Mat_Wrestler

After State Duals

So based on all of that here are the only conclusions I can come up with:

1) Wempe has the edge (no losses to KY kids) and has beat Voth and Bontrager

2) Voth only lost to Wempe, but beat virtually everyone else

3) Zeppa only lost to Voth, but beat everyone else

I think those guys are a half a step ahead of the field right now, but there are about half a dozen other guys who could easily get hot and win the title.

So based on that I say Wempe and Voth

It's great to see all these kids who have a chance. I like those types of weight classes. More enjoyable for the fans because it is such a toss up.

It is definitely more enjoyable as a fan to see this type of parity amongst a weight class.

It's good for everyone to have lots of good wrestlers to watch. I, for one, find matches other than my own team entertaining to see at State,

Wempe beat Bontrager at takedown tournament and 5-0 at region 1 duals 2 weekends ago,

At Brentwood,Bontrager beat Sean Ford 7-2.Wempe lost to Ford 9-7 ot.Bontrager is def. in the running.

quote author=MatMama link=topic=3935.msg37105#msg37105 date=1201737544]

103  Myron Bradbury

112  Travis Sullivan

119  Aaron Carr

125  Andre Zeppa

130  Josh Johnson

135  Justin Davis

140  Bryan Peace

145  Isaac Ervin

152  Dakoda Choate

160  Mitch Ervin

171  Mason Reid

189  Mark Jones

215  Derek Nickel

285  Anthony Bailey

quote author=MatMama link=topic=3935.msg37105#msg37105 date=1201737544]

103  Myron Bradbury

112  Travis Sullivan

119  Aaron Carr

125  Andre Zeppa

130  Josh Johnson

135  Justin Davis

140  Bryan Peace

145  Isaac Ervin

152  Dakoda Choate

160  Mitch Ervin

171  Mason Reid

189  Mark Jones

215  Derek Nickel

285  Anthony Bailey

Mat Momma, what R U smokin thinking anybody but Harrison Courtney will be 1st at 145?

I'm sure Mama knows that Harrison is there but she is entitled to her opinion. You go Mama.

I'm sure Mama knows that Harrison is there but she is entitled to her opinion. You go Mama.

Thanks, Rider! I guess ChickenWing didn't see my earlier comment -- I haven't seen Courtney wrestle all season, and I thought he was beatable at State last year. On any given day, any wrestler can win! Plus, Ervin has wrestled a tougher schedule this season.

I think Union County should have 6 in the finals.

103-J.Elam

119-A.Carr

125-J.Wempe

130-C.Ervin

145-I.Ervin

160-M.Ervin

and maybe

189-D.Wright

:-o :-o

Go Union!!! :-D :-D

Thanks, Rider! I guess ChickenWing didn't see my earlier comment -- I haven't seen Courtney wrestle all season, and I thought he was beatable at State last year. On any given day, any wrestler can win! Plus, Ervin has wrestled a tougher schedule this season.

I'm with Matmama on this one. For one Ervin will murder him off of his feet. For two nuetral is not even Isaacs best position. For three look who his work out partner is, I guaruntee that no one is pushing Courtney as hard as Mitch is pushing Isaac.

I'm with Matmama on this one. For one Ervin will murder him off of his feet. For two nuetral is not even Isaacs best position. For three look who his work out partner is, I guaruntee that no one is pushing Courtney as hard as Mitch is pushing Isaac.

I don't think that's the biggest upset I picked. Dakoda Choate is. But a few surprises always happen.

lol....murder him?  easy now fella.  let's not get too carried away here.  people have been saying for the past 3 years that Courtney isn't that strong on his feet, but somehow he survives on his feet.  Ervin might have a slight edge there, but i doubt even that's true.  as far as someone being pushed....last time i checked they have some pretty good coaches at woodford, joe carr junior especially.  he would roll mitch ervin up like a booger and flick him out the window.

I agree with Pioneer Pride.  Also, although Scott & Sheehan may not be Mitch Ervin, they are still pretty decent work out partners to have.  Courtney will beat Ervin just like he beat Banks and Thuenamen.

I will go with Mitch based on his finals performance last year. I was more than impressed with how in my opinion he dominated banks last year in the finals. Outstanding on his feet and also a very good mat wrestler. But I will say a close second is Courtney he has been very impressive the past couple of years never seems to be in bad position. I would love to see these two outstanding kids and awesome wrestlers go at it. That would be fun to see but from what I have heard so far this year is that Mitch is better than ever that is scary if you are a 160lb wrestler. Not to mention Mitch is a great person off the mat and comes from a great family. That goes along way in my opionion is ones attitude I believe that our attitude is the biggest factor in whether we succeed or fail in this world. 

