Sign in to follow this  
overweight

KY Upset

update,

Ryle finished 2nd in the large school division and 4th overall.  Peace battled back to take third after dropping round 1. The kid who beat him from Graham went on to win the tourney. 

Reid lost in the semi's to a Graham kid, by the way.  Reid finished 3rd and his 3 losses this year came from 3 nationally ranked kids, the #1, 8, 15. 

Graham is number one in the nation,

Osborne finished 4th, Palmer 5th.  results posted www.baumspage.com  Gmvwa tournament 

SK didn't appear to finish so good,  Neal dnp, injury??

update,

Ryle finished 2nd in the large school division and 4th overall.  Peace battled back to take third after dropping round 1. The kid who beat him from Graham went on to win the tourney. 

Reid lost in the semi's to a Graham kid, by the way.  Reid finished 3rd and his 3 losses this year came from 3 nationally ranked kids, the #1, 8, 15. 

Graham is number one in the nation,

Osborne finished 4th, Palmer 5th.  results posted www.baumspage.com  Gmvwa tournament 

SK didn't appear to finish so good,  Neal dnp, injury??

Neal did not make weight this morning....that is my understanding.

OOPS.  Better get a handle on the weight before you have to make it 3 days in Frankfort.

I continue to be amazed when I heard of some kids cutting 10-15 pounds in a day.

I've talked to some that have cut up to 20-25 in a week.

This can't be health; I'm shocked to hear it from the kids and it's even harder to believe that coaches are turning a blind eye to this. :-(

I continue to be amazed when I heard of some kids cutting 10-15 pounds in a day.

I've talked to some that have cut up to 20-25 in a week.

This can't be health; I'm shocked to hear it from the kids and it's even harder to believe that coaches are turning a blind eye to this. :-(

does this mean the weight management program is failing?

Either some kids are exaggerating or coach are allowing this and only concerned with the weigh-ins.  Parents and coaches are ignoring what happen's between the dates.

If it is true, then its wrong and unsafe for the kids, winning isn't everything if these kids health is at risk.

We try to put systems in place to protect all the kids, but some fine ways to beat the system.

I saw a wrestler @ WCI, he hasn't done his assessment and it is scary to see how fast he makes it down to his planned weigh, he looks like he is 150 +/-.

When does the assessment have to be completed :?

Who is the honest broker.

Neal did not make weight by .2 lbs., Peace looked like he was not himself even when he wasn't wrestling, he should bounce back. Vaughn got fourth. Who, besides the Coopers, have placed at GMV from SK?

There are many ways to get around the plan... Some coaches could also not know about it maybe the kid lies about their weight at practice? so coach never really knows how much the kid weighs

Or its an old school coach who has seen worse in his day?

Either some kids are exaggerating or coach are allowing this and only concerned with the weigh-ins.  Parents and coaches are ignoring what happen's between the dates.

If it is true, then its wrong and unsafe for the kids, winning isn't everything if these kids health is at risk.

We try to put systems in place to protect all the kids, but some fine ways to beat the system.

I saw a wrestler @ WCI, he hasn't done his assessment and it is scary to see how fast he makes it down to his planned weigh, he looks like he is 150 +/-.

When does the assessment have to be completed :?

Who is the honest broker.

Old school

I believe the commissioner sent out an e-mail earlier in the year stating all wrestlers should have their fat test prior to practicing.  Anyone holding a wrestler out for reasons other than illness are not following the rules. 

We don't always know the situations of wrestlers.  I know when I wrestled my coach checked our weight almost daily.  Those of us who he suspected lying about our wt. he would check daily.

I grew up in the days of sweat suits, plastic suits, running in steam showers with plastics.  I'm not sure if any wrestlers perform these acts any more.  These acts have been policed to almost extinction.  I believe that any coach who saw their wrestler performing any of these techniques would stop them immediately. 

Regardless of what rules we set in place there will always be someone who will find a loop hole or a way around it.  This is not to say we stop enacting rules to protect the kids.  But don't look at a few individuals and blame the whole system or wrestling program. 

I remember the old days of weigh cutting and I believe we are better educated about the process.

Most everyone is following the rules.

As you said, some will always be trying to bend the rules; but others are just plan breaking them.

We don't need anymore bad press about cutting weigh, health ect to give administrators another reason to cut out our sport.

Check out Baum's Page, GMV Holiday tourney, Peace was upset, Reid barely beat Matt Neal,,,,,,, very interesting. Overall, Ryle looks really tough, seen it!

Man I have to give it to Bryan Peace, he came back and got 3rd place after losing the 1st round to the kid who won. Peace wrestled 9 matches in 2 days, winning 8 matches, 4 by pin! Good job little bro, can't wait to see you win state again this year!

Neal did not make weight by .2 lbs., Peace looked like he was not himself even when he wasn't wrestling, he should bounce back. Vaughn got fourth. Who, besides the Coopers, have placed at GMV from SK?

If you are talking all time, there has been a ton of placers at the GMV from SK....even me (3rd in 88 :-).  The people I can think of for sure are:

Mike Lee - 1st jr year, 2nd sr year

Matt Lee - 4th jr year, 1st sr year MOW

Tommy Storms 1st or 2nd, multiple placer

Steven & Paul Kaiser - steven took 2nd to a PA state champ...not sure what Paul did

Jamie Brewer

Chuck Reimer

John Roth

Dave Barnes won it in 88, beat a D1 state runner up from Xenia in the finals

That's off the top of my head, there are probably more.  That is a beast of a tournament.  The competition has gone up for sure recently with Graham there.