Sign in to follow this  
Frank

Should 4th and 5th graders be able to wrestle for middle school?

Some parents are concerned about their children wrestling older more physically mature kids. Could some of you help them out with your collective wealth of knowledge and experience to set their mind at ease. I know some parents have unrealistic expectations of their children also. Lets see some good examples pro and con.

This topic has been discussed a lot with the middle school league.  I always brought up concerns about liability issues with this, but we never found anything that would be a problem if a 4th grader was injured wrestling an 8th grader.  I believe the USAW cards that we received for m.s. wrestling would cover the kids no matter what the age gap was. 

Some good examples that i can think of younger kids hanging with m.s. kids are:

Brent Hitchings 4th grade, m.s. state champ beat an 8th grader in the finals.

Johnny Meiman 3rd grade, took 3rd or 4th in m.s. state last year.

Most of the lighter weight classes are dominated by younger kids honestly.  I'd hesitate before I'd enter a 4th grader into a m.s. tournament at any weight class above 100 lbs.  The upper weights are mostly older kids.  It's a judgement call and parents & coaches have to take it case by case.  If your 4th grader has 16 inch biceps and can deadlift a car, he's probably ok for m.s. wrestling at any weight class.

[shadow=red,left] I agree with you about the heavier weights. Some 6th and 7th graders are intimidated by 8th graders who have hair under their arms. (lol). :cry:[/shadow]

This topic has been discussed a lot with the middle school league.  I always brought up concerns about liability issues with this, but we never found anything that would be a problem if a 4th grader was injured wrestling an 8th grader.  I believe the USAW cards that we received for m.s. wrestling would cover the kids no matter what the age gap was. 

Some good examples that i can think of younger kids hanging with m.s. kids are:

Brent Hitchings 4th grade, m.s. state champ beat an 8th grader in the finals.

Johnny Meiman 3rd grade, took 3rd or 4th in m.s. state last year.

Most of the lighter weight classes are dominated by younger kids honestly.  I'd hesitate before I'd enter a 4th grader into a m.s. tournament at any weight class above 100 lbs.  The upper weights are mostly older kids.  It's a judgement call and parents & coaches have to take it case by case.  If your 4th grader has 16 inch biceps and can deadlift a car, he's probably ok for m.s. wrestling at any weight class.

Does it matter what make and model the car is?  Have you written up any guidelines or criteria?  Just wondering if my son needs to be deadlifting my F150 or mustang?

I really comes down to the parents and the coach.  Parents and Coaches should take serious consideration before letting a Elementary School kid wrestle middle school kids.  I have seen over zealous parents push for there young one to be put in but the coaches have always said no.  Some kids are ready and some aren't.  It's not a problem if they are.  There isn't a standard.  If they are ready you'll know.  I've seen 8th graders that I shouldn't wrestle a 4th grader :roll:

Guest acwrestler32

i think its fine it gets them experienced for mid &high school so they can help out their schools wrestling program. it could help get the school more wins. and it could keep the 4th and 5th graders away from drugs and alcohol. lol