Sign in to follow this  
blah

WCI

Since I was on the mat during the Holtsclaw match I will offer my opinion which is the same as CGD78 and Ranger.  Although I tried to lobby to get all three calls which any coach would do I have no major disagreement with any of the calls during that match.  Furthermore I am extremely happy that Wade didn't let it get him down.  He kept attacking and won the match.  I will also say that I think the last second reversal call on Goodwine was correct.  The only possible complaint I might have is Vince Staten did the same thing 3 times in a row but only got two cautions.  I will assume that since it was close the official gave him the benefit of the doubt since it would have cost him a point in a double overtime match and as long as an official is consistent with doing that I am not that upset.

They announced during the finals that there were over 3,000 people watching the finals live on the internet; even someone from Afghanistan. That's pretty cool. I saw in the archives on this website that some of the region 7 duals was broadcast as well (audio only?). Wonder how we can get more wrestling tournaments broadcast? Awesome way to promote Ky wrestling as well as being a great (college) recruting tool.

The person watching from Afghanistan is Kyle Douglas. He wrestled at Woodford in the late 80's along with one of his brothers. He is now a combat engineer serving in the army. His oldest brother does the announcing at the WCI.

Since I was on the mat during the Holtsclaw match I will offer my opinion which is the same as CGD78 and Ranger.  Although I tried to lobby to get all three calls which any coach would do I have no major disagreement with any of the calls during that match.  Furthermore I am extremely happy that Wade didn't let it get him down.  He kept attacking and won the match.  I will also say that I think the last second reversal call on Goodwine was correct.  The only possible complaint I might have is Vince Staten did the same thing 3 times in a row but only got two cautions.  I will assume that since it was close the official gave him the benefit of the doubt since it would have cost him a point in a double overtime match and as long as an official is consistent with doing that I am not that upset.

Very good point coach.  So many times we hear complaints about officials and how they cost someone a match.  But Holtsclaw didn't let any of the calls get to him; he just stepped it up and did what it took to win the match despite calls not going his way.  That is a sign of a good kid and good coaching.

From what I watched in the finals I was very surprised to see Wade Holtzclaw in them and to win as well. I did enjoy the Courtney Vs. Walls match. Expected more out of Walls but oh well. Another eye opener for me was seeing the kid from Western Hills I believe it was at 189. He put up some fight. I actually watched the HWT match and very boring way to much dancing but oh well. Good matches overall.

I have to agree with all the non-calls in the third period in the 112 final.  However I thought the "first" takedown should have been awarded but the official assured me that it wasn't so it wasn't.  Those refs did a very good job and have for a number of years.  The Woodford coaches bring them in from WV every year so they must do a decent job to keep getting brought in specially for this tournament.  I believe at least one usually refs at state as well, the one who reffed the 112 final I believe.

the refs at this tourney were horrible

Brody oleary was wrestling jacob miles n consolation and oleary was on top and up by 1 point and jacob went to stand up but oleary picked him up to return him to the mat and the ref gave miles an escape point which cost oleary the match becuz miles got takedown in OT. wtf is up with that

The Refs did a great job! They might have missed some calls but, how many shots have you missed while  wrestling. It happens, the best thing to do is take the Ref out of the mix by taking the other guy down and putting him on his back every time. Don't let it be so close that the Ref has a say. :wink:

I have to agree with all the non-calls in the third period in the 112 final.  However I thought the "first" takedown should have been awarded but the official assured me that it wasn't so it wasn't.  Those refs did a very good job and have for a number of years.  The Woodford coaches bring them in from WV every year so they must do a decent job to keep getting brought in specially for this tournament.  I believe at least one usually refs at state as well, the one who reffed the 112 final I believe.

Watching the video Wades toe was on the line, Good Call.

Jeremy Callen from WV is the Refs name, one of the best Refs I have seen in 4yrs of KY wrestling. And yes he has made some bad calls, not many but he will admit it if he did.