Sign in to follow this  
Sandman

Bluegrass

Tell me what Hitchings had to prove? He took 3rd at state at 152 as a freshman!  He didnt just beat Courtney, he man handled him. Not even a close match.   10 to 0   Way to go Hitchings!

He took third at state at a very average wt. class at best.  Only 2 or 3 good wrestlers and he only defeated one of them (Golsby), and only defeated Sheehan in a close match.

I agree that he is an oustanding wrestler and could possably be a state champ next year and defiantly his Jr. and Sr. year.  But Courtney has nothing to prove in these summer tourneys.  These tourneys are like a pick up game of basketball to the proven wrestlers, you go out have fun and don't worry about winning.

I was not there but my guess would be that Hitchings was getting psyched up for the match and was very focused.  Whereas Courtney probably walked out of the bleachers after hearing his name called for the match only marginally focused for the match. 

I'm bitting the bullet here, I'm finally convinced that Courntney may be one of if not the best wrestler to come out of KY. And those that have read my past posts know this is difficult for me to say about a Woodford Co. boy.  :-D :evil:

Yea you are probrably right Courtney looked like he was just having fun when he could not even score on Hitchings. He really looked like was just ellated with joy when Brad had him cranked up so tight that he could lick his own armpits.Hard to comment on a match since you were not there.But you are right at 145 Courtney is the boss .

Maybe Courtney didn't care and maybe he did.  Who knows.  But if you are implying that he took this match lightly, even though it was in the summer, then that doesn't say much for his competitive streak.  I think Harrison is an extremely talented wrestler and deep down all wrestlers care about whether they win or loss and it does not matter if it is in the summer or in February.  I would say Courtney is no different.  I know this doesn't count on his physical record next year, but come on.  He lost.  Just leave it at that and don't make excuses that is all I am saying.  As for Hitchings having anything to prove, well that is up to him.  I would venture to say the only thing he had to prove was to himself, not to you or anyone else.

OK, grappler chimed in so I have to give my 2 cents worth.  Besides, I haven't disagreed with him in a while.

First, as we have discussed on here a number of times, summer results can be a bit overrated, but they can also tell us a lot.  These tournaments need to be important and meaningful if the state wants to keep improving and progressing.  Just showing up for fun won't get us closer to the Big 10 states.  What we definitely learned on Saturday was that Hitchings will be a legit 71 pounder.  We also saw that our 2 state champs that were there are not unbeatable and need to stay on top of their game because everyone is gunning for them.

Second, while I agree that you don't have anywhere near the same focus as during the season, when everyone walked in and saw that bracket which included Courtney, Hitchings, and Brownfield (not to mention a few other competitive kids) they knew there were going to be some sparks flying.  So that should have increased the tension a bit.  Plus, after losing earlier in the day (to a university opponent), I would have expected him to be more on the offensive.

Third, tournaments like that make it difficult to prep for the big matches.  When you are in multiple brackets the sequence of matches can throw you off a bit.  Not making excuses for anyone, because I have no idea who was wrestling when, but it can be a factor in what should be a close match.

Fourth, I was standing right next to Harrison and his dad and the WC crew after the match.  And trust me, the outcome mattered to him.  He didn't just walk on that mat for the fun of it.

Finally, I'm with you grappler.  As someone who was raised to hate them and competed against them throughout my hs career, I am not a Woodford fan.  But I have a lot of respect for their hard work and accomplishments and would definitely put Harrison Courtney as one of the top wrestlers ever to come through KY.  I still wish he would have taken it to Joey Sanders back in 2005 and become a 5-timer.  My guess is that this match will be a good thing for both kids.  Hitchings gained some great confidence and affirmation of the hard work he has been putting in and Courtney got a kick in the shorts to motivate him for the coming months.

Wow.  I keep reading and re-reading my post and keep wondering why everyone is getting so upset about it.  I in no way impiety that Hitchings is not a great wrestler.  I just said that he probably was more focused before the match than Courtney.

Think about this.  If you are wrestling in a summer tournament and you are by far the favored to win before looking at the wt. class. You would not get ready for the matches the day or two before, or get extremely focused before the match.  If you are in a bracket with a top notch wrestler ie. Courtney, and you must wrestle him next you probably started focusing on it as soon as you saw the brackets.

I agree that this tourney shows us that Hitchings is no joke because he can stand with Courtney.  And Courtney, who we already know about is not untouchable unless he completely focuses on his matches. 

As for Courtney not liking being beaten, none likes to be beaten, even in a pick up game of basketball, football, or even checkers, especially if you are a competitive person.  (This is why my wife or kids won't play monopoly with me any more) I believe that wrestlers in general are competitive in nature.  We have to be because we get little accolades from fans or peers. 

I will still have to disagree with you on summer tournaments being important.  Yes they are important to have kids participate in them.  The more kids are on the mat the better they will get no matter how serious they take the matches.  Unlike most other sports this is the only opportunity for them to get any time in.  You can't just go in the backyard and start wrestling like you can with baseball or football and many other sports.  Wrestling does not need to get like football, where most coaches where blinders and only see football 12 months a year, and expect their players to do the same.  2-a-day, 3-a-days. 3-4 hour practices.  I have never understood why they think they need to practice so much, but that is another argument. 

