Sign in to follow this  
Ubtapinzson

Best Coaches

You know I honestly apologize if my last post seemed spiteful.  I didn't mean anything negative towards the Woodford coaching staff at all.  The Carrs are great coaches, very knowledgable of the sport and yes they are known nationwide, but trying to throw out how many state championships a school has won in order to justify whether or not a coach is great or if they "overcoach" to me, is just plain ridiculous.  I'm fairly new to high school wrestling in Kentucky, but to my knowledge coaches like Phil Coombs, Chuck Anderson, Gary Canter and Tim Ruschell have not led a team to a state championship and would I say they should be considered as some of the best coaches in the state.  I think most everyone would agree with me on that one.  The coaches who overcoach tend to be the younger, newer coaches.  Sometimes they tend to forget they in the corner now and not on the mat.  They get pretty intense.  I can't limit it to just the younger coaches, but they tend to be the ones I notice the most.  Woodford has actually won more state titles than Mater Dei.  We've only won 12 in our school's history (I think Woodford has 13), but I'd put our 12 against their 13 any day.  I mean no offense to the Woodford fans, coaches and wrestlers by that either, but give me a break.

Good post, Jo. I'm surprised you know about these coaches since you're new to KY wrestling, because they're generally the quiet men who sit in their chair and watch. They'll get up and talk to the ref if they feel strongly about a bad call. And they'll coach their wrestler when play is stopped. But they don't stand over them yelling directions with their feet on the ring as I've seen some coaches do, especially the Carrs.

"because they're generally the quiet men who sit in their chair and watch. They'll get up and talk to the ref if they feel strongly about a bad call."

MatMamma obviously doesn't know who Chuck is.

I guess my ultimate point is that different coaches have different coaching styles.  One isn't necessarily better than the other.  If a coach can teach his kids or motivate them by yelling, that's great.  If a coach can teach his kids or motivate them by having a softer, more relaxed tone, then that's great as well.  You can't simply justify someone's coaching ability or coaching style based on how many state championships they've won.  Championships look great on a coaching resume' and they're what everybody who competes in a given sport should strive for, but just because they have or haven't won a state championship doesn't mean they can or can't coach!  To me, having a "yelling" style of coaching doesn't necessarily mean you "overcoach" just like having a gentler, more relaxed style of coaching doesn't mean you're a great coach.  What a coach is actually saying and when they say it during a match is what determines whether or not a coach can overdo it not necessarily their coaching demeanor or state titles under their belt.  I'll give an example for everyone.  I live in the Louisville area and even though it's a different sport, I'll give an example of a local football coach.  Ty Scroggins coaches at Central.  He has led Central to 2 state titles the past 2 years, which by the way, were his 1st 2 years coaching at the school.  Before that he coached at Doss.  At Doss I don't think he won more than 1 playoff game in a given year.  His coaching style hasn't changed a bit, but now because he has won 2 titles, does that make him a great coach or justify whatever coaching style he has?  If you say winning 2 state titles now makes him a great coach or justifies his style of coaching, then you have to consider him to have been a great coach when he was at Doss and barely finishing over .500 because his coaching style didn't change.  That's all I'm trying to say.

"because they're generally the quiet men who sit in their chair and watch. They'll get up and talk to the ref if they feel strongly about a bad call."

MatMamma obviously doesn't know who Chuck is.

You're right about that -- Chuck Anderson is loud. I misspoke on that one.

over coached?? thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard. from the people that say some coaches over coach, i have a question, how many state titles do you have? I'm not talking about you individually or champ teams you were apart of i mean how many state titles do you have in your school's history. put that in comparison to woodford who would most def. fit into your category of over coached.

stop throwing all of Woodford's championships in peoples faces... its this exact reason people hate woodford county. :|

The best coaches realize that their main job is to get these young men ready to go out and make a difference in the real world.  Winning on the wrestling mat is a byproduct of the lessons learned. Not to minimize the importance of winning - great coaches balance both. That is one thing that makes Chuck Anderson a great coach, in my opinion.

stop throwing all of Woodford's championships in peoples faces... its this exact reason people hate woodford county. :|

I dont hate woodford. In fact if people hate woodford for being raw doesnt that just make those people jealous and pathetic?

