Sign in to follow this  
wrestlewatcher

Things to think about for Friday meeting (3/2)

I thought maybe I'd throw a couple of things out here for folks to give some consideration to before the meeting on Friday.  I know we can't solve all the woes in one night, but I don't want us acting with "knee jerk" reactions without having time to think things through. 

One of the things we may be able to consider is to have 2 divisions of youth wrestling in the state.  One that conforms with the Oct/Nov to Feb/March timeframe and one that starts later.  Call me pessimistic, but I don't see us making enough headway to get everyone on the same timeline by next year or even the year after that.  But if we acknowledge the two divisions and can communicate each schools choice, then they can have tournaments (regular tournaments, regional tournaments, and each division could hold state tournaments) in both divisions.  I think and hope that over time, one of the divisions would have more teams and better competition, and eventually the others would migrate to the bigger division, and in a few years we would be on the same page.  Just a thought.  I understand that in some areas of the state they start later because the middle school and high school coaches handle youth as well and can't start until those are finished.  In other areas they built their programs to be in sync with MS and HS, and that way their athletes don't have to choose between wrestling and football or baseball or soccer. 

Also-I am hoping that we can recruit leadership to help youth wrestling grow within the state.  It is my understanding that there may or may not have been an election last year, but whatever happened, we have a President.  Is our state program any better off this year than we were last year?  I can't answer that question for anyone except for the team that I am affiliated with, but my response would be no.  If your team's answer is no, then please come Friday night and give thoughtful consideration to volunteering to help us grow this sport statewide.  If your answer is yes, then please come and share what was done to improve the state program.  As we continue to move forward we can all learn from each other, but we need to establish a forum for communication and collaboration.  If we do this effectively, our kids are the beneficiaries.

Please post your topics if you have suggestions for consideration.  Please refrain from slamming anyone else's ideas or "griping".  Let's brainstorm and be open to everyone's suggestions and be respectful of their thoughts.

I think the idea of 2 divisions is very interesting--that could solve some immediate problems and hopefully as programs grow the leadership and coaching options would grow with it and we may all have enough coaches to cover all divisions at one time.

Some other things that I hope get discussed/determined include: 

1.  A board of elected officials--all officials--who will commit to meeting and planning regardless of time involved.

2.  A definite weight/age division that does not change--personally, I like the USA divisions.  I know that there are a lot of divisions there, but at this age 1 year of experience or 5 pounds is a tremendous difference.  If we are going to keep the kids interested they must have the opportunity to be successful.

3.  Hosting sites for Regional and State Tournament guidelines.

4.  An elementary tournament season--we need wrestling opportunities in state for our younger children.

5.  Permanent eligibility requirements for Kentucky youth wrestling (Primarily--state tournament requirements).

The list could go on and on, but I am sure there will be much to discuss on Friday...hopefully everyone will attend.

I think the idea of 2 divisions is very interesting--that could solve some immediate problems and hopefully as programs grow the leadership and coaching options would grow with it and we may all have enough coaches to cover all divisions at one time.

Some other things that I hope get discussed/determined include: 

1.  A board of elected officials--all officials--who will commit to meeting and planning regardless of time involved.

2.  A definite weight/age division that does not change--personally, I like the USA divisions.  I know that there are a lot of divisions there, but at this age 1 year of experience or 5 pounds is a tremendous difference.  If we are going to keep the kids interested they must have the opportunity to be successful.

3.  Hosting sites for Regional and State Tournament guidelines.

4.  An elementary tournament season--we need wrestling opportunities in state for our younger children.

5.  Permanent eligibility requirements for Kentucky youth wrestling (Primarily--state tournament requirements).

The list could go on and on, but I am sure there will be much to discuss on Friday...hopefully everyone will attend.

These are great suggestions!  Thanks so much for offering them.  We hope to see you on Friday night.

wrestlewatcher...when you say divisions, you are referring to 2 different seasons or time frames that teams wrestle in, right?  If so, i think that is an outstanding idea.  Other states do that such as New Jersey (a very strong wrestling state).  I think would help prevent kids from getting burnt out. 

if there's more to the divisions such as we have 2 state tournaments, then in my opinion...i'd want to know more. 

We are moving to Kentucky next week from Northwest Ohio.  In Ohio we have two State Championships - Grade School State which has been around for awhile and Ourway State which in only a couple of years old.  Both tournaments are ran well and have good turnouts.  My son competes in both because they offer him what he is looking for.  The ability to improve through competition, I believe if the board keeps that in mind it really doesn't matter how many state tournaments you have as long as they help the kids.  I for one am looking forward to moving to Kentucky and I will definitely volunteer my time at my kids new school to help grow the sport.  Wrestling has a lot to offer youth, just keep that as your number one objective and all else will fall into place.

wrestlewatcher...when you say divisions, you are referring to 2 different seasons or time frames that teams wrestle in, right?  If so, i think that is an outstanding idea.  Other states do that such as New Jersey (a very strong wrestling state).  I think would help prevent kids from getting burnt out. 

if there's more to the divisions such as we have 2 state tournaments, then in my opinion...i'd want to know more. 

The need for the divisions is to accommodate the two different "seasons" that we seem to have in the state.  But with there being two divisions, I would think that each one would have their own regional and state tourneys. 

The need for the divisions is to accommodate the two different "seasons" that we seem to have in the state.  But with there being two divisions, I would think that each one would have their own regional and state tourneys. 

Based on the feedback we got on here when Conner & JC was planning on running 2 different tourneys...i don't think many people would like to see 2 different divisions with 2 different state tourneys & regionals. 

This is another Idea to add to the mix. Due to the large numbers of Elementary wrestlers, why not make two divisions of East and West to compensate for our very long state. Have regional tournaments in each region to qualify for the Elementary State. This could also spark East vs. West Allstar Duals, etc.

This is another Idea to add to the mix. Due to the large numbers of Elementary wrestlers, why not make two divisions of East and West to compensate for our very long state. Have regional tournaments in each region to qualify for the Elementary State. This could also spark East vs. West Allstar Duals, etc.

:-D :-D I like this idea, gives us more reasons to wrestle.  :-D :-D