I'm not sure how many attended the tourney, but what I would like to see is that we have 500+ at this tourney and three or four more throughout the year.  If our wrestlers can just get in one or two tournaments a month after the season their skills can improve greatly. 

Plus Ranger I had to get something going my karma hasn't decreased in awhile.   :evil::-D

Grappler,

You might want to consider one of those list like the one on the TV show "My Name is Earl", seems to improve his Karma for the good!

Wow.  I keep reading and re-reading my post and keep wondering why everyone is getting so upset about it.  I in no way impiety that Hitchings is not a great wrestler.  I just said that he probably was more focused before the match than Courtney.

I doubt anyone is really all that upset (maybe three is), but you made the comment that Brad placed 3rd in a "very average weight class at best".  From what I've heard...Pat Banks was on pace to set or break the career win record in the state of Kentucky??  Someone please correct me if i'm wrong here.  And he was the runner up.  Maybe you feel that way because there wasn't any big name 2X state champs, i don't know.  152 didn't appear to me to be "very average at best".

Brad beating Courtney was the buzz of the BGSG without a doubt.  You are probably right that Courtney might not have been as psyched up as Brad was, but i think even if these 2 meet during the upcoming season...it will be a very good match.  Make no mistake about it, this was not a fluke match.  Even if Courtney is completely focused and out for revenge Brad has a shot at beating him.  I'm not saying he will, but if you seen the match you would know, yes Hitchings can straight up beat Courtney..and I think Harrison would admit that.  This match could go either way.  Brad has improved that much since last season in my opinion.

Guest jp

Even though I only went 3-3 I think I did okay. I wrestled scared against Courtney. Majored a guy who majored me at state and I think I was the only person to take down Hitchings [inside trip]. Also, Brad Hitchings is a much better wrestler than I ever gave him credit for with an amazing 10-0 victory over Harrison Courtney.

Another suprise was Ethan Miller winning a decision over Matt Zarth.

So will Zarth stay at 119 this coming season or go up to 125?

Grappler,

You might want to consider one of those list like the one on the TV show "My Name is Earl", seems to improve his Karma for the good!

Nah :-D

I'm not out to improve my karma.  As a friend tells me (yes I do have a couple of friends  :-D)"say what you mean and mean what you say".  I kind of do that.  If you want to disagree with me that is great, it shows you have a mind of your own. 

I just want everyone to hear both sides of a story so that they can come to their own conclusions.

This is a discussion board, so I try to keep it lively.

Nah :-D

I'm not out to improve my karma.  As a friend tells me (yes I do have a couple of friends  :-D)"say what you mean and mean what you say".  I kind of do that.  If you want to disagree with me that is great, it shows you have a mind of your own. 

I just want everyone to hear both sides of a story so that they can come to their own conclusions.

This is a discussion board, so I try to keep it lively.

You definitely add some spice old man!  ;-)

So will Zarth stay at 119 this coming season or go up to 125?

If he can make 119 for this tourney then he will be 119 or less come february

Guest wrestler92

I would agree that 152 was soft last year after the top 5-6....Hitchings did look pretty good, but it is a big jump from 152 to 171.  It was also a big jump for courtney to go 171.  His match with hitching was about 5 minutes after his match with another top 10 ranked 171.  Pretty good showing though for a145 or 152.

I would agree that 152 was soft last year after the top 5-6....Hitchings did look pretty good, but it is a big jump from 152 to 171.  It was also a big jump for courtney to go 171.  His match with hitching was about 5 minutes after his match with another top 10 ranked 171.   Pretty good showing though for a145 or 152.

courtney i heard him say weighed in about 166

so dose that mean that Travis will be a 112 again

There is no doubt Sulivan will be at 112 again. He will not risk that undefeated high school record and four time state champ on a higher weight. Before anybody blows this statement out of proprtion; he could compete at a higher weight and probably win it but why risk it. I know you all are thinking so more colleges will look at you. But if he is an undefeated four time state champ and does ok at senior nationals he can go to any D1 school he wants, although I heard he already has his mind set on Campbellsville for some reason????? I wish he would at least go 119 so we could see him against some tougher competition or maybe a Evans Sullivan rematch considering somebody said Evans is in the 130 pound range.

There is no doubt Sulivan will be at 112 again. He will not risk that undefeated high school record and four time state champ on a higher weight. Before anybody blows this statement out of proprtion; he could compete at a higher weight and probably win it but why risk it. I know you all are thinking so more colleges will look at you. But if he is an undefeated four time state champ and does ok at senior nationals he can go to any D1 school he wants, although I heard he already has his mind set on Campbellsville for some reason????? I wish he would at least go 119 so we could see him against some tougher competition or maybe a Evans Sullivan rematch considering somebody said Evans is in the 130 pound range.

i see so what do yall think Martin will be 112 or 119