt Lee (S.K.) 1995

Zac Donnelly (Lafayette) def. Mike Fields (Scott) 1998

All 3 losers had won state once prior to their loss

One that made my jaw drop that was an upset to me was Elliot Martin from Seneca! Man I was really hoping he was gonna win it all! In my opinion he was a dam good wrestler!

sulliven didnt wrestle like he wanted to win that match, he wrestled like he didnt want to lose it. that is why he lost. he beat himself before he ever stepped out on the mat.

Sullivan should have beat Spencer. I dont think that match was refed very well. but we each have our own opinion.

your out of your mind the ref should have hit sullivan with stalling minutes before he did.

biggest upset was sullivan beating DC evans. now i know sullivan was expected to win but DC was up by like 8 and was pinned with 15 or so seconds left. very very crazy

your out of your mind the ref should have hit sullivan with stalling minutes before he did.

biggest upset was sullivan beating DC evans. now i know sullivan was expected to win but DC was up by like 8 and was pinned with 15 or so seconds left. very very crazy

When DC was beating "the crap" out of Sullivan I just sat there with my jaw dropped like Sullivan is actually loosing, and bad! Then he hit that reversal I was like ah heck just stall it out DC. Which I give it to Sullivan DC shouldn't have been on his back in the first place so you can't complain about the pin. I kind of expected Spencer to beat Sullivan, most likely just because I go for the underdogs, but looking back Spencer wasn't that good at all. If Sullivan would have been himself that match he could have easily won, Spencer wasn't doing anything either so it was a pretty boring match for the most part.