Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

Stalling - Wrestling

Well said, Refs should not be remembered for causing a boy to win or lose. They are there to keep score, maintain order and keep things fair.

Stalling is a heated debate, but should not be used in vain, You can tell when a kid is just hanging on to win a match by a point or two....

Good message to send to referees. Its not the coaches, refs, etc. that matters...The kids are the reason we put our time in to this great sport. Hopefully everyone puts as much as they can into wrestling while competing, but when you step back in to help and further the sport, remember your time has passed, DO IT FOR THE KIDS.

Personally i think stalling is an unappreciated art form.  A better name for it is "looking busy" posting a shoulder, then lowering your level to touch a leg, next snapping the head and hitting a sad attempt at a single leg sweep. (which safely moves you out of the way of most counters) All the while you just trying to catch your breath and rhythm while forcing your opponent to be defensive and bring a pause to substancial activity.  Or else you back to the edge of the mat then suddenly circling to position you opponents back toward the edge of the mat so you can hit a shot and go out of bounds.  The ref calls you out and when he turns to walk back to the center, you happen to notice your shoes untied so you tie it and recognize that the other shoe is loose so you tie it also.  Once you get back to the center before the ref blows the whistle you pull your socks up one at a time.  These are just a few examples of the stalling (looking busy) art form.  i believe in forcing a ref to make a call.  Once he makes a call then you know what the limits are and usually if it is done right then  by the time the ref calls it you ve caught your breath and the rhythm of the match is changed.  For a variety of reasons most of us have times when we look busy at work or social settings we pretend to be busy toward friends and family.  If stalling (lloking busy )is not done correctly then one should be punished by loosing a point or the match.  Thats why it is so important to master the art of looking busy if one chooses to stall.

if your mad about stalling then your proabbly loosing and didnt wrestle till the third period and thats your fault for being defensive, wrestling is a game with which we ahere to certain rules and if you have wrestled enough you know all the rules very well and how to play the line, ex. someone is up in a close match 6-3 third period of a champonship match, instead of takn down the kid again or takn that chance of cutting it close you do a lil here and a lil there and you get a stall call, you know there gonna give it, go ahead give me another one, i will take you down if i want but this rule"stalling" is part of the game by which we all play, its strategy, so you won 6-5, do the parents like it? no nor do most of them understand, its all in the rules and its fair game so if you dont like be more aggresive and wrestle harder, maybe in the third you wont be the one loosing or complaining about stalling