Sign in to follow this  
kywrestling

Is this something a coach should say?

im not going to drop names and i dont want to start a fight, but i have recently had a talk with a "coach" of 17 years

and i quote him when i say

"I think I do know wrestling. Any student who thinks of their high school sports prowess as a career is one messed up kid. There

Seems logical to me.

What he is saying is that to many kids thing that all they are going to do is play their sport and make money from it when they become an adult.  When in fact most will not be able to do so. 

I have talked to many kids and asked them what are their career plans when they are an adult.  At least 30-50% say that they will be a professional athlete of some kind.

This type of thinking is a problem, they need to continue their education and work towards a more productive, and certain career.

There's nothing wrong with dreaming big and reaching for the stars, but you better have a solid backup plan.

59% of high school football and basketball players believe they will receive a college scholarship

1% to 2% of high school athletes will receive a Division I athletic scholarship

12,999 out of 13,000 high school athletes will never be professional athletes

Even kids that have the abilities to be professional athletes should be going through school trying to set themselves up for a career in something other than sports.  It is unfortunate but I know there are lots of cases out there where kids with the potential have had career ending injuries and if they didn't pay attention in school they could be in trouble.

im not going to drop names and i dont want to start a fight, but i have recently had a talk with a "coach" of 17 years

and i quote him when i say

"I think I do know wrestling. Any student who thinks of their high school sports prowess as a career is one messed up kid. There

Take it all in the context it was given! He means its not the athletic ability that is going to enable you to make a living, so dont rely on being a big leaguer in your sport because its one in a million who do so. Only so many players make it to the Major Leagues or the Olympics, but hey if thats your goal go for it, just dont forget to get an education along the way.

But dont be discouraged either, sports is big business, every person making a living in the sports business, coaches, trainers, general managers, ticket managers, etc.... are making a living on some type of sport. Dont let him discourage your ambition, but understand its not the athletic ability that will carry in the long run its the character and education you gain from the sport and the experience. Sounds corny but true!

Seems logical to me.

What he is saying is that to many kids thing that all they are going to do is play their sport and make money from it when they become an adult.  When in fact most will not be able to do so. 

I have talked to many kids and asked them what are their career plans when they are an adult.  At least 30-50% say that they will be a professional athlete of some kind.

This type of thinking is a problem, they need to continue their education and work towards a more productive, and certain career.

i can see what you are saying, but saying that the kid is messed up just seems kind of wrong. there is nothing messed up about wanting to do your sport as a career. now i think if he would say yes, there is a possibility you could go pro, but the chances are slim, and you should make sure you go through school, that would make more sense, and would be good coaching.

but none the less i believe that if you are good enough to be a world class athlete in your sport that school will only slow you down, it kills my parents when i say that.

but none the less i believe that if you are good enough to be a world class athlete in your sport that school will only slow you down

It what way will school slow you down?

C'mon can't you at least look at what has happened to Chris Henry.  Yea he is still a professional athlete. But he lacks the education to take care of himself.  Make the correct decisions when needed. 

There are numerous others who fall into this category.  If they would have taken the time to get a decent education, or at least applied themselves more then he would not be in the predicament he is in now.  How much money has he lost because he didn't make good choices?  Chances are if he would have taken the time in school to get the information needed to develop the skills needed to make good decisions, he would have been playing the last 2 years and making even more money.  (Because I'm sure this is where you are going with this)

How many professional athletes go broke after they retire because they did not invest their money correctly?  How many pro athletes lost money to con men?  Let alone the always used example.  What about those whose careers were shortened for some reason?

Are you willing to roll the dice and take a chance that none of this will happen to you, just so that you can get the quick bucks a few years earlier?  You may get lucky, but who knows. 

no i just was saying it will slow you down because im still a lazy teen that hates school!

and now, the REST of the story.  so you want to drop out of h.s. to concentrate on your dream of getting in the square ring or "the octogon", eh?  NACHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Libre!  ;-)

your mom, dad, and coach are telling you what you don't want to hear, but they're right.  work hard in school, if you are good enough to make it to pros or olympics in anything, school won't hold you back, I'm sure Tiger Woods & Michael Phelps finished h.s.

no i just was saying it will slow you down because im still a lazy teen that hates school!

How good are you at taking orders or using a hammer?  Thats about all you will have to fall back on if you don't make the cut.