powerhalf

State Champ Predictions

Regionals are over lets make some predictions. 

Here are my state champions:

70  Burroughs

75  Gilkey

82  Ervin

89  Brown

96  Fahy

103 Wedding

110 Holtsclaw

117 Clay

124 Carr

131 Cooper

140 Bryant

150 Brummett

165 Preston

185 Solomon Vanover

230 Samuel Vanover

I think Animal AJ may take 70lb and maybe Jake B. 2nd.  It could go either way.  Must say though, Animal is looking pretty beasty.

I hope they both make it to the finals.  They both have wrestled each other many times with Jake winning 95% of the time.  I believe Jake beat AJ last year for the elementary school championship, but I not 100% sure. They are both good kids and whoever wants it the most will win.  I'm sure both are training hard.  I wouldn't count out Skaggs from ryle either.

you are right powerhalf Jake and AJ have wrestled many of times,they wrestled each other in their first tournament ever over 5yrs ago.Me and Joe B. still have the tape(LOL).Aj won the first match then Jake just took off after that.He Beat AJ many times in a row after that.In the last 2 matches they split(AJ in Jeff and Jake in ele. state).They(as well as me and Joe B. are good friends) I hate that one gets their feelings hurt when they lose to each other.But if they do wrestle I will tell you one thing it will be fun to watch.And yes don't count out Scaggs. Good luck Guys.

Hey WHS I don't know if you've seen him or not but if you have what do you think about Fairdale's 70lbs kid? I mean he's obviously not gonna beat A.J. but for a first year kid he's really not bad. He wrestled very well at regionals against the Trinity kid in the semifinals.

AJ never got to wrestle the fairdale kid,but everytime we watched him he wrestled hard.I believe he went to OT against our other 70(Roberts) and won.Roberts is lite but a very good wrestler.So I think he did real well from what I saw.Is he first year?

Ok I see that he is first year,he did very well.Next year 70 will be very tough because some of the best wrestlers are under weight (Burroughs,Wells Fallon,Scaggs,Roberts,Bunker,kid from JC and a few others and AJ eats all he wants to break 70 ).

I just saw that he is going to state,thats great for a first year kid.this is AJs first year to go and he's been wrestling for 5 yrs.

I think the 75 lb class is stacked with a bunch of young talent. My personal feelings is that I think the 75 lb state champ comes out of Region 3. Wiley, Roth, Goshorn and Erdman all are very good and tough kids. All four have beat each other, with the exception of the Roth and Erdman match, which they only met up one time this year and it was at the Regional tournament. I believe Roth was winning 10-5 with only 25 seconds left and got caught in a head trap and was pinned. But if this Roth kid shows up with his A game he'll be tough to beat. Erdman has a lot of talent, but you just don't know what you'll get with him or if his head is even in the match. If he shows up he'll be tough to beat also. Wiley is young, 5th grade I think, but he too is very good. I just don't know if he can handle the pressure if he is down in the match. I know Roth was beating him I think 5 or 6 to 1 before Roth pinned him. But later in the season Wiley did beat Roth on three other occasions. Goshorn is in my opinion a streaky wrestler. He wins when it seems to count the most, but he really don't show me the toughness that the other three wrestlers have. But I wouldn't count him out either.

I agree with sitout, although I don't agree completely with your assessment of the wrestlers ( its just one opinion against an others, don't mean anything by it). I for think Wiley and Erdmen are the stud in this bunch of studs. If anyone watched the Wiley Erdmen match at regionals you know how good these two kids are. I was watching it with a few parents and was amazed at how smart and smooth both kids were during there match. Wiley got the 4-2 win and the confidence from that match def. carried over into the complete crushing of Goshorn in the finals. If i'm not mistaking Wiley took him down six maybe five times?? I dont want to call any kid not "tough" but I think the weakest mentally would be Roth. He is so up and down and you never know what too expect from him. And i still cant put my finger on Goshorn, he doesnt do anything special but he doesnt do anything bad and he consistently wins matches. If I had to look deep into my crystal ball I think that Wiley will end up wrestling the winner of Goshorn and Gilkey in the finals, unless Wiley is on the same side as Gilkey then I see Wiley winning that match and wrestling Auxier or Goshorn. But that is just my opinion. I think that all these kids can handle the pressure and will handle the pressure down at state. Remember Wiley got pinned in his first match at state last year and came back and won 4 straight and he killed Auxier in the semi's 16-3, so I think he can handle the pressure...Good luck boys at state, I'll be there rooting for all the region 3 kids.

