Sign in to follow this  
handfight

wsaz

145 lbs

Seed    Name      School

1        Seth Easter  Nitro

I recall a kid named Easter that beat Jacob Murton at the beast of the East or another national event, this can't be the same Kid is it?

Jacob beat Easter a couple years ago at WSAZ.  I thought he graduated last year, but it looks like he's still around.  Easter was ranked 2nd in the nation in Sophomore rankings I think, and Jacob broke him so bad he sat and cried on the mat during the event.  It was a sight to see- especially when they showed part of it on tv.

145 lbs

Seed    Name      School

1        Seth Easter  Nitro

I recall a kid named Easter that beat Jacob Murton at the beast of the East or another national event, this can't be the same Kid is it?

Jacob beat Easter a couple years ago at WSAZ.  I thought he graduated last year, but it looks like he's still around.  Easter was ranked 2nd in the nation in Sophomore rankings I think, and Jacob broke him so bad he sat and cried on the mat during the event.  It was a sight to see- especially when they showed part of it on tv.

If Jacob beat him my mistake, I just remember the name.

My apologize Jacob :mrgreen:

This tournament isn't looking as strong as it used to be in the past. I thought Parkersburg South and a few other powerhouses used to go.

WSAZ is the TV station out of Huntington, West Virginia.  WSAZ sponsors the tournament.  It was originally called the HUBCO.  Some Ky. wrestlers faired pretty well in the tournament this year.  Corey Spencer of Johnson Central was the champion at 112 pounds and Adam Dials of Sheldon Clark was the Champion at 215. Jordan Freeman of JC was runner-up to Easter at 145. Ryan Kelly of SC finished 3rd at 189, Tyler Grimm of JC was 3rd at 140, and Matt Slone of SC lost his 1st match of the year 3-2 in the finals at 135.  For results visit wvmat.com

WSAZ is the TV station out of Huntington, West Virginia.  WSAZ sponsors the tournament.  It was originally called the HUBCO.  Some Ky. wrestlers faired pretty well in the tournament this year.  Corey Spencer of Johnson Central was the champion at 112 pounds and Adam Dials of Sheldon Clark was the Champion at 215. Jordan Freeman of JC was runner-up to Easter at 145. Ryan Kelly of SC finished 3rd at 189, Tyler Grimm of JC was 3rd at 140, and Matt Slone of SC lost his 1st match of the year 3-2 in the finals at 135.  For results visit wvmat.com

Sheldon Clark's Brad Stafford placed 7th @ 171, Letcher County's 103 Dakota Kincer placed 7th, and Lawrence County's Zach Frazier placed 5th at 152.

Besides the kids that placed, a few wrestlers(I think) beat ranked guys from WV.  I think Lawrence County's 189 pounder, Chris Kazee, beat a guy ranked 5th in WV, and lost a decent match 12-5 to the defending WV state champ.  Matt Slone's semi match against the Huntington kid was a pure delight to watch, with Slone winning in the 3rd overtime.  Austin Stepp(SC 160) loss a close match to leave him a match out from placing, but I thought he looked pretty good.

I don't think this ended up being an easy tournament.  For example,  I just looked on WV Mat and Corey Spencer pinned the #1 ranked wrestler in WV AA/A in the finals, beat the WV AAA #2 ranked wrestler 9-3 in the semis, and the AAA #3 and #5 ranked wrestlers were also at the tournament placing lower than Spencer.

From the results and these ranking (granted I wasn't there) it looks like this was a pretty tough tournament after all and that the Kentucky wrestlers faired pretty well.