Mason Reid redshirted.  They have tournaments for those kids throughout the season.  Ruschell redshirted and did the same thing.

So are Reid and Ruschell redshirted coaches? This topic is Best Coaches!!!!!!!!1

Someone used voodoo black magic on my post.  I can assure you I posted this as a response to a question posed about Mason Reid and his long locks.  I just can't find the original post.  I apologize for messing up the forum. 

Christian County has some dedicated coaches...Coach Harris and Coach Smith both wonderful assistants who devote their time to the wrestlers all you ahve to do is call and they will open the room up and work with you...Coach Harris is a MACHINE...the guy never quits working he will motivate you and push you to your limits. He definately can bring the best out of his wrestlers..Coach Burnham is determined to have his wrestlers see the best competition in state or out of state...I cant for get Coach Adams "Big A"  he brings the entertainment to the group he is the vocal coach...the one who will say what is on his mind...Id take that coaching staff over any staff any day..LOVE THOSE GUYS..NO HOMO

Someone used voodoo black magic on my post.  I can assure you I posted this as a response to a question posed about Mason Reid and his long locks.  I just can't find the original post.  I apologize for messing up the forum. 

Luckily, RyleDad, someone is always available on this forum to correct your every mistake. :)

My ninja mind tricks aren't honed in yet this morning. So, was it Reid I saw on TV in bad need of haircut? Do you know his projected weight class? MSU seened young at anyplace he would fit in their line-up.

I did not speak to Mason directly so I am not 100% sure but it was my understanding that he redshirted.  It mentioned the possibility in the media guide.  As far as the long hair, that sounds like Mason.  I do know that he is acclimating well to school and collegiate athletics.  And yes I know this is about coaches. 

So

Bob Warnick Boone County High School 76 to 84.  Several state champs, state title, great man changed many wrestlers' lives for the better.  Has more stories about wrestling in Pennsylvania against all the big time wrestlers of that era.  He knew them all.

You know I honestly apologize if my last post seemed spiteful.  I didn't mean anything negative towards the Woodford coaching staff at all.  The Carrs are great coaches, very knowledgable of the sport and yes they are known nationwide, but trying to throw out how many state championships a school has won in order to justify whether or not a coach is great or if they "overcoach" to me, is just plain ridiculous.  I'm fairly new to high school wrestling in Kentucky, but to my knowledge coaches like Phil Coombs, Chuck Anderson, Gary Canter and Tim Ruschell have not led a team to a state championship and would I say they should be considered as some of the best coaches in the state.  I think most everyone would agree with me on that one.  The coaches who overcoach tend to be the younger, newer coaches.  Sometimes they tend to forget they in the corner now and not on the mat.  They get pretty intense.  I can't limit it to just the younger coaches, but they tend to be the ones I notice the most.  Woodford has actually won more state titles than Mater Dei.  We've only won 12 in our school's history (I think Woodford has 13), but I'd put our 12 against their 13 any day.  I mean no offense to the Woodford fans, coaches and wrestlers by that either, but give me a break.

spiteful? nonsence, everybody on this forum knows KY10 always needs to be put in his place, some just don't know how :wink:. so its fine that you burst my state champion bubble, and i apologize for not remembering that there are people with greater accomplishments than woodford on this site. now back to the bashing of heads. im saying over coached, under coached, coached anything can be determined by accomplishments, example Rusty Parks didn't get National High School Coach of the year (for all sports in every highs school in the nation, some people get it mixed up) for just being a good coach, do you see that he got it after our 13th title. as for Mater Dei having 12 state titles, titles are titles anyway you look at them, and by the way this is KENTUCKY wrestling .com so we are talking about best coaches in kentucky that coach teams in kentucky, no one cares about Mater Dei in this forum. as for everybody that says stop throwing your titles in your face, stop crying, wipe your face and win. you know everyone complaines about us but what you have to understand is that wrestling is all that woodford has, our football team hasn't been in it to win it since the 60's, our basketball team is awful,the closest thing we have to another sport having a state title is swimming and girls soccer(woohoo) our school is a wrestling school period. me and some other wrestlers from the past joke that woodford was built in the wrong state.