I don't know about years past,but from what I have seen(but its only been a few matches and you guys have seen a lot more than me) this year I would have to go with Gilkey.

Not to make excuses for Goshorn because Wiley totally dominated him, but Matthew wasn't himself.  He had stuff coming out both ends the day before regionals.  The Wiley/Goshorn match at Fern Creek is what we would have seen if Matthew was at full strength.  Fern Creek came down to the last second.  It could go either way, but as WHS98 has said, the clear favorite is Gilkey (I've thought so since May-July @ all of the summer tournaments) with Wiley, Goshorn, Erdman, Roth, and Auxier waiting for him to make a mistake.  I don't look for him to make one though, Chris will come with his "A" game.

I agree with sitout, although I don't agree completely with your assessment of the wrestlers ( its just one opinion against an others, don't mean anything by it). I for think Wiley and Erdmen are the stud in this bunch of studs. If anyone watched the Wiley Erdmen match at regionals you know how good these two kids are. I was watching it with a few parents and was amazed at how smart and smooth both kids were during there match. Wiley got the 4-2 win and the confidence from that match def. carried over into the complete crushing of Goshorn in the finals. If i'm not mistaking Wiley took him down six maybe five times?? I dont want to call any kid not "tough" but I think the weakest mentally would be Roth. He is so up and down and you never know what too expect from him. And i still cant put my finger on Goshorn, he doesnt do anything special but he doesnt do anything bad and he consistently wins matches. If I had to look deep into my crystal ball I think that Wiley will end up wrestling the winner of Goshorn and Gilkey in the finals, unless Wiley is on the same side as Gilkey then I see Wiley winning that match and wrestling Auxier or Goshorn. But that is just my opinion. I think that all these kids can handle the pressure and will handle the pressure down at state. Remember Wiley got pinned in his first match at state last year and came back and won 4 straight and he killed Auxier in the semi's 16-3, so I think he can handle the pressure...Good luck boys at state, I'll be there rooting for all the region 3 kids.

HardWork-Just curious.  You said you thought "Wiley and Erdman were studs in this bunch of studs", but later you don't have Erdman in any of your senarios.  I'm just curious as to why.  Erdman (5th grader also) has beat Goshorn 3 out of 4 times.  By the way...I agree I also think they are all capable of winning it.

Go no futher.  Here is the truth.

Team:  1st- Gray.  Remember they dominated the Oldham duels with some 2nd team kids, and forfiting 3 weight classes.  Won Regionals.

2nd- Johnson Central.  Strong team

3rd- Elkhorn.  Guys the hazing you do before a pin is not good sportsmanship.  Backfired against Gray win they put it on you.

4th- Campbell.  Watch these guys.  sneaky

70. Austin

82. erdman

85. Fausz

89 North

96 Meiman

103 sparrow

117 Clay-  chamblee is over rated

124 Carr

131 cooper

140 Bryant

150 Brummett

165 Preston

185 Craven

230 maine

i dont belive nick austin is the one for 70 as a matter of fact i know hes not he lost to binder 6-2 and lost to scaggs a couple of times so if u ask me hes not the one

Austin has beat Scaggs this year.  They've wrestled 3 times with Scaggs winning 2 of them.  Austin is very capable of winning state, and so is Scaggs and Bidner.  Whoever shows up most focused will win it.  Make no mistake...Nick is very capable of winning it.

If fausz stays within 8 of Brock ervin I'd be shocked and if sparrow beats wedding, willen, and canter I'll give you my car.

haha...brock will run through middle school state..