I will go with Mitch based on his finals performance last year. I was more than impressed with how in my opinion he dominated banks last year in the finals. Outstanding on his feet and also a very good mat wrestler. But I will say a close second is Courtney he has been very impressive the past couple of years never seems to be in bad position. I would love to see these two outstanding kids and awesome wrestlers go at it. That would be fun to see but from what I have heard so far this year is that Mitch is better than ever that is scary if you are a 160lb wrestler. Not to mention Mitch is a great person off the mat and comes from a great family. That goes along way in my opionion is ones attitude I believe that our attitude is the biggest factor in whether we succeed or fail in this world. 

I think you are slightly confused here va07....we were all referring to Isaac Ervin, not Mitch Ervin.  MatMamma above has Isaac Ervin winning it at 145 (same weight class as Courtney).  Mitch was only brought up because The Bear brought up Isaac's workout partners.  I agree with your post.  Mitch is very impressive this year....not sure who i'd take out of him and Courtney if they were the same weight class.  While I will agree that Mitch was very impressive against Banks last year....Courtney beat Banks as a freshman - when banks was a junior.  Courtney is now a junior and hasn't stopped wrestling or improving.  It's just hard for me to count him out.

Last time i checked they have some pretty good coaches at union too.  Dennis Walls, Robert Ervin, Tim Ervin, Clint Hayes, Gary Ervin, and the new addition of Danny Lovell. Id say they have a great resume under them. Courtney is unbelievably good though. Cant wait for state.

Last time i checked they have some pretty good coaches at union too.  Dennis Walls, Robert Ervin, Tim Ervin, Clint Hayes, Gary Ervin, and the new addition of Danny Lovell. Id say they have a great resume under them. Courtney is unbelievably good though. Cant wait for state.

I agree 100%.  They are top notch.  I wasn't pointing out WC's coaches to say they were better or worse, i'm just saying harrison has some good guys in the room to drill with too, namely junior.

I think you guys crazy... some of the best kids in kentucky at wrestling have been in his weight class I don't know if you forgot but Robby Aylor a beast from ryle wrestled Courtney,he was a state champ and a three time placer Courtney beat him his freshman year.  In all my life i thought Courtney wouldn't beat him his senior year let alone freshman.  Next example Courtney wrestles Daniel Theunaman his sophmore year and beat him in OT and i don't know if you remember watching Theunaman although he had a weird style he dominated on his feet and Courtney still won.  I think it will be a good match but I don't think it will be as close as anyone makes it.  I say Courtney 9-5...FINAL ANSWER

As long as there is wrestling in Kentucky, I will give any kid that chance to make a name for himself. There have been many kids that have looked unbeatable at their weight. And for some unknown reason it just happens. We don't kow how or would of neve seen it coming but it just happens sometimes. Is this the year for Courtney or someone else to make their mark? Who knows but I will always give the underdog the benefit of the doubt.

Dickie Casselman forever remembered.

the two in the finals:

103:Elam v Bradbury

112:sullivan v Osbourne

119:martin v.s varth

125:Wempe v Zeppa

130:miley v johnson

135:Brown v miller

140: Shotwell v Peace

145:courtney v griffith

152:Ashbrooke v issacs

160:Ervin v sheehan

171: reid v Brownfield

189: Jones v houchens

215: Green v. Nickel

285: Fuller v Bailey

As long as there is wrestling in Kentucky, I will give any kid that chance to make a name for himself. There have been many kids that have looked unbeatable at their weight. And for some unknown reason it just happens. We don't kow how or would of neve seen it coming but it just happens sometimes. Is this the year for Courtney or someone else to make their mark? Who knows but I will always give the underdog the benefit of the doubt.

Dickie Casselman forever remembered.

Another upset was Joe Powers from Southern in 2006. If you look at the list of people he beat, it's a lot of the top contenders today. Southern had never had a state champ, and Powers wasn't a 1-seed, No one paid a whole lot of attention to him before State. His win was the most exciting of the finals. I think the entire arena applauded, well, I guess except for Ft. Campbell fans.

the two in the finals:

103:Elam v Bradbury

112:sullivan v Osbourne

119:martin v.s varth

125:Wempe v Zeppa

130:miley v johnson

135:Brown v miller

140: Shotwell v Peace

145:courtney v griffith

152:Ashbrooke v issacs

160:Ervin v sheehan

171: reid v Brownfield

189: Jones v houchens

215: Green v. Nickel

285: Fuller v Bailey

i agree with most of these except a few but ill keep my opinions to myself about who i think you have wrong

i agree with most of these except a few but ill keep my opinions to myself about who i think you have wrong

i understand some of this may not happen it's hard to ever really know the predictions until this sunday when the draws come out after regionals...