Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingmom

Multiple Brackets

If you do brackets like the youth tournaments in Ohio you would have about the same amount of brackets but no multiple brackets. Adults need to let there kids enjoy their acclomplishments and quit whining about multiple brackets.

Well put Heavy....I've stop letting my son read the comments.  I feel that we are harming the sport more than helping it right now.  Nothing can be done about state....if you feel the need to find out if your child is the "true champ" contact the other winners and wrestle them in a summer tournament.  Maybe that will give some people peace of mind....lol

Well put Heavy....I've stop letting my son read the comments.  I feel that we are harming the sport more than helping it right now.  Nothing can be done about state....if you feel the need to find out if your child is the "true champ" contact the other winners and wrestle them in a summer tournament.  Maybe that will give some people peace of mind....lol

I fail to see how the constructive comments on this site harm the sport.  I think the interest in an elementary tournament is a great thing and the comments are only intended to make it better.  As for your suggestion that the kids need to wrestle the "other" state champs during the summer to determine the "true champ" - isn't that what a state tournament is for?  If we need to make these kids feel good all the time and give everybody a medal, we can hold another tournament for that purpose. That reminds me of YMCA soccer where nobody keeps score.  As for my kids, I prefer that they learn the hard way, which doesn't always mean they get a medal.  The lessons to be learned from this great sport also include dealing with defeat and failure.

Why reinvent the wheel.  Follow a state program that is successful such as MYWAY or the like. It's proven from start to finish.  They took care of the headaches we somehow find ourselves in.

I have a few thoughts on this.

1) Why are so many people concerned with multiple state champions?  The kids win their brackets and have little or no clue that they aren't the true state champ.  If a parent or coach needs their ego stroked a little more to be able to brag that their kid was the real state champ then I say move to another state or go play basketball.  This is elementary.  They weren't handing out any college scholarships in Paintsville this weekend.  Ask Peacemaker how important Bryan's elementary wrestling accomplishments were to Princeton.

2) Is this so much different than high school considering splitting the state by public/private or big school small school?  You have multiple state champs at each weight right?

3) I haven't calculated the exact number, but I would estimate that about 65% of the kids this weekend went home with a medal.  Too many?  Maybe.  But let's think about that for a moment.  Back when the HS state tournament was 16 kids, 6 took home medals.  That's 37.5%.  And our purpose here is quite different.  We're building for the future of the sport.  This isn't the end of the line for these kids, hopefully.  Once the lights come on in Frankfort on Saturday night the vast majority of seniors have wrestled their last match on a competitive team.  This isn't the same.

Exactly.  Our purpose in starting this league was and is to create more involvement on the youth level not crown an all conquering state champ. Are their bugs, yes.  Are we working on them, yes. 640 kids in one day is a good start. 

someone made the comment of why reinvent the wheel? why not pattern our youth organization after other states that have been up and running for seceral years now and have gotten the bugs worked out? only my opinion but the egos and personal agendas of some of the people who happen to make the decisions in the youth organization. otherwise why would you not pattern our organization afyer one that is quite sucessful as well as very efficent and profitable

someone made the comment of why reinvent the wheel? why not pattern our youth organization after other states that have been up and running for seceral years now and have gotten the bugs worked out? only my opinion but the egos and personal agendas of some of the people who happen to make the decisions in the youth organization. otherwise why would you not pattern our organization afyer one that is quite sucessful as well as very efficent and profitable

MYWAY wasn't launched as a fully independent operating organization overnight.  It took time to nurture the sport to spin MYWAY off.  Right now there are a handful of people in KY trying to get youth an organization off the ground.  A handful of people with no budget or operating systems...........only our bare hands and a drive to put a structure out there for the kids of this state to participate in.  If it was as easy as rolling out the dough and taking the cookie cutter approach my guess is that the association would have done that.  If you know how to do that in less than one year of an organization being chartered you should attend the May meeting and roll it out.....I'm sure they will be all ears.   

no mam they are not all ears.. that's  where the frustration comes in. several sugestions have been made to individuals running the organization face to face and at meetings and by phone but they fall upon deaf ears..

no mam they are not all ears.. that's  where the frustration comes in. several sugestions have been made to individuals running the organization face to face and at meetings and by phone but they fall upon deaf ears..

There are some things that have not been adopted because the membership has voted against it.  I don't know what you are specifically referring to, and this would not be the forum to discuss it.  I have been at both (only 2 meetings) and numerous things have been discussed and tabled for further discussion/development or voted down.  That doesn't mean that their ears are deaf. 

Hundreds of suggestions have been made.  Some adopted, some not.  If you've ever been a part of ANY organization that's the way it works.  Your suggestion might make perfect sense at some point in time, but maybe today isn't the time.  Sense I don't know who you are I can't address your issues directly.  Send me a PM and we'll talk.