Sign in to follow this  
fireplug

How bad were the refs this year

I have never seen an official make calls differently depending on who hired them in Nky.

Everyone knows what your gonna get with the officials we have up here.  I have never heard a coach complain and say they were not going to hire an official because he made a bad call against their team.  To me the coaches who do this are not very ethical. 

Once again I would be shocked if any of the Nky coaches have done this.

Plus won't this (an assigner) be another expense to the teams.  Many of which are already struggling for every dime they have.

Plus what happens to those teams that can't pay their assistants so they give them some of their home meets to get them some money. 

Just my opinion, but it seems to be a waste of money to me. 

I was only at the tournament Saturday. I cant comment on the rest of the topurnamnet, but I felt the officiating was pretty good most of Saturday. I saw two refs that I felt really made some bad calls but for the most part the rest seemed to be pretty compitant. I am an official myself, certafied in two states and have gotten flack from a few coaches for what they felt were bad calls so I understand the position of the ref.. Here is all I can say on the officiating in Ky. Not enough guys are up to date on the rule changes from year to year. I understand we are very short here, but turning a blind eye to bad officiating because we are short to begin with is not going to solve the problem. And secondly as an official all that you can do on the mat is remain consistant with your calls no matter what the score or how much time is remaining on the clock or if its a first round match or the finals. BE CONSISTANT from statr to finish with all your calls, wheather it be on the edge takedowns or stalling.

id like to say that Sk's 125 steven Norberry was totaly screwed out of his match aginst woodford three calls in a row gave the match away he beat him if you ask me but romur was that the ref was woodford ulumni wouldent shock me

ccwrestler1 this is exactly how rumors, lies and misinformation gets started. If you have a problem with a ref and his abilities that's fine and should be discussed but when you start rumors like this nothing good comes of it. The only ref at state (that I know of) with any connections to Woodford was the older one with the mustache. His son wrestled for one year and quit back in the nineties (I think). His father got into reffing and liked while his son got out of the sport. Criticize calls, abilities or judgement but don't make things up.

I have never seen an official make calls differently depending on who hired them in Nky.

Everyone knows what your gonna get with the officials we have up here.  I have never heard a coach complain and say they were not going to hire an official because he made a bad call against their team.  To me the coaches who do this are not very ethical. 

Once again I would be shocked if any of the Nky coaches have done this.

Plus won't this (an assigner) be another expense to the teams.  Many of which are already struggling for every dime they have.

Plus what happens to those teams that can't pay their assistants so they give them some of their home meets to get them some money. 

Just my opinion, but it seems to be a waste of money to me. 

If a school cannot afford $100 to $125 a year as a one-time fee to eliminate phone calls, emails and worry about whether an official will be there, will show up, is trained, etc., then they shouldn't have the sport.

My two cents on officiating in Ky, is that the requirements to be certified are not nearly strict enough, therefore we have alot of bad officiating. But just my opinion is that stalling isnt called nearly enough here. If you disagree you need only to get a copy of the NFHS rule book and read the section on stalling. Myself, my son and our middle school coaches watched Grahm OH (#1ranked team in the nation) against Moeller in a dual a couple weeks ago and our middle school coaches were AMAZED how quick the officials in Ohio are to call stalemates and stalling. Stalling and quicker stalemate calls force wrestlers to continue to move and wrestle instead of hold on and slowing down the action. This can only be better for the spectators and the continued growth in  popularity of the sport

Well said, refdad.  My kids are grown now, but I have three sons who wrestled in Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and Florida, in addition to Kentucky.  Every one of the other states were more aggressive in calling stalling than Kentucky is.  I agree with your assessment of that.

On the other hand...you cannot call stalling one way for the first 10 weeks of the season and then radically change your philosophy for only the state tournament.  Wrestlers deserve a consistent approach to stall calls, so they can adapt their style and strategy over the course of the season.  It is unfair to ask them to suddenly change a wrestling style that helped them win their way to the state tournament in just a couple of matches.

stalling stalling stalling... one lucky takedown then stalling... i saw it over and over and none of the acting refs would give more than one stalling call... mknealy from eastern stalled his way through state ... parks in finals with voth.. stalled through 2 periods.. rediculous

stalling stalling stalling... one lucky takedown then stalling... i saw it over and over and none of the acting refs would give more than one stalling call... mknealy from eastern stalled his way through state ... parks in finals with voth.. stalled through 2 periods.. rediculous

I only saw 2 of McNeely's matches, but I didn't see stalling in either of those.  You can't just yell poor officiating when you don't like the outcome of the match.  The officials need to be consistent, but so does the complaining.