Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings - 2008/2009 DEC 18

Do these rankings mean anything at all? I mean you are not involved in the KSHAA so when it comes time to seed kids, where are the official rankings, the ones that count?? Maybe you are involved KHSAA but i don't think so.

Having been in MANY seed meetings, Rankings do not mean a thing.  Seedings are based on facts (records, head to head competition) and general consensus (coaches agreement), not opinions (rankings)

The rankings on the Kentucky Wrestling Coaches Ass. are the ones that count b/c those are taken into consideration these don't, they guy posting these , if he is a KHSAA official then great say so, but i doubt it

The rankings on the Kentucky Wrestling Coaches butt. are the ones that count b/c those are taken into consideration these don't, they guy posting these , if he is a KHSAA official then great say so, but i doubt it

rankings are not used in any type of seeding in any type of tournament. any type of rankings are a prediction, and thats it. the seeding meetings go as stated above, head to head, then common opponents. there are a couple other ways, but those two are the main ones, i dont think rankings EVER come into play when determining a seed.

by the way ranger you may want to keep this in mind for next weeks rankings. tates creeks lineup will shift dramatically at the tci. stephen kimbrell is going to go 135, nick lalonde will be 140, andrew wright will be 145 (he beat matt burke of union pretty soundly by 6 or so), andrew kinsel will be our new 152, anthony will be 160, and jacob soard will be our 171. jacob is actually going to wrestle 171 at the region duals, so that will give you something to go on for next weeks rankings. it will be jakes first whole year as varisty i think, but he wrestled some 189 this past weekend at johnson central, and did very well. he was only weighing about 173. anyway, keep up the good work.

The rankings for the coaches association are not taken any more serious than the ones done by ranger.  The coaches association rankings have notoriously been biased towards an individual team or group of teams or area more than the rest of the state.  And those rankings weren't done by a KHSAA official either with way less input than what the rankings from Ranger get, the coaches association is a separate entity and the KHSAA doesn't back the rankings from either one.  It has been that way for 20+ years now.  What is the website for the coaches association poll?  I can't seem to find it right now.

The rankings on the Kentucky Wrestling Coaches butt. are the ones that count b/c those are taken into consideration these don't, they guy posting these , if he is a KHSAA official then great say so, but i doubt it

heres what i think on the osborne situation, osborn has at the time beatin zarth and hasnt lost to anyone that zarth has beatin therefor he deservse the number one but all zarth fan dont let that get you down remember last year whenever carr beat him and elliot beat him then he goes to state elliot beats carr by like 13 points and carr yelled to get off his back (he was sooo pinned when he got put in that craddle) and then zarth beats elliot without elliot scoring an offensive or deffensive point. just saying yes osborne is a tough kid but when it comes down zarth doesnt seem to get touched at state.

heres what i think on the osborne situation, osborn has at the time beatin zarth and hasnt lost to anyone that zarth has beatin therefor he deservse the number one but all zarth fan dont let that get you down remember last year whenever carr beat him and elliot beat him then he goes to state elliot beats carr by like 13 points and carr yelled to get off his back (he was sooo pinned when he got put in that craddle) and then zarth beats elliot without elliot scoring an offensive or deffensive point. just saying yes osborne is a tough kid but when it comes down zarth doesnt seem to get touched at state.

this is what ive been saying for 4 straight pages lol...

I assume you mean in the past, because I don't think you have beaten many of these guys (without losing to them as well):

1. Aaron Carr

2. Caleb Schneider

3. Austin Palmer

4. Terrance Demery

5. Rayontez Harper

6. Kevin Cooper

7. Travis Krauziewicz

8. Kirby Goodwine

If you are going back to past years, I would argue that I haven't seen a lot of Tates Creek results historically.  Remember, I am good, but I can't just magically know who you beat or lose to on a weekly basis.

umm i beat Travis Krauziewicz like 2 years ago

He is on the alpha master report, so I assume he started the season.  Don't hear much about Danville, so I don't know for sure.

alright Hester is wrestling this year he finished up football and is working on his grades a bit and he should be in the swing of things soon. according to the Danville coach's.

On the topic of rankings being used for seeding, I've been in my fair share of seeding meetings and have never seen rankings used; coaches association or other.  BUT, if wrestling operated like the big high school sports around the state and we had mandatory reporting of results, there is no reason that rankings couldn't be accurate enough to be used at tournaments.  The opinion would only come in where kids have not faced each other or have any common opponents, but then records would be available to use as a judgement.

i am referring to the past. last year i beat both, kirby goodwine, and rayontez harper at the state duals. it was last year, so i havent mentioned it this year, because it hasnt happened this year. but in past years i have also beaten people ahead of me and rarely moved. it always seemed that the people i beat in front of me, just fell back in the rankings...mainly shawn johnson... :-D

but anyway, i appreciate the move from 11th to 9th, but it's still not placing ranger, and as a senior, i'm very disappointed you feel i wont place this year. cant wait to put your prediction to the test, and hopefully prove it wrong.

Hey, I understand what you are saying.  Johnson is a weird situation.  The kid beat a lot of top knotch wrestlers and I'm guessing he beat you a few times as well.  When you get late in the season it is tough when an "upset" occurs.  For example, if the #20 beats #5, you can't expect the #20 to go to #5 because he likely lost to a bunch of the guys in between, that's how he got to be #20.  So that's when you will see the top guys slide more than the lower guy move up.  All I can say is keep knocking them off and don't lose.  You're starting at a much better point this season and if you keep competing the way it sounds you have a great shot at placing, possibly pretty high.

yea but how many dozens of others have you lost to that you shouldn't have since then.  And i don't think it was him honestly, unless it was his first day then..

umm i beat Travis Krauziewicz like 2 years ago

Hey, I understand what you are saying.  Johnson is a weird situation.  The kid beat a lot of top knotch wrestlers and I'm guessing he beat you a few times as well.  When you get late in the season it is tough when an "upset" occurs.  For example, if the #20 beats #5, you can't expect the #20 to go to #5 because he likely lost to a bunch of the guys in between, that's how he got to be #20.  So that's when you will see the top guys slide more than the lower guy move up.  All I can say is keep knocking them off and don't lose.  You're starting at a much better point this season and if you keep competing the way it sounds you have a great shot at placing, possibly pretty high.

trust me ranger i understand. 125 last year was a horrible weight class to try and rank. so and so beat so and so who beat so and so who lost to so and so. thats all it was ALL YEAR LONG.

trust me ranger i understand. 125 last year was a horrible weight class to try and rank. so and so beat so and so who beat so and so who lost to so and so. thats all it was ALL YEAR LONG.

i think even worse than that was 215 from two years ago. chaney, dockery, nickel, green, watson, doug winter, cameron hartman, and adam dials for a while. this weight class was so wide open, the kid ranked 8th (nickel) ended up winning it.

yeah. rankings get tough to do sometimes. thats why wrestling is so fun to watch and also so unpredicatable. you never know whos feeling just how bad on what day. the best example i can think of is tyler voth his junior year. he tech falled murner during the season. then state finals rolls around and tyler ends up losing the match by a point or two.

i think even worse than that was 215 from two years ago. chaney, dockery, nickel, green, watson, doug winter, cameron hartman, and adam dials for a while. this weight class was so wide open, the kid ranked 8th (nickel) ended up winning it.

and by the way, last year at 125 shane was ranked 8th...and he won it.

Zach Tucker beat Rex Stephens and Shawn cook today he is going to be at 119 for the rest of the year

uh oh. some competition for shawn112?