spiteful? nonsence, everybody on this forum knows KY10 always needs to be put in his place, some just don't know how :wink:. so its fine that you burst my state champion bubble, and i apologize for not remembering that there are people with greater accomplishments than woodford on this site. now back to the bashing of heads. im saying over coached, under coached, coached anything can be determined by accomplishments, example Rusty Parks didn't get National High School Coach of the year (for all sports in every highs school in the nation, some people get it mixed up) for just being a good coach, do you see that he got it after our 13th title. as for Mater Dei having 12 state titles, titles are titles anyway you look at them, and by the way this is KENTUCKY wrestling .com so we are talking about best coaches in kentucky that coach teams in kentucky, no one cares about Mater Dei in this forum. as for everybody that says stop throwing your titles in your face, stop crying, wipe your face and win. you know everyone complaines about us but what you have to understand is that wrestling is all that woodford has, our football team hasn't been in it to win it since the 60's, our basketball team is awful,the closest thing we have to another sport having a state title is swimming and girls soccer(woohoo) our school is a wrestling school period. me and some other wrestlers from the past joke that woodford was built in the wrong state.

Alright, somewhere in between your head and your fingers typing, you seemed to have misunderstood what I was saying.  It happens so I'll forgive you.  My point was not to boast of Mater Dei's titles in Indiana.  I believe your original post said something to the effect of (this is just a paraphrase), 'it's nonsense for anyone to say there is such a thing as overcoaching.  To anyone who says that, how many state team titles do you have' or at least something along those lines.  I was simply stating that I have been a part of a few state team titles in my time for a school that is just as accomplished as Woodford and in a much tougher wrestling state so it's nonsense to say anyone who believes there is such a thing as overcoaching must not be "accomplished" or I guess just plain ignorant.  As far as this being Kentuckywrestling.com, you're right, at least that what the browser says at the top of my screen.  I would never have known that if you hadn't corrected me.  Must be the 13 state titles that made you realize that  (That was spiteful).  I never mentioned any Indiana coaches, I only mentioned other Kentucky coaches that I thought were successful and had not won a state team title to show that great coaches don't necessarily have to have a team title to be considered great or justify if they "overcoach" or not.  The coaches I also mentioned as not having a state team title also had different coaching styles so I was using them to illustrate that it's not the style of coaching that determines if a coach "overcoaches", it's what they say and when they say it, not necessarily how they say it.  Acutally come to think of it, the Carrs have not won any team titles as head coaches either so throw them on the list of great coaches never to have won a state team title.  Yes, they are obviously great coaches, but Rusty Parks was the head coach when Woodford won all of their recent titles, not the Carrs.  I didn't mean to challenge your Woodford manhood or your "alpha male wrestling" status in this state so take a deep breath & relax.  You guys are still the top dogs in Kentucky wrestling history.  Congratulations!!

i think chris mccoy is in the running for the top coaches because he does everything for his team and his region...when he started at lafayette they didnt even have matching singlets and now they always have kids that are in the running for a state championship...much props to coach mccoy and everyone he brings in

i think chris mccoy is in the running for the top coaches because he does everything for his team and his region...when he started at lafayette they didnt even have matching singlets and now they always have kids that are in the running for a state championship...much props to coach mccoy and everyone he brings in

He has done a lot for the sport of wrestling in the whole state. He is always helping run tournaments and his dad always seems to be there announcing.