Sign in to follow this  
dinubus

Region 5 Rankings - 12/15/08

golfers actually lift weights... tiger woods probably lifts weights more than most people in sports, but then again thats why hes the best golfer ever.

I've heard that John Fahey is an excellent golfer.

Golf is not a sport, it's a recreation.  My 78 year old Grandmother plays golf three times a week but can't climb a flight of stairs.  How can golf be called a sport when most of the participants, even at the pro level, lack the physical ability to get through 10 minutes of a wrestling practice.

I hate golf, maybe the fact that my Daughter's boyfriend is a golfer has something to do with it.

Golf is not a sport, it's a recreation.  My 78 year old Grandmother plays golf three times a week but can't climb a flight of stairs.  How can golf be called a sport when most of the participants, even at the pro level, lack the physical ability to get through 10 minutes of a wrestling practice.

I hate golf, maybe the fact that my Daughter's boyfriend is a golfer has something to do with it.

i absolutely can not stand people on this forum bashing other peoples sports. this is what kids in high schools are constantly going through. now im not going to get started on some soap box because i tend to do that and i just dont want to this time. just go out on a par 3 and play that same hole a million times, and tell me how many times you can get a par on it, or even a 4 for that matter.

i absolutely can not stand people on this forum bashing other peoples sports. this is what kids in high schools are constantly going through. now im not going to get started on some soap box because i tend to do that and i just dont want to this time. just go out on a par 3 and play that same hole a million times, and tell me how many times you can get a par on it, or even a 4 for that matter.

Yeah, but that's like asking a kid to solve a rubik's cube or some complex math puzzle.  Those are skills, not necessarily sports.  We can argue all day about the walking aspect and this or that.  And golf might meet the technical definition of a sport, but it is much closer to croquette and cornhole than wrestling, football, etc.  I'm not taking anything away from the abilities of guys like Tiger Woods; he probably is a great athlete, but that doesn't make golf a great sport.  And the amount of time he spends working out has nothing to do with the sport.  I can work out like a mad man 24/7 and it really helps me be more efficient at taking out the garbage every week, but it is still just taking out the garbage.

Those of you that were talking about having to choose a sport because in wrestling you diet to become lean and in football or soccer you want to gain weight. 

1.  I have only heard of football coaches asking their athletes to gain weight

2.  You are better off being lean than fat in any sort of running game.

3.  If you hold your weight back for up to 5 months out of the year, you body will explode after you quit holding it back.  The weight will not stay off, and typically if you want to bulk up with muscle, the time to do it is right after dieting!

Any football coach that argues this against wrestling is either an idiot, or has never had any experience with or around wrestling.

Yeah, but that's like asking a kid to solve a rubik's cube or some complex math puzzle.  Those are skills, not necessarily sports.  We can argue all day about the walking aspect and this or that.  And golf might meet the technical definition of a sport, but it is much closer to croquette and cornhole than wrestling, football, etc.  I'm not taking anything away from the abilities of guys like Tiger Woods; he probably is a great athlete, but that doesn't make golf a great sport.  And the amount of time he spends working out has nothing to do with the sport.  I can work out like a mad man 24/7 and it really helps me be more efficient at taking out the garbage every week, but it is still just taking out the garbage.

ok. maybe i am a bit biased because i play some golf every now and again. it is fun though!  :-D

so how is golf not a sport but everyone is stoked about andy lenz dominating the ping pong board?

golfers actually lift weights... tiger woods probably lifts weights more than most people in sports, but then again thats why hes the best golfer ever.

but i played football my freshman year as well as wrestled and baseball, and its really hard. in order to be good at wrestling, you have to go to camps and what not all over the summer and its kind of impossible to do this on top of baseball and football conditioning and weight lifting. i just feel like you have to commit to one sport, if your a wrestler that is. its easy to place basketball, and football, and baseball.

You may be right, if you just start a sport while in high school, and wish to be real good at it, then maybe you need to focus just on that sport.  However, if you have played three sports since middle/elementary school, your body will be better off and you will have much more talent.  Also, if you focus year around on a single sport, your body will start wearing down and you will have joint issues as well as a higher probability to break bones.  Playing three sports allows your body to correctly heal and grow stronger as well as allows you to grow in areas such as spurt control, endurance handling, etc... 

You may be right, if you just start a sport while in high school, and wish to be real good at it, then maybe you need to focus just on that sport.  However, if you have played three sports since middle/elementary school, your body will be better off and you will have much more talent.  Also, if you focus year around on a single sport, your body will start wearing down and you will have joint issues as well as a higher probability to break bones.  Playing three sports allows your body to correctly heal and grow stronger as well as allows you to grow in areas such as spurt control, endurance handling, etc... 

There you have it... thanks for putting those Masters Degrees to use Dinubus!  :wink: