Sign in to follow this  
backtothestate

old vs now

Got me there!!!! I didn't lead my team to a state title but my team did come in second with only 5 wrestlers. Beating Christian Co. who had 12 and Tom and Andy were on that team. We out scored them buy 30 pointws. I guess it wasn't fare we could have taken 3 and beat them. And if i'm not mistaken he was a #1 seed and lost to a #4 Seed two years in a row then he won two state titles back to back.

Got me there!!!! I didn't lead my team to a state title but my team did come in second with only 5 wrestlers. Beating Christian Co. who had 12 and Tom and Andy were on that team. We out scored them buy 30 pointws. I guess it wasn't fare we could have taken 3 and beat them. And if i'm not mistaken he was a #1 seed and lost to a #4 Seed two years in a row then he won two state titles back to back.

Impessive,but my son goes to CCHS,(The Bear),and that is why he would have liked to face someone he looks up to as being one of the best from his school.

If we go back 30 years, I believe that would put us in the late 70's.  The Ervins of Union were around then as they are now.  What about it Tim and Robert, due you think you could compete with your sons?  I think so.  What about it Mitch, Do you think your dad and uncle could have competed with today's wrestlers?  Sure you do... 

The question should be, would the wrestlers from 30 years ago place today?  For one wrestling in Kentucky is getting better, for two people in general in all sports are getting better, and we have better coaches keep coming back after wrestling in college.

i think that the kids today would not even come close to comparing to the ones back 10 15 years ago...what happen to the hwy kids that had 6 percent body fat...now they are 25%  all kids are doing is playin video games now...i guess some of it has to do with the weight management rules..i just feel that there are some good ones today but for the most part that the competion is not very good at all.

i think that the kids today would not even come close to comparing to the ones back 10 15 years ago...what happen to the hwy kids that had 6 percent body fat...now they are 25%  all kids are doing is playin video games now...i guess some of it has to do with the weight management rules..i just feel that there are some good ones today but for the most part that the competion is not very good at all.

Any you guys all thought I was the negative nelly.  Looks like I get to pass that on to Maddog.  :-D :evil: :roll: :mrgreen:

I think the video game introduction has taken a lot of the good aggressive behavior out of the teens.  Instead of working hard to get better and stronger a lot of kids are more happy playing the games on the couch.  Games of the 70's and early 80's were only in bars.  The kids then played sports all year long to entertain themselves. :-) :-D

I believe that the wrestlers today are technically better and more intelligent than wrestlers of the past.  However, old school wrestling was much more brutal, the state tournament was often decided by who could survive the season with the fewest injuries.  Matches weren't stop for trickles of blood and I don't remember hardly any potentionally dangerous calls.  It was accepted that it was potentionally dangerous to walk on the mat.  Everyone on my team dropped 20 pounds in three weeks, we would run for hours after practice in rubber suits to maintain  our weight.  Every school had a full line-up, there were no forfeits.  At my weight class (145) we had three guys that I had to wrestle-off every Monday, reguardless of what tournament I had won that weekend.  There were fights on the mat, fights in the stands and fights in the parking lots.  We were warriors back then, winning was everything and losing was a strike against you manhood.  I don't know if things are better today than yesterday, but I know that the guys I wrestled with were some tough hardnosed SOB's.  What we lacked in talent and technique, we made up for with grit